cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Right size truck ???

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I kind of think he may have needed a larger tow vehicle. A Nash is heavy to begin with and then 30' ???
Yesterday near home

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today
22 REPLIES 22

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
No way that trailer is near 30 ft.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^ how long is a new crew cab Taco? Like 16-17' maybe? By the pic, the trailer box is barely if any longer than that. Maybe 20' tops plus the tongue. Could be an looks like it would be within the limits of a new Taco. What's the diff between a mid size truck towing a 2 ton 20' ish trailer and a full size HD towing a 30-40' trailer?
My sled trailer is a 28' plus vee, so 32' long box plus the tongue, makes it 35-36' hitch to tail lights. It doesn't feel squirrelly behind my Mega or my 1500 Silverado.

Huge gust could have pushed him over. Those semis you see sometimes in the ditch on their side didn't get there by unicorn farts and no one would say the tractor is undersized, right? It happens. That or operator error.
Either way glad the driver was un injured and what a terrible experience to have......regardless of cause.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
St. George News wrote:

......single-vehicle rollover .....involved a black Toyota Tacoma pickup truck pulling a Nash 30-foot trailer.

I don't nitpick weights terribly. If the trailer is within the rated specs for the truck then it should pull the load.

But.... C'mon.....seriously?!?!? The guy was pulling a 30' TT with a Taco? A sub-1/2 ton truck pulling a TT that borders on the 1/2T - 3/4T weight range? I don't think this should be a surprise to anyone. I just spent the last 2 weeks in the Rockies. There are crosswinds out there...lot's of them, and often very strong. It's very fortunate that this guy didn't take out someone else in his huge mistake.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hammerhead wrote:
Doesn't look like a 30 footer from the photos in the link and comparing them to the current models on Nash's site where all the longer trailers have slide outs.

Probably a 23B, 28' long, close enough for a journalist.

*Edit*
I take it back, looking at the last photo unless the perspective is all wrong the trailer is barely longer than the Tacoma, nowhere near 30'.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
Structurally, that trailer sure held its shape. Most other trailers in crash pictures don't hold up nearly as well.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I just don't understand why people won't reach down and grab the trailer brake controller. One little squeeze of the controller would have straightened him right out.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
30' is a stretch lol! But makes for better news and better complaints by the weight cops.....

Just playing csi here, but looks like he was headed downhill? Probably a good candidate for sway control?
I'd say either his story is true and a big gust swept him up like Dorothy and toto or he got squirrelly goin too fast down the hill and jammed the brakes and it folded.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't look like a 30 footer from the photos in the link and comparing them to the current models on Nash's site where all the longer trailers have slide outs.