cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road trip suggestions wanted..Oregon

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ok so here is the deal. I have 9 days, two are taken up getting out of and back into California ( I can reach Crater lake with light to spare in one day from home).

Cascade Volcano's are high on the list. We may go as far as Hood but definitely up to Bend which the wife wants to visit. Toys: Bicycles, Flat water sit on top Kayaks, hiking gear and Fly fishing gear.

Boondocking or NFS style campgrounds preferred, no RV parks or KOA's

Time frame: Sept 13-21 2014

fire away
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
19 REPLIES 19

GoFish
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon???
Nothing to see here, folks.
Move along, move along.
:W

GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax/Allison
Torklift Super hitch and tie downs, Rancho 9000's

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!!! Good work! THX for doing this..all of you that fight fires. I can only say that I have been thru advanced firefighting for ships. Did it at the simulator at MERTS, Astoria, OR.

Intense and you don't forget...The worst for me was being the incident C.O., Where are my crews why don't they call in? Then the instructor says it has only been a minute since the last transmission...felt like 30 minutes!

I have a healthy respect for fire and salute all that do the work. THANK YOU!!! Capt. PJ
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

SheepCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1
While I still work fire line on my local volunteer department, like you, I leave that heavy work to the young men and women that chase fire all summer. I now spend my time making sure that those firefighters get what they need when they come off the line. I now set up and run the large fire camps with a few hundred to over a thousand firefighters in camp.
This is our camp at the Entiat High School in Washington two weeks ago. Columbia River is about a ยผ mile east. My job was to shut down this camp down and return the property back to the school to prepare for classes. I then rebuilt it about 6 miles up the Entiat River at the Entiat National Fish Hatchery. The school is in the background, from left to right, little yellow thing is part of our supply cache, the semi with door is a shower unit, the funny army green tent is where the camp crew prepared up to 1000 sack lunches a day. The circus tents are the eating area with semiโ€™s just right in the distance are refrigerated semis for food and ice. Yellow flyโ€™s in background are the kitchen trailers where breakfast and dinner are prepared and served. Green box in middle is a 100KW generator to power the show. Tents and trailers to right are camp crew and kitchen help. Throw in a few porta potties and hand wash stations and it is just like home. Firefighters slept on the football field behind the trees. The new camp was set up with the idea of it being used until the fall rains or snow come. May be back up that way in a week or two.

01 F350 CC SRW 7.3 Diesel
05 Lance 845
96 Jeep Cherokee, Beaches of Baja
79 Jeep CJ7, Moab Rocks

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
trust me guys, as a recently retired wildland fire fighter I stay well informed on fire conditions and weather forecasts.

training in my younger days ( me on the nozzle)

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Dewclaw
Explorer II
Explorer II
Checking the fire situation is a very good idea. I usually do that before I start a trip so that I don't blunder into something. Another source of info is this handy fire map. http://www.nwccweb.us/information/firemap.aspx
2008 Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic SE
2007 GMC 2500HD

SheepCamp
Explorer
Explorer
While your trip is a ways off, need to keep an eye on the wildfires in Washington and Oregon. Their fire season normally does not start until about Aug 1st, but it has been rocking already for about a month this year. Just got back for 18 days running fire camps in Central Oregon and near Leavenworth WA. Last camp I set up was with the idea it would be occupied until the rains or snow come this fall. Several new fires in the last few days.

Daily Fire Situation Report

Be safe and hope you have a wonderful trip. Who knows, I may be back up there again by then.
01 F350 CC SRW 7.3 Diesel
05 Lance 845
96 Jeep Cherokee, Beaches of Baja
79 Jeep CJ7, Moab Rocks

Dewclaw
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a lot of lakes and NSF campgrounds, as well as places to boondock along the Cascade Lakes Highway (officially Cascade Lakes National Scenic Byway or NSF Road 42). Go west on Hwy 58 (off Hwy 97) about 14 miles and turn north onto the Cascade Lakes Highway (signs may indicate Road 1351 or something different at the turn off, but it is a paved road). The Cascade Lakes Highway will take you north, around Mt. Bachelor, and into Bend. You could easily spend all of your time exploring along it. Fill your gas tank at Chemult, south of the Hwy 58 junction, because there are few services until you get to Bend.

Check the Fish and Wildlife Recreation Report before you leave home to get the latest fishing info. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/index.asp

Also get a copy of the fishing regulations and study it closely. The regs are more complicated every year and the local advice is to have a lawyer in your tackle box. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2008 Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic SE
2007 GMC 2500HD

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Bend, been here for 30 years. I'd recommend the Cascade Lakes Highway near Mt Bachelor. Sparks lake is particularly scenic and a great place to explore with the kayak and hike up around Broken Top. There is a NF horse camp right right off the highway near Mt Bachelor (across from the Todd Lake road) that is very nice, and you don't have to have a horse. Or there is a small NF campground near the spur road to Sparks Lake. LOTS of other NF campgrounds all along the Cascade Lake Highway.

BlueCoyote
Explorer
Explorer
We found Little Cultus Lake amazing- off the beaten path. Waldo lake is cool to visit, then to anything along the he Cascade Lakes Hiway is great.
Camp Sherman area is nice as well.
2005 EnduraMax - camping with a lift gate
1990 Chevy V3500
1987 Bigfoot C11.5 - 4 sale

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
If the weather isn't great on the west side, I'd be tempted to go up to Alturas. Just west of town on 299 is a county road #73 (aka Crowder Flat Road). 50 miles of gravel through the Modoc NF into the Fremont NF of southern OR. Lots of pot hole lakes for fishing. NF Lofton Reservoir CG is a nice area. A lot of the development roads in the Fremont area are paved, so nice road bike riding. Most CG in this area don't have water. Plenty of back routes to get you to Bend.

2x Newberry Crater National Monument. A very large obsidian flow hike inside the crater is really amazing. Little Crater CG on Paulina lake is very nice if you can get a spot.

After all the usual activities in Bend and Sisters, consider heading west over McKenzie Pass (Hwy 242 out of Sisters) very pretty, with an impressive lava flow at the top of the pass. Narrow curvy road, but very doable. Take some FS development roads to the south and east through the Willamette and Umpqua NF back over to the Diamond lake area. Time will go fast, jump on 97 south but when you get to Klamath Falls consider taking 39 SE toward Hatfield, or just north of Doris head east on 161 toward Hatfield. Then back route it to the Lava Beds National Monument Caves before heading home.

If you use a charting/mapping program on a laptop, like Delorme or MS that can import waypoints, I have an excel file or text file you can PM me for which will locate 566 NF, State Park and National parks and monuments in Oregon by GPS position. Makes free form trips in the region easy.

Everybody on the west coast should be checking out central / eastern Oregon as the last total eclipse of the sun in the US, until almost 2050, will happen on 8/21/2017

'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

cinca
Explorer
Explorer
There were two posts regarding Oregon . . .

Topic: Ideas on camping spots? Picking up my 2015 wolf creek in May
Posted By: anutami on 03/25/14 10:49pm
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27612650/print/true.cfm

Topic: Wolf Creek 850 Break in Period TR Oregon to the Redwoods
Posted By: anutami on 06/02/14 07:17pm
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27746140/print/true.cfm

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Buzz,
There are a lot of nice places in Oregon. Even just taking a chance on something would likely be rewarding.
An old trip report of ours along the Oregon coast and mountains up through Hood River.
Along the caost, there is a river between Reedsport and Florence with three NFS CGs all of which are nice. We would hike along the river to the ocean about a mile for some beautiful scenery along the way and walking along the beach. Lots of Eagles and sea birds.

Another spot we really liked was in the mountains called Cascadia SP east of I-5 on Hwy 20 which will also take you towards Bend. There are pictures and information about it in the middle or so of this report. We really liked it there and extended our stay it was so relaxing. You can swim and fish in the river pools beneath the bridge as you come into the CG. When we were there, a very nice retired vet would gather folks around the flag pole and talk about the flag and it's care as he performed the daily retiring of the flag. There is an ancient Native American campsite about a half mile hike through the woods. There is a nice trail that hikes up hill from the CG to a water fall. We found the CG to be impressively well maintained.
From there you can continue west on 20 then head north on 22 to Detroit lake. Turn East onto Breitenbush road where with a detailed map, you can take the forest roads to Mt Hood and down to Hood River. A spectacular drive all the way. Just for fun, drive through the little campgrounds along the road. They are really pretty little diversions. One has or had an artesian pump well you could use for drinking.
Have yourself a great trip.

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
For boondocking next to a lake, try Crane Prairie Reservoir on the south side of the lake off of NF-4285. I was able to get my tall DRW rig in there and down to the water with no damage, but it was very tight. Crane Prairie is off of the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway (46) and is a great place to spend a couple of days before you head into Bend. It's between Crater Lake and Bend. Take mosquito repellant. There are lots of private spots, but most of them were taken 4th of July week so it took us a while to finally find one. Well worth it though.

We took a week-long trip through Oregon earlier this year, and our favorite campground (not boondocking) was Nehalem Bay state park on the coast near Manzanita. 2nd was Jackson F Kimball state park, which is just south of Crater Lake ($11 / night). 3rd was Maryhill on the Columbia river. We did not care for Beverley Beach at all. If I had it to do all over again I would spend more time at Crater Lake and Crane Prairie and the rest at Nehalem/Manzanita.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut,

Try Hosmer Lake located on Century Drive outside of Bend. Fly fishing only with trout and atlantic salmon fishing. No motors on the lake so very peaceful. Small forest service campground, but could be a good base camp for all of centeral Oregon. Great for Kayaks as well.

Enjoy!