cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadside Assistance

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Renewal time is near and curious as to who you use. Main concern is getting a recovery vehicle safe enough to handle Truck and TC together. I've seen some scary pics. in the past, any suggestions ? Thanks in advance K.
21 REPLIES 21

realter
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got a hold of somebody, and he extended my membership 3 months. No explanation of the various prices. I hope I never have to use it.

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use "u.s. Rider??
They have towed my truck, and 40 ft horse trailer twice.
I've not had to call them on my TC and truck though.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little confused. Since the truck is 6 years old, and Good Sam Roadside Assistance seems to be highly spoken of here, I decided today to sign up. The ad said $79.95, but when I clicked that I am not a GS member, the price changed to $89.95. So I enrolled online. Now less than 4 hours later, I get an email form GS offering me a membership of $69.95, and it says the regular price is $112.95. WHAT GIVES? There are a number of reviews on the website, most are very critical of the service. Posters on rv.net appear to be happy, for the most part.

When I called GS, they haven't processed my order yet, saying they do that at midnight, so the lady could not check on anything for me.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Coach Net has been very very good to me.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
I have a silly amount of redundant coverage as I try to figure out who will actually take care of me if I have a problem on the road. Being in MA with an F350 dually it has commercial plates. Here any vehicle with more than 4 wheels on the ground must register commercial even though it is only used for personal use. Good Sam won't tow it because it has a commercial plate, AAA won't tow it either and they refused me when I broke down in Canada. Ford covered my tow and they hauled it with the TC in place, free, 60 miles to Kamloops. I also have Foremost Insurance which is supposed to tow and cover trip interruptions etc.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
we have good sam. We have used it twice for cars. Never for the TC. We had a problem getting Good Sam to use a local towing company that was just 10 miles away but not on their list. The nearest company on their list was 100 miles away.
We opted to just use our local company out of our pocket and cancel good Sam.
But we did complain to "Dear Marcus " and we were contacted by a very nice representative and they paid for the local towing and set it up so it wouldn't happen again.
Sure enough a couple months later a different vehicle of ours needed towing and it was handled without any problems. Very impressed that they fixed a problem in the system.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I had a neighbor drive the right wheels of his vehicle into a shallow ditch placing the frame on the ground. After waiting a few hours AAA showed up, looked at the situation and said "sorry, we will not touch that".

I offered my service with my tractor and told him which way to turn the steering wheel and retrieved his vehicle without a scratch to anything.

I am contemplating Good Sam. My daughter has AAA and has used in for a lock out issue twice.

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
I to dropped AAA a couple of yrs ago, just didn't ever need them. But I'm driving an old Dodge Cummins so I figured I better get something! I checked with my ins co, State Farm & they tell me that with road side assistance, they will only tow my rig (TC & enclosed trailer) to THE nearest repair facility. If I want to go further to another dealer for example, then I would have to pay for the added distance.
They said that they would take care of both the TC & trailer. sometimes the tow co will bill State Farm & sometimes I would have turn in the receipts for reimbursements. Who knows, hopefully I won't have to find out on our coming trip. They also do provide assistance if I lock myself out or run out fuel.
I figured that at 3-4$ per month this is a great deal. Hopefully my young agent got it right, I guess time may tell.

joe123
Explorer
Explorer
good Sam, have used them a lot always good service rate is good also.

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to just add it to your insurance policy. State Farm for me.
You just call up any tow company you want and they direct bill your insurance.

In fact just used it yesterday for my old '77 truck....it broke down at home. Left the key in the cup holder and called it in from the office. They towed it in while I was at work to the automotive place. allowing me to work 12 hours without worrying about it. My agent will approve the $$.

I've heard to many horror stories about AAA towing to never use them again. When I used them as a college student it was horrible. Not all tow companies want to deal with AAA....
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

erzastrow
Explorer
Explorer
I also have AAA premier w/RV coverage. I've been quite happy with them on the 3 occasions I've needed them (2 with a car, 1 with the TC). The only issue I had was when the TC broke down. The AAA person I was talking to had no clue what a truck camper was when I tried to tell her what I had (made for a interesting conversation - she kept thinking it was a trailer) and as a result, the 1st rig that showed up wasn't heavy enough and he had to call a 2nd truck.

Bedlam
I use Good Sam because it is for all drivers in the household for all vehicles. I don't just have the truck and TC, but also trailers, motorcycles and old cars. The fact that everything and everyone is covered makes it easy.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
I signed up for AAA "Platinum" with RV coverage. Of interest was the 1-way 200mile tow. At ~$175 it was not cheap.

My mailbox is seemingly always getting filled up with "GoodSam" letters. Do they provide better/less expensive towing coverage for 4WD+TC owners?

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
bcaa with rv coverage.they say the'll even tow the boat and truck/camper together.we'll see.i trust my winch to get me unstuck.the roadside is for catastrophic breakdown.my truck extended warranty also has tow coverage as well,so i'm triple covered.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat