cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rodent damage

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
I just got my truck back yesterday from the shop. Rodents chewed up the wiring under the hood. Repair cost $1,550. My first experience of this sort.

The repair shop gave me advice to place “Mouse Magic” peppermint scent packets under the hood which I have done. I am also increasing rodent precautions around my property in response. Am even thinking seriously of getting a cat.

Any other good advice is welcome. Thanks.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!
13 REPLIES 13

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
https://youtu.be/SIoLSUeh2bA
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Had recurring problems with rodents. Got a barn cat about 6 years ago. No problems since. Taking applications for a replacement as current mouser is set to retire.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Iraqvet05 wrote:
Most of those threads don't apply here. Not sure how you would even begin to seal off an engine compartment.
I guess he's putting a cat under the hood.
Lol ! My mom had a 77 Corvette that sat for months one winter for some mechanical issue. When a neighbor opened the hood to look at it, an opossum had made a home in the radiator cowl.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iraqvet05 wrote:
Most of those threads don't apply here. Not sure how you would even begin to seal off an engine compartment.
I guess he's putting a cat under the hood.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Get this, www.rid-a-rat.com/index.html .

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
had critters get into my f150 engine area insurer took care of the $1600. bill

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
This works, leave your hood open, not all the way, but enough , maybe twelve inches or so. There is no place for the mice to hide, and they won't chew the wiring, we do this in remote campsites, it works.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years, we've had severe rat problems. Different vehicles to the shop for repair at least 4 times. Have tried several things. Best things that work for us is cleaning up the property and putting shop lights on the ground under the car, or actually in the engine compartment (similar to placing LED lights mentioned above). I plug them in with a timer set on "dusk to dawn". Haven't had a problem since. Works while we are home and while we are away for months at a time.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Live in the mountains and tried everything under the sun, dryer sheets, peppermint oil, sonic devices and so on to no avail.

What I did to get rid of them is kill all of them within a 50 yard radius around the house.

Placed gallon jugs full of poison bait balls everywhere with a small hole in jugs that only a mouse could get in so bigger critters didn't suffer.

At first the mice were purging, going through close to a gallon a night to......haven't seen a mouse in years, seriously.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a full time Park Host we have several favorite assigments that have a mouse issue. We have found a string of LED lights around the bottom of the 5er do a very good job of keeping the mice away, not perfect but very close.
I took it a step further and took a section of LED light strip and place around the perimeter of my engine bay, and plug in anytime parked, this has been very effective. Before I did this mice started to destroy the battery jackets in my ram. I placed the lights and replaced the jackets, no issues since.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Keep mice away 2007
Prevent mice 2011
Kill/prevent mice 2011
Mice 2013
Mice, Apr 2014
Mice, August 2014
peppermint oil - mice 2015
Mice - get rid of 2015
Mice - mothballs etc 2016
mice- July 2016

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you file with your insurance company and, if so, did they cover it?

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015