cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roof ladder???

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
I am coming to ground on a travel trailer and need advice. The dealer is recommending not installing a roof ladder as it makes holes in the TT and can give unwanted access to the roof. The roof ladder would allow me to inspect the roof and equipment that is up there, and I believe comes with the model I am looking at.

Any advice on roof ladders is appreciated. Should I get the model with it installed or the same model without it?

Thanks,
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab
20 REPLIES 20

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Won't have an RV without a walk-on roof and a ladder

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic Fox comes with one and a rack to carry IDK what. I would'nt use it but it is nice to get up and clean the vents and a/c and look at the roof.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
The WhiteHawk we purchased last November came with a roof ladder as part of a "value package". Its roof mounts are also the first thing I had to recaulk. I agree with the dealer, a ladder is another source of potential leaks; a step ladder or one of those collapsible ladders you can buy at CW will do the job.

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
My new camper came with a ladder and it being new and all I used it to go up and look things over. While I was up there I noticed the my slide roof needed swept- was covered with pine needles from a nearby tree.

So opinions will vary for sure. Mine does put two more holes in the roof to inspect...

If my camper had not have come with one I would have probably skipped it. On the other hand I was kinda glad that I had it there this weekend.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Ours didn't come with one so we had one installed. Our last tt did not, nor did it have a walk on roof. We decided when shopping for a new one that it was a requirement. I go up there when we pack up on each camping trip to check everything and do any needed maintenance.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
How often are you expecting to go up on the roof? For a once or twice a year inspection it is easier to do it with a ladder. I have a ladder with bottom extension and have used it twice in years. Usually inspect the roof when I wax which is done in a shop using scaffolding. JMHO
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.