cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running roof ac while driving

Thestigmach1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm preparing to make a long trip and buying a travel trailer. It will be something a bit older like early 2000s and around 24ftish. I'd like to be able to have my dogs ride in the trailer while traveling. I know this controversial but I've weighed the benefits and risks and I'm ok with it. Also there's no where else for them to ride. Way to big to ride in the cab, and the reason for posting here too hot to ride in the bed with a camper shell. A big problem that I'm presented with is the heat. Is it possible, and safe to wire up an generator that would ride on the back to run the ac in the camper? I'd have it sit on one of those receiver hitch platforms. How much power do these really pull? I'd like to run the fridge too but that's optional. How long could I run off the house batteries? Im talking 2000 miles of driving most likely almoat non stop ( ill have multiple drivers) Maybe wire the batteries to charge off my truck battery? I did that with an winch on my car trailer.
70 REPLIES 70

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Hardwire it in and use one of these Auto Transfer Switch so there's no possibility of flipping switches "wrongly". Crank up the generator and 30 seconds later everything switches automatically.

"Wrongly"?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Thestigmach1 wrote:
Im planning on having the gen on a hitch platform behind the trailer.

Thereby unloading the trailer tongue with so much weight so far aft of the axles. :R And is this "hitch platform" going to be welded or bolted to the trailer's main frame members? Hope so. 😉

Then run the wire, which is like 30amp right, under the traler and up into the junction box.

Your trailer, you can do what you want, but I sure wouldn't be comfortable running live 120 vac along the underside of any trailer bouncing down the highway. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Thestigmach1
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Thestigmach1 wrote:
What exactly did you mean by energize the truck or trailer with the generator? Im planning on having the gen on a hitch platform behind the trailer. Then run the wire, which is like 30amp right, under the traler and up into the junction box. There ill have a shutoff swtich for it so i dont risk having shore power ruin the generator. The generstor that id be usig has a 12hr run time. Id stop way before then both for fuel and to let the dogs out. They would have a worse time riding in a cage. They have never been in a cage in their lives and would probably lose it completly. I'd love to be able to buy a new one. If I could I'd just buy one like someone said earlier with a gender already in it and be done. Or even better buy an rv and be done. But unfortunately the check book gave me a mean look when I mentioned that idea. So I'm with buying a used one. I've rode in my uncles camper, he has 25 ft something or another don't remember the make. I'll admit it's not the most comfortable thing in the world but I wouldnt have a problem with riding there for a trip. I can't put my monsters in the cab of the truck each one takes up an entire bench seat and I'll have 3 passengers plus myself. If it was just me they'd ride in the cab no questions asked. Before anyone else asks no I can't have someone watch them. They scare most everyone and only obey me, which is how I trained them. I know it gets hotter than hell in the bed of the pickup. I put a thermometer in there in the summer with all the windows open and it got way above the outside temperature.i even road in there to see if the wind makes any difference and I had to get out not even 10min down the road. S s no way a polar bear (great pyrenees) and German Shephard could ride in there.

Typically, when someone quotes a post within a thread, he is responding to that post (just like I am doing here), instead of the entire thread.

Good luck with however you handle the dog thing. If you're going to mount a generator on the rear of the trailer, make sure you attach the platform to the frame and not just the bumper.

I only did it that way because a lot of people replied and didn't want to write separate responses for each. I didn't get notified for some reason. I am now though. It would be mounted like you would for bike rack. Those seem to be pretty heavy duty. The gunny only weighs about 100 lbs I'd I remember right.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again, adding the AC will work if your TT rides smooth enough for your intended purpose.

Mine does not ride smooth others do. You will have to be the judge of that.

You will also have to determine if your dog or dogs are upset by traveling down the road alone. Some are, some are not.

Personally I prefer to have the hound in the passenger seat behind me.

At any rate, it is best to know before you spend the money.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Thestigmach1 wrote:
What exactly did you mean by energize the truck or trailer with the generator? Im planning on having the gen on a hitch platform behind the trailer. Then run the wire, which is like 30amp right, under the traler and up into the junction box. There ill have a shutoff swtich for it so i dont risk having shore power ruin the generator. The generstor that id be usig has a 12hr run time. Id stop way before then both for fuel and to let the dogs out. They would have a worse time riding in a cage. They have never been in a cage in their lives and would probably lose it completly. I'd love to be able to buy a new one. If I could I'd just buy one like someone said earlier with a gender already in it and be done. Or even better buy an rv and be done. But unfortunately the check book gave me a mean look when I mentioned that idea. So I'm with buying a used one. I've rode in my uncles camper, he has 25 ft something or another don't remember the make. I'll admit it's not the most comfortable thing in the world but I wouldnt have a problem with riding there for a trip. I can't put my monsters in the cab of the truck each one takes up an entire bench seat and I'll have 3 passengers plus myself. If it was just me they'd ride in the cab no questions asked. Before anyone else asks no I can't have someone watch them. They scare most everyone and only obey me, which is how I trained them. I know it gets hotter than hell in the bed of the pickup. I put a thermometer in there in the summer with all the windows open and it got way above the outside temperature.i even road in there to see if the wind makes any difference and I had to get out not even 10min down the road. S s no way a polar bear (great pyrenees) and German Shephard could ride in there.

Typically, when someone quotes a post within a thread, he is responding to that post (just like I am doing here), instead of the entire thread.

Good luck with however you handle the dog thing. If you're going to mount a generator on the rear of the trailer, make sure you attach the platform to the frame and not just the bumper.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Hardwire it in and use one of these Auto Transfer Switch so there's no possibility of flipping switches "wrongly". Crank up the generator and 30 seconds later everything switches automatically.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It would be better to use a female outlet and plug in the shore power cord to the generator. That way it is impossible to have shore power and generator power at the same time.

A switch might accidentally be left in the wrong position. If you insist on a switch get one that switches all the wires and that has 3 positions.

A = shore
B = no power
C = generator

The plug is a much cheaper and simpler solution.

Thestigmach1 wrote:
Then run the wire, which is like 30amp right, under the traler and up into the junction box. There ill have a shutoff swtich for it so i dont risk having shore power ruin the generator.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Thestigmach1
Explorer
Explorer

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Practically, it's not a big deal. There's a potential hazard, though. If the connecting cord from truck to trailer becomes damaged while the generator is running, there is the possibility of energizing the metal of the towing vehicle. Besides damage to the vehicle, there exists the potential for shock/electrocution.

Would that mean you were driving a "hot" pickup? Just kidding, there are millions of things that can go wrong when one leaves the house.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Not that big a deal to run a generator in the bed of a pickup with the trailer plugged into it while towing. Many have done it. Easy to monitor and dogs will be cool. Get a big enough generator. 3500 watts is a great match for the trailer you mentioned.
Practically, it's not a big deal. There's a potential hazard, though. If the connecting cord from truck to trailer becomes damaged while the generator is running, there is the possibility of energizing the metal of the towing vehicle. Besides damage to the vehicle, there exists the potential for shock/electrocution.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
A trailer designed to install and use a RV genset would be easier than trying to work out a location to install generator on a RV not so equipped, and providing ad hoc electrical connections and fuel supply.

Northwood makes some generator-ready models in their Arctic Fox line. Several lines of fifth-wheels, particularly toy haulers.

For a trailer, fuel supply is most likely LPG. A generator large enough to reliably power your RV air conditioner will go through about 3-4 pounds of fuel per hour, whether that is gasoline or LPG. Keeping up with fuel needs could be your most pressing problem keeping air conditioning running. In motorhomes, this is usually managed by tapping the large fuel supply for the engine that moves the RV.

I think buying a new TT just to get a generator might be easier. However, it's sure not the most practical or inexpensive solution to the problem.

My Honda 3000 can run about 20 hours on a single fill of the internal fuel tank. That's long enough for any single days drive I'll be doing. "Keeping up with the fuel needs" is not what I consider a "pressing problem".
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have done what you are looking for in both of my fifth wheels. I have 2 Honda EU200's in parallel in the truck bed and extension cord to the trailer. It was done to cool the trailer down before I get to my destination or when going on extended trips, being able to run them while i overnight at WM or flying j or whereever. I know others will say after 1hr theirs is like a meat locker inside after getting to the cg and turning on the ac but mine does not cool down that fast.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I have often wondered why a horse trailers seems to be able to keep hay and tackle in place and they tell me the horses adapt to the road.

All I know is if you do not secure the items in our TT, they will be on the floor and scattered.

Maybe a horse trailer owner can enlighten us.

We have forgot to put the salt and pepper away, left them on the stove. Left two two way radios on dinette table. Salt and pepper and radios still sitting where we left them after three hours on the road.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A trailer designed to install and use a RV genset would be easier than trying to work out a location to install generator on a RV not so equipped, and providing ad hoc electrical connections and fuel supply.

Northwood makes some generator-ready models in their Arctic Fox line. Several lines of fifth-wheels, particularly toy haulers.

For a trailer, fuel supply is most likely LPG. A generator large enough to reliably power your RV air conditioner will go through about 3-4 pounds of fuel per hour, whether that is gasoline or LPG. Keeping up with fuel needs could be your most pressing problem keeping air conditioning running. In motorhomes, this is usually managed by tapping the large fuel supply for the engine that moves the RV.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Thousands of animals ride in trailers everyday. Many of them are highly prized performance animals. National champions in their venues etc.
For those of you that have trailers that have such rough rides, suspension upgrades can do a LOT about that. I have the Equalflex on my TT. Many times we have acciddently left an open can of soda etc. on the counter, and arrive at camp to find it still there, and not a drop spilled. And our trips always involve many miles of unimproved dirt roads to reach camp.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW