cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picking up my FIRST RV / TT on Saturday!

jpochard
Explorer
Explorer
No real questions here...just an introduction. I have always loved traveling on the road vs. flying. I've been in every state EXCEPT Alaska and California. Planning now for a solo trip this fall from near Indy, north to the NW area, down the Pacific coast and back to Indy. Since I will be gone over a month, I started thinking about doing so with an RV. We have a 2012 Ford F-150 Lariat as a TV. Although I've never towed, I'm confident in my abilities to learn. As a Newbie, I wanted to make this purchase early so that I have several months to become acquainted with the do's, don'ts, must haves, leave behinds, how-to's, and "now what?s" I'm sure to encounter. I'm super excited!

My requirements were - easy enough to tow, no hybrids or slides, larger fridge, more bed than simply a conversion, and some good lounge space. I ended up with a 2015 Coleman 192RDS Lantern. Don't ask me too many technical questions because my head is swimming already with so much to learn! I do know that the unit was owned by a guy who seemed to take excellent care of it. It comes with the cover he left (which is needed since it will store in an open lot), and also has some cool little "add-ons" that he created including some shelves, drink holders etc that he made - so it appears he enjoyed using and taking care of the camper. Sometimes it's the little things you notice.

I'm a 50-something grandma who is a photographer and enjoys meeting new people and seeing new things. Unfortunately, hubby isn't able to retire yet, so this trip will be by myself this time around.

I have started perusing all the forums here reading up on all kinds of topics and tips. This is such a wonderful resource! Wish me luck and if you happen to have this kind of TT, let me know how you like it.

Happy trails!

Judy
15 REPLIES 15

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Hope it works out well for you but you may want to check the bottom of the trailer for exposed bare wood that can get wet when towing in the rain. Coleman tent trailers floors are built that way and often develop rot. Learned this when I went with a friend looking at used ones.
If that's the way it is, you may want to do something to protect it.

Coleman travel trailers are manufactured by Dutchmen RV and aren't related in any way to former tent trailers built by Coleman, then Fleetwood Folding Trailers, then FTCA until the company demise in 2011. There's absolutely no reason at all for the OP to be concerned about the floor in this trailer any more than there would be with any other brand. :R

As for comments from others about this trailer not having a slide - so what? If that's what the OP prefers then that's all that matters, end of story. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:
"no ... slides"

Why? Makes a small TT big when parked.

I am also a "slide free zone" for the same reasons. I stop, it's ready, no chance of leaks or mechanical issues. May not always be that way for us as we may someday want a trailer with two free standing chairs(not dining). You don't get free standing recliner type chairs 'til you hit 26-28 feet and they will all have slides. But for now, very happy w/o a slide.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are going to have an awesome time, And ( if ) something happens out on the road there are many many people who can and will come to the rescue including myself when you are in my area.

I will pm my phone number, hang on to it and take it with you.

when in Washington don't miss Mt Rainier, the Hoh rain forest, then on down the Red Woods, and Big Sir.....all these are a must.

please post up the photos.

Dar & Barb
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

jpochard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone. I'm still reading through a lot of the threads, but I'm certain I will be back with questions.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
congrats and enjoy.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
I looked for a no slide trailer as well and have no regrets. For 1-2 people, an entire trailer is plenty of space. Have a blast! I can't believe you have never been to Ca. but you will be in for a treat. Make sure to have reservations and expect plenty of traffic. Camp spots along the coast, especially RV, get reserved months in advance and usually go at 6 months out when reservations become available.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
To echo ken56, camp close to home to start! First "trip" should be in your driveway for an overnight. Then find a campground / state park close by to camp at. After a couple trips you will get an idea of what you want to bring with you.

Pickup a pair of "awning deflappers", these are clips that attach to the awning and then velcro around the awning braces. Helps to keep the awning under control in windy conditions. Too much wind, don't put the awning out at all.

Comfy camp chairs! It has taken my wife and I almost 10 years to find folding camp chairs that are really comfortable for us, and we each prefer a different style.

My biggest advice to towing beyond practicing is... Learn to use your side mirrors. Even just driving around town doing errands, try very hard to not use the windshield rearview mirror, just the side mirrors. Learn what they show you. Get used to backing up without looking over your shoulder, just use the mirrors.

Have fun! Keep us updated on your travels and adventures!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about no slides. It's your TT, if the floor plan works for you, that's all that matters. Simple is good.

Enjoy your travels.

jpochard
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Hope it works out well for you but you may want to check the bottom of the trailer for exposed bare wood that can get wet when towing in the rain. Coleman tent trailers floors are built that way and often develop rot. Learned this when I went with a friend looking at used ones.

Thanks for the heads up!

jpochard
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"no ... slides"

Why? Makes a small TT big when parked.

I want simple. Nothing blocked, no extra worries about mechanisms or leaks there. No need for it really.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Coleman also and have been very happy with the quality. Granted, its not luxury by any means but it has never had any major issues. You will be very happy with your purchase is my prediction. You should have no problems pulling that unit out west with your 150 either. I would have the wheel bearings repacked before you leave for your trip. You have no idea if they are packed adequately even though its new, have them checked anyway. Do some close to home camping to get the feel of towing and what its like to hitch up and the process of setting up when you do camp. You will have a blast and your husband will be missing out on a great trip too. Safe travels to you.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Congradulations and enjoy it !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a nice camper. Have fun with it!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad