cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running the fridge for 2 days off level?

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I can’t pull the rv Home to cool the fridge due to a neighbors waterline issue. At the storage lot my rv is sitting a full bubble off level, I was going to plug it in today and pick up the rv Friday morning to go camping. Can it is for a day and a half off level with the fridge on?
46 REPLIES 46

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ammonia fridges are installed because the technology needed to catch up and now it has. The ammonia fridge will become extinct at some point in the near future. Count on that. One less thing to worry about. Fine with me. I have other, more pressing issues.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
wnjj wrote:
The main concern with shutting it off it remembering to turn it back on. 🙂

Keep in mind that 3 degrees of slope is 1:19 or 5.24% so many areas that "aren't level" may be just fine. If you want to be really sure, set your level at that angle and then you'll know where the bubble sits for the danger zone for quick checking in the future. To do this, set the level on a board and raise it 1" high, 19" from the end. Remember too that the front to back direction (which is side to side for the way most fridges are in a TT) is 2x that or 1" in 9.5".

Exactly.....or buy into the RV forum banter of how you have to be 100% spot on level.....its your decision!

Of course simple answer is a duty cycle compressor fridge. Don't have to be concerned with a pressurized system. Can operate at peak efficient at up to 30 degrees out of level.

Why my ammonia fridge will be on Flea-Bay next spring, replaced with a duty cycle compressor fridge (winter time project). You'll see a gradual shift to duty cycle (Danfoss/Secop) comnpressor fridges in the future, they are already being installed in many units and... they are less expensive initially. Example, a complete unit (compact, less than 2.0 cubic foot Dometic C series is under 900 bucks, actually less than a rebuilt 'Amish' cooling unit.

No temperature swings and not impacted by high ambient termps either. You set it for say 40 in the box, it stays at 40. What a concept.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
98coachman wrote:
So I'm assuming all of you never run your fridge while in transit then correct??? Unless you are driving on the plains your fridge is toast!! Maybe not even then:h. I'm on my fourth trailer in 35+years and have never had a problem, knock on wood!!! I've always levelled my trailer and 3 of the 4 trailers the refrigerators were installed incorrectly and were about a half bubble off. Go figure!! Happy camping, Bill :S

Yeah, go figure - ignorance is bliss. :S Despite all the rhetoric from those mocking the need to ensure a gas absorption fridge is reasonably level when sitting still & operating one fact can't be disputed - not one of these pundits will be there ready to ante up for a new replacement fridge when the OP's fridge has failed. :R That in itself should be enough to convince anyone that ensuring level operation each & every time is worth the effort. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's hot, fresh, and delicious!

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
That's kind of a relief. It's much easier to make sure the trailer is spot on level front to back, which, with most refrigerators means side to side which according to Norcold is the most level sensitive position.

I find it a tad harder to dial in trailer levelness side to side, since we're talking about using either boards or the plastic blocks. Whereas, just a touch of the power tongue jack button will lift or lower the trailer very accurately.

ScottG wrote:
According to the Norcold manual, it is more sensitive side to side:

"CAUTION: The refrigerator is made to operate within 3°
off level side-to-side and 6° off level front-to-back (as
looking at the front of the refrigerator). Operating it at
more than these limits can cause damage to the cooling
system and create a risk of personal injury or property
damage. Make sure the vehicle is level before you
operate the refrigerator."
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
98coachman wrote:
So I'm assuming all of you never run your fridge while in transit then correct??? Unless you are driving on the plains your fridge is toast!! Maybe not even then:h. I'm on my fourth trailer in 35+years and have never had a problem, knock on wood!!! I've always levelled my trailer and 3 of the 4 trailers the refrigerators were installed incorrectly and were about a half bubble off. Go figure!! Happy camping, Bill :S

You obviously don't understand what is really the concern and IMO should refrain from commenting on subjects that you are not sure of the accuracy of your information. When traveling the motion keeps the liquid moving and circulating so overheating and lack of liquid circulation is not an issue.

Again for overall best protection I recommend installing an ARP system since otherwise you could be "rolling the dice and hoping".

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:
So what happens if I stop for lunch at a restaurant or truck stop and the lot is sloped, I’ve stopped at a few places with a large sloped lot. Does the fridge immediately start being damaged?

Best practice is to turn it off, but with ARP protection you are basically covered regardless. IMO very cheap insurance for such a finicky and expensive piece of equipment.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
98coachman wrote:

Moving helps the coolant circulate and is totally different than parked off level. Also, the vast majority of roads are less than the 5% maximum angle for the fridge.

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
According to the Norcold manual, it is more sensitive side to side:

"CAUTION: The refrigerator is made to operate within 3°
off level side-to-side and 6° off level front-to-back (as
looking at the front of the refrigerator). Operating it at
more than these limits can cause damage to the cooling
system and create a risk of personal injury or property
damage. Make sure the vehicle is level before you
operate the refrigerator."

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Side of Fridge to side of Fridge is less critical than back of Fridge to front of Fridge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sidecarflip is correct... Look at the back of your fridge or one sitting out in a store and note the direction of the tubes in the back. Front to back is critical as even a minor off level set will trap the liquid{refrigerant} in a low spot and damage will quickly occur. Priced a new frig lately???

Being off side to side is less critical but I agree with the others here who point out that irreversible damage occurs quicker than you think. If parked for more than a couple of minutes just shut it off, as long as you do not open the door you will lose little if any cold. If you forget to turn it back on a few hours with the door closed will not make much difference.

:C

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fore/aft---side/side
That really depends on which way fridge is installed

On sidewall, rear wall, center wall, angled.

Check out some tests using ARP Real Time Monitoring System
It has actually shutdown fridge during transit while driving up a long steep incline due to boiler temps rising

Accumulative/permanent damage DOES occur from overheating conditions
Overheating is from lack of coolant flow.
Simple thermo dynamics

Perfect 100% spot on level NOT a requirement
Level enough to be comfortable is level enough
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
DinTulsa wrote:
I went ahead and hooked it up and leveled it out. Now I don’t have to worry about it.

That is what you should do.

20 minutes of off-level fridge operation begins causing damage which is accumulative and permanent

Fore to aft is way more critical than side to side because the cooling unit is thermo siphon. I run mine a full half bubble off side to side with no issues. Fore and aft...always level.

Won't be that way next year with the Danfoss/Secop being installed this winter.
2015 Backpack SS1500

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
dave17352 wrote:
Who knows, its kinda vague. I have read a hour a two is no big deal. Dont know if its true or not.

I have never seen that come from any official source and it isn't true.