cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Refrigerator?

mdhemrick
Explorer
Explorer
Is it OK to turn off a RV Refrigerator when not in use or is it best to remain plugged up? Thanks!
Lynn Hemrick
27 REPLIES 27

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, touchy this morning, arenโ€™t we?
Plugged up, plugged in. Sheesh. It was an RV she was referring to, right?

Even though Iโ€™m โ€œplugged upโ€ 24/7 to 30A, I turn on day before using and turn off after removing everything. Mine tends to collect quite a bit of frost, so I like to let that thaw and then wipe down inside and out. Leave the doors open to dry out.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Jay Coe wrote:

Plugged up with what? Toilet paper? Are you serious, or trolling? On when you use it, off when you don't. This isn't rocket science!

Lynnmor wrote:
I Googled the words "plugged up" and got a real education, especially from the Urban Dictionary. It might be better if folks used real English when using a public forum. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

What would really be better would be if people didn't have to be such a-holes to someone asking a simple question.

x2

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Coe wrote:

Plugged up with what? Toilet paper? Are you serious, or trolling? On when you use it, off when you don't. This isn't rocket science!

Lynnmor wrote:
I Googled the words "plugged up" and got a real education, especially from the Urban Dictionary. It might be better if folks used real English when using a public forum. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

What would really be better would be if people didn't have to be such a-holes to someone asking a simple question.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mdhemrick wrote:
Is it OK to turn off a RV Refrigerator when not in use or is it best to remain plugged up? Thanks!

Jay Coe wrote:

You're right, this isn't rocket science. :R Think about it - by "plugged up" the OP obviously means with the trailer plugged into 120 vac shore power. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mdhemrick wrote:
Is it OK to turn off a RV Refrigerator when not in use or is it best to remain plugged up?

I'd normally turn the fridge off and empty it after each camping trip unless we were intending to head out again within a few days. 2 reasons - running the fridge means I have to ensure the trailer is level vs not bothering if I don't intend to run the fridge. Second reason - I'd prefer to not throw away $$ to power a fridge weeks or months at a time when it's not being used.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
mdhemrick wrote:

Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We've had 3 different travel trailers, all had RV gas-electric refrigerators. Our first one was 2004. We kept the refrigerators running 24x7x365 on auto since September of this year.

The only time the refrigerator was turned off during that time was the months of January and February, because in Indiana the outside temperature gets colder than the refrigerator and when that happens the refrigerator won't run because the refrigerator thinks is already below the set temperature and has no need to turn on.

In all these years, we never had a problem with any of the 3 refrigerators.

Why September, 2018? Because in September we purchased a new 5er that has an all electric refrigerator. But same deal, we're planning on leaving it on 24x7x365 too, same as the house regardless of outside and ambient temperature in January and February this time round.

On or off, will not hurt them one bit. It's a matter of convenience for you. Once an RV refrigerator warms up, it could take anywhere from 6 to 12 hours to reach temperature again. If you use your refrigerator parked in your drive way, it makes sense to leave it on. If you go out every week-end, it's easier to just leave it on. If it goes into storage with no power to the camper for 6 months, turn it off. Either way won't hurt anything. It's your choice based on convenience for you.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I turned mine on in April of this year and will turn it off in the next couple of weeks when I finish winterizing. I still have food in the fridge and freezer, extra space from home.
Been doing this for 12 years now and no problems ever (touch wood) with the fridge.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
charwan wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
I turn mine on 24hrs before a trip and off when I return, wipe out with soap an water, leave doors open.

DITTO.

I have done the same since my first RV that had elct or propane ref
instead of the big block of ice we used in the early 60s
samsontdog:o:W

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I turn mine on 24hrs before a trip and off when I return, whipe out with soap an water, leave doors open.

DITTO.
N4FAP

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
On my first rig I was told by an old timer that it's best to leave it on 24/7 and on the 5th year the cooling coil failed and it cost nearly as much to fix as to replace.

On my current rig, I turn on the day before leaving and off after I return going on 7 yrs and no problems.

A recent video on RV fridges stated that the refrigerator has a life expectancy, therefore off and on was recommended for maximum life. In my experience and others I have known, this has been true.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I turn mine on 24hrs before a trip and off when I return, whipe out with soap an water, leave doors open.