cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Show Reflections (Do RV Engineers RV?)

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Went to the San Antonio RV show yesterday and we really enjoyed seeing all the new RVs. Was pleasently surprised at construction quality on most models, not a lot of shoddy construction issues were observed, as in years past, and I looked hard. Jayco is using the new GY Endurance tires on almost all new TT's and 5th Wheels, a great improvement in my opinion. However; here's a few observations that made me scratch my head.
1. Placing sewer connections under slides. Saw this on several different brands. Even the salesmen were scratching their heads when I pointed this out.
2. Water/electric/cable connections. One model we looked at had the electric connection on the rear, city water on the front left, fresh water in the center, sewer flush under a slide and cable on the side near the rear. Seems it would be a PITA setting up.
2. In several models, the sleeper sofa was placed so that it could not be unfolded entirely., dinette booth was in the way. This one was unbelievable.
3. Television placement. One of our favorite floorplans had the TV mounted in an area that could not be seen from the sofa. The sofa was the main seating area in this model - just Wow!
3. Mattresses on bunk beds. Some were so thin, you might as well be sleeping on the plywood base.
4. Wonder where RV manufactures get these no-name brand televisions?
Anyway, was impressed with some of the innovations on a lot of the models. Unfortunately, these innovations come with a higher price tag. Was looking to downsize from my current TT but thinking I'll keep it for a few more years. Yesterday was the 1st day of the show and for a Thursday, there were a lot of folks attending. The RV industry is booming.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch
35 REPLIES 35

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
In short, probably not.

1) The marketing team comes up with packages and features they think will sell the most RV's with the highest sales margins.
2) The designers draw up concepts that accommodate these desired packages.
3) Project managers estimate build costs and negotiations begin to ensure features, production costs, and sales price all match up to meet the margins
4) Process engineers and designers then work to draw up an assembly process that is as efficient as possible to keep costs down while packing all the features into the available space.

IF this all works well you get an RV with well placed features and options that make sense and are very useable.

If this doesn't work well? You get an RV that has a bunch of features that aren't necessarily sensible.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
"Do RV Engineers RV?"

What makes one think that they use engineers?

As for auto engineers, just last evening my neighbor explained how he replaced a battery. First thing was to remove the windshield wipers. Try this in the freezing cold: Video

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I think the real problem is they aren't assembled by people who use them.

Assemblers maybe responsible for shoddy workmanship but they aren't responsible for obvious design flaws - that's the engineering team supported by indifferent management.
Kevin

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No. 2 sounds like Arctic Fox trailers. They keep putting the water fill on the wrong side and the electrical at the extreme back corner.
Why is this the rule rather than the design exception?

I do know for a fact that NW has their engineers use their products and for that reason they are otherwise well thought out - at least on the inside.

As far as quality is concerned, I too have noticed the materials improving. Where they fail is in the execution. Way to sloppy in the construction and way too many stripped screws. This even after years of complaints by owners.

I think the real problem is they aren't assembled by people who use them.

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
Do RV engineers and designers go RV'ing? Here is a simple test...

Go out and open the hood on your car...How easy is it to get to the spark plugs? The fan belt(s)? Heater and radiator hoses? Could you easily work on the vehicle if needed? The engineers and designers have probably never had to work on a car or truck they designed. Especially one that has had a few miles put on it.

I would imagine it is the same for the RV designers. They probably don't think about the "Where" when it comes to connections, only the "How" to fit every single option in a very limited space.

And if they do RV...Maybe they are Sadists who enjoy making it tough for people to connect up all the devices. Who knows...

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
so they still don,t build quality rv,s.slap it togther where ever theres room and out the door.