cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rv show what to expect?

Camper214
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone we have a rv show coming up next weekend and was wondering do you really save money on a new trailer if you buy one there?We we’re just wondering what experiences other people have had.Thanks for any replies
30 REPLIES 30

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Shop for the floor plan you like and you think will work for your needs. Its standard practice that you will get 25% to 30% off MSRP any day you walk into a dealer. Know what you want for options, all models are not set up alike. Some dealers are better than other. Some have better reputations for customer service and their service depts. Some are to be avoided.

Don't be afraid to deal hard and ask for better tires to be put on (if they are cheapie Trailer Kings or other low end tires) before you purchase, make it part of the deal. If you will need a hitch do some homework on those too. Know what the price ranges are. You have a great resource here and lots of experience willing to help you out.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Shows are a great chance to shop and compare side by side. I've actually found the pressure to be lower than on lots since I can just walk to the next dealer. But, I've never gotten too serious buying at a show either so maybe once you get into it they start with the pressure.

You can shop floor plans, models and price online until your eyes glaze over. I really like shows to be able to look closely at the fit/finish of a given manufacturer and product line. I find the show seldom has the exact unit I'm looking for but being able to walk through one that is close is nice to help get an idea. I'd be much more willing to set out on a long drive to pick something up or to order after being able to see and touch a similar unit.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last show we were at was last fall. What really stood out was all the bunkhouse TTs aimed at families with kids and unlike past years, very few for older couples only. Other than that, same 'ol, same 'ol...

We went to the show with some friends of ours who are looking for their first TT and they want something with good quality. I said they should be getting an OutdoorsRV unit in that case. We went through the various makes and models on display then showed them some of the things about OutdoorsRV that makes them superior. They haven't laid out the cash just yet but as of a few weeks ago, they have def. decided on an ORV unit. The shows can be a good place to see what's not good if you spend the time to poke inside cabinets, crawl underneath, etc.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Pickup all brochures to take home and study.
We bought a floorplan.
It just happened to be a Sprinter by Keystone. Year 2010.
We've been very pleased with the unit.
A couple of years ago I thought when this one wears out, I just go out and buy another one. Dang, they stopped making our model. I hope this one lasts a long time...
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

Do your homework and any day, any place could be a Great time and or place to buy a RV.. As long as you know what they are selling for ( not the fake MSRP) , and you know what number YOU can afford...
DO YOUR HOMEWORK.......
Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you find a unit you REALLY like, ask the dealership if they will hold that price for you until after the show is over. Have them write it down so you have it and can vouch that was the price. After the show go back to the dealership and see if they will give you a better offer.

Meanwhile, you check with another competitor dealership for the same identical unit and see if they can match the price or do better.

If the dealership represented at the RV show is really being upfront, they'll hold the "show" price for you till after the show. And by comparing with another dealership, you'll have something to compare, and you may decide the other dealership has the better offer.

This is, IF you are going with the intention of actually buying something. Don't be a compulsive buyer when you are standing in front of all the dazzling sparkle.

Now, if your intention is to just go and have a good time, well.... hold to your guns. You're not purchasing anything, you are there ONLY on a fact finding mission. Still, if you find something you REALLY like, have the dealer write the show price down and then come back after the show is over where and when you've had time to slow your emotions down a little and realistically use your head!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
There is a lot of pressure to buy at the shows, and the whole show format seems to encourage buyers.

RV shows for the vast majority who visit them should be viewed as nothing more than a day out during what is usually the worst part of the year, a diversion for a day at best. 😛 Sure, depending on the size of the show exhibitors in total may sell a 100 or 200 units but when 100,000 people pass through the gates over the course of a 3 or 4 day show that's drop in the bucket. The primary goal for any RV dealer attending these shows isn't specifically to sell but to advertise, to keep their brand in the mind of the buying public. It's no different than advertising anything else for sale - just because you see an ad on television or in the paper or hear it on the radio doesn't mean you're going to go out and buy that product right then and there, nor does the merchant expect you to - it's purpose is to plant the image of the product in your mind so when it does come time to buy you'll remember that particular product and be inclined to buy it rather than a competitor's product. Of course RV dealers want to sell some units but it's not for the express purpose of selling but rather to cover the substantial costs involved in attending these shows with product to display. RV shows also generate more the way of contacts that lead to later eventual sales back at the dealership. Anyone who goes to these shows believing they're going to see anything but a sampling of what any given dealer can offer is naive because each dealer when planning for a show chooses a select few models to display. If you want to explore more of his entire lineup you gotta put boots on the ground and go to the dealership. Regardless that exhibitor's goals are entirely different than yours you're best to view any RV show only as a day's entertainment.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this doesn't happen all that often but we were at an RV several years ago. Dealer had a flyer on the counter with the MSRP and the sale price. Wife and I were checking things out when I opened a drawer in the kitchen and low and behold there was another flyer in there for the same TT. Difference was that the MSRP was lower. JMO but unless you've shopped like crazy and no the prices pretty good I would just use the RV show to compare brands and floor plans.
Most RV show ads list all the MFG's that will be there. You can go to their web sites and look at all the trailers they sell and already have an idea of what to look for.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
It doesn't take long for all the RV's to start looking alike, and you'll forget which ones you liked.

Make up a score sheet with things you are looking for. Some of those thing may be floor plan, floor space, counter space, storage, insulation, tank heat, slide outs, beds (layout/size), trailer size / weight, etc. Maybe, even look at distance to nearest dealer (that's where you'll pick up your unit, and get any after sale support".

As you are going through each unit, do a score sheet, and make notes on anything that stands out. There may be items that have different importance to you and your significant other.

We found it beneficial to each do a sheet. We added up the scores and threw out all but the top five units. Then we went back and did a second look at only those five.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
We have one in Maine this spring. I'm also hoping there will be several camp site reps.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We have bought 3 brand new RVs. Our first new unit was bought while at a show. We had been casually looking for a few months, went to the show and really liked the floor plan of a unit we had not seen before. We ended up buying it at the show price, which turned out to be about 29% off MSRP. The salesman said we were getting wholesale pricing. When we compared the price with the different RV Wholesalers web sites, our dealers price was about $500 more. It wasn't worth the savings to drive 500+ miles to pick it up.

The 29% off MSRP is the most we have saved. With our Motorhome, which was selling in high demand, we got 26% off MSRP. With our Destination Trailer, which the dealer could barely keep on the lot, we got 27% off MSRP (ours was the last on the lot and they had 4 more on order). Not really a huge difference between show savings and off the dealer's lot savings.

Do your home work. If you have a smart phone or tablet, bring it so you can compare pricing with the RV Wholesalers. Dealers may not be as willing to deal at a show, because they have a lot of potential buyers.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
If the daler can afford to sell you a RV at the show for a certain price, then they can sell for the same price off their lot. That said, sometimes manufacturers will add in show only incentives but that is not everywhere everytime. There is a lot of pressure to buy at the shows, and the whole show format seems to encourage buyers.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Best place to see a multiple amount of units in one place to compare, but unless it is one of the larger shows with factory support I think you can deal just as good outside of a show. Go look and have fun
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
You'll be able to get the same price or even lower up to 6 weeks later. Could be a good year for selling RV's, prices may be higher than expected. May need to really do your homework and hone up your negotiating skills to get the Best prices.

WDP
Explorer
Explorer
Great place to look and figure out your desires What you want to do is follow the trade ins back to the dealer. Find a nice one, dealers really want to move these. Let the original owner take the depreciation hit.

WDP