Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sad news from Janet Curley...

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Ben and Tory,

This is Janet. I very much regret having to tell you that Don passed away on February 12th due to a pulmonary embolism. It was very sudden and a big shock, and I still cannot believe it. Don enjoyed sharing and trading "words of wisdom" with many people on several forums. Don was a very special person and I know he will be missed by many. We had been married for 33 years and I have a wealth of wonderful memories. Don grew up in Southern California and I plan to take his ashes there at a later date.

Janet Curley

Tory & Don at Yankee Boy Basin this past September

Tory & Janet

Don Janet and Steve in 29 camping off Salt Vally Road Moab UT

Tory Don Janet & Shin Arches NP

Don & Steve discussing a geological feature at Arches NP

Steve Shin Tory Lynn & Dave night before starting the White Rim Trail with Don & Janet in the lead. Dave & Lynn were off to Top of The World Trail the next morning.

Thanks for the memories Don...

White Rim Trail

San Juan Mountains trip report...

Ben & Tory
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon
72 REPLIES 72

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am also in shock!!! I only knew Don from this forum but he was one I had wanted to meet and maybe do a trail with.

RIP Don. Thoughts and Prayers to the Curley family.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that really sucks.

Sorry for your loss.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Our condolences for your loss.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

orourkmw
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at an old post on the Outfitter forum, and came across this from Don:
"In fact, the "plan" to resign my job, sell almost everything to our name, and move to the hinterlands of southeastern Utah occurred in a shockingly short period of time (all the while, with our friends thinking that we had totally lost our minds).

After moving on from Genentech in 1989 to Syntex/Roche Bioscience/Oread BioPharma (all at the same location in Palo Alto), I had been consistently putting in 80 to 100 hour weeks for a 10 year period, while my wife was routinely putting in 60+ hour weeks at Genentech (she was there for a total of 18 years). During this time, one of our colleagues at Genentech dropped dead on the job from a heart attack, and after a one-on-one meeting in my office at Oread BioPharma, the director of Engineering collapsed on his way back to his office and died later that same day. Then after one of my wife's brothers died at 52 from cancer, we both started looking at each other and wondering if we were heading for the same fate with our kamikaze work schedules and never having time to smell the roses.

So, when it was becoming obvious that the wheels were coming off at Oread BioPharma as they were heading towards bankruptcy, I resigned in March 1999, and instead of doing the usual thing of looking for a new biotech/biopharma job in the Bay Area, I instead executed the plan B "head for the hills" scheme."

Don had the mind of an engineer and the heart of a adventurer. He insisted on creating the world he envisioned, always modifying his camper to suit his desires, and building his spread in La Sal. I envy his decision to move there, and it is wonderful that he was able to spend the last 13 or so years of his life according to his own terms. I never met him face-to-face, yet my heart has been heavy all day. It's guys like him that make this a community, and he will be missed.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
We are very sorry for your loss of Don. I enjoyed reading his posts and picked up some good ideas along the way. I'm glad he had and used a spirit of adventure. May God be with and bless. Jeff and Kelli.

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss but if I may offer some words that have helped me...Keep Don in your heart and he will never be far from your thoughts.

69cayo
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Praying for you and that the loving memories you have will always be in your heart.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Our condolences to Don's family.

Bob & Cathy
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
My condolences as well, I have also been fortunate to learn
from Don's experiences and posts on rv.net and the outfitter forum.
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

flaxi
Explorer
Explorer
My condolences to Don's family.
Best regards from Germany.
Felix

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Don and I never met, but I enjoyed his stories and the mentions of him in the reports of others. My condolences to you and the family.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss,you'll be in my prayers.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry for your loss Janet. Don & I shared many emails before and after we got our Outfitter. We also discussed Dodge truck issues. He will be missed.

Janet if you find yourself in the Henderson, NV area and need help or a place to stay, feel free to look us up.

Mike
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Hodag1
Explorer
Explorer
We are sorry for your loss. Don was one of the forum members who helped get me into truck camping. It was great to have him share his experiences and opinions!