cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SB TC made to fit a LB

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Was messing with my TC today and looking at the wings and rear storage compartments and wondered, anyone ever cut it all out to fit a long bed?

Now, I'm far off from a new truck, and honestly love the room of my mega so much I'd most likely buy another. However...a long bed conversion would be pretty neato. But losing my rear storage would suck (8.5' campers don't have much to begin with) but curios if anyone has done it. I know how I would do it and if would look factory when I'm done.

Or I could just do like some and run it back and use the bed for storage, which makes better sense for a practical standpoint but man.... It looks so off.

Rambling....out loud and was cursing Dennis Dillion dealer looking at shiny new trucks!

Maybe 2019 will bring me a new 10 speed and 500 horses/1200 lbs of torque!
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.
10 REPLIES 10

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer

Push those campers back....

People are wasting a lot of storage space, this year I am using the space for a stone hammer, extra deep cycle battery, camper scissor steps, jack, gray water disposal system, and anything else that can ride along outside...

When they are pushed back it also gives you access to the sides of the
camper along the tub, room for all sorts of "stuff" there...
We use those insulated freezer tote bags, then when filled up with more "stuff" the bags will not chaff the tub sides...
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

timdan94
Explorer
Explorer
here is my 855s on a long bed dually

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^I think d3500rams pic above is proof that it doesn't look goofy with the camper set back.
If ti works for the truck then it's much needed storage for free!
Vinsil wrote:
Good points. I'd hate to lose the space and grit is right, it doesn't look as off as I thought it would.

That image above is the Photochopped version of what I would *like* it to be... you might change yer opinion when you see how it actual looks as I really use it: :B

(same photo before the photochop)

(edited to update a better "before" image and to resize)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Bedlam
Build a cabinet with side doors between the cab and camper that is truck cab high. You will have secure storage and it will fill that void. My AF811 is for a short bed and looks fine on my long bed flatbed because I have place to keep my spare. Now that I am looking at a long bed camper, I have additional work to find the spare a new home.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Good points. I'd hate to lose the space and grit is right, it doesn't look as off as I thought it would.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^I think d3500rams pic above is proof that it doesn't look goofy with the camper set back.
If ti works for the truck then it's much needed storage for free!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Jus leave the wings, mount the camper back, and fair in a nice storage compartment back o'cab for tiki torches, flag poles, grubby barbeque, generator, & such:

Image courtesy of Truck Camper Magazine

That truck camper is way to heavy for that little truck!:)
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jus leave the wings, mount the camper back, and fair in a nice storage compartment back o'cab for tiki torches, flag poles, grubby barbeque, generator, & such:

Image courtesy of Truck Camper Magazine

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess I do not quite understand your question. I take it to mean that a TC meant for a short bed (but has permanent mounted rear wings) you want to remove them such that it can be pushed forward for use on a long bed???

If I understand you correctly, I was considering it for my situation. The Northstar Arrow 8' camper comes in 3 possible configurations from the factory:
1) long bed version with just a flat panel in the back
2) long bed model (same as above) but with "bolt-on" skirts for a short bed (removable for a long bed.)
3) short bed model with permanent skirt storage wings.

All 3 are essentially the same model and I have the short bed version on a long bed truck... it was such a great deal that I could not pass up and my first thought was to cut off the permanent skirt wings, but I would have had to find another location for the batteries as they are located there in this particular version. The reworking of it would have taken quite a bit of effort to look good and not like a total hack job.

I had to travel a few hundred mile to purchase the TC and I rigged a support to keep it in place for the trip so that it would not scoot forward in the bed. The camper skits wings would have hit the truck tail light in a sudden panic stop situation without any blocking between cab and camper.

I still considered chopping it once I got it home, but that extra storage space kept telling me no... it is so welcomed now for my generator and has been this way for 6 years now.

I have posted mine many times, but here is one that I was having some fun with Photoshop... If I removed the wings, then it would just scoot forward similar to the long bed factory model. The way I have it now is very similar to your Mega cab set-up... only my "stage space" is not filled up with truck cab of the Mega.

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cursing or cruising the lot? Haha
Idk how the storage areas are mounted, but I wouldn't think they'd be too hard to take apart. And the Wings should clear the outside of the truck bed. Of course you'd have doors to nowhere!
I just did sort of the opposite and made a shelf back there on my long bed model to store my generator.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold