cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing camper while in storage

Cummins07
Explorer
Explorer
Im going to be storing our camper at a storage lot for a little bit. Its a secured gated lot, with a code to enter the lot. But iam curious what would be stopping someone from loading up my camper, it just has manual happi jacks so all you would need is the crank and a camper ready truck, anything I can do to secure it while its there?
19 REPLIES 19

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I do not recall ever hearing about a TC being stolen, although possible. I am even more doubtful it would be stolen if it is not setting on a truck. I think it is so rare, they do not do it in the movies.

I would be far more concerned with someone running into it, and knocking it over damaging the jacks and TC. I have seen two on their sides in storage yards, and am only guessing as to why. Lots of people backing up. I definitely would sit it on stout saw horses and jacks for added support.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
shellbackcva59 wrote:
Actually you should store the camper supported by it's floor. So doing that and removing the jacks, would certainly prevent theft.

Not really, someone could bolt their own jacks on or just slide a special built trailer under it.

Again, it woud be easier to just hookup to a TT. 😉 Probably easier to sell or part out as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
I wouldn't leave jewelry, guns or cash laying around. That, with good insurance and I don't believe I'd think about it again.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
Jaxom wrote:
I suppose if you wanted to, you could put the TC on a support structure and remove the jacks.
Padlocks and cables from the tie down anchor points to something secure, utility pole or fence post, etc.
Insurance and no personal items are your best bet.

Actually you should store the camper supported by it's floor. So doing that and removing the jacks, would certainly prevent theft.

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
sch911 wrote:
We get lots of reports of break-ins, but not theft of the entire camper. Leave it unlocked. If they break in, it's just more damage.

Leave it unlocked - there are homeless people that would welcome a soft bed inside away from nature's elements.
I am sure it will be in beautiful condition when you go to use it next.............:S

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
Tongue lock? I just keep the tongue off my truck camper entirely. Same with the wheels.

Sorry. I use the active thread button and didn't catch camper vs TT. Before this forum, I was used to hearing camper, trailer, and RV as interchangeable terms.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Make sure you don't leave any valuables in it. Make sure insurance is paid up. That's about all you can do.
I agree.

We get lots of reports of break-ins, but not theft of the entire camper. Leave it unlocked. If they break in, it's just more damage.
This is my thought. My wife wants me to lock the TC when stored in front of my garage, but I refuse.

If homeless people welcomed a soft bed inside away from nature's elements, it is not likely they would destroy it. Even locked, they could get in, and damage the TC in the process.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:

Leave it unlocked - there are homeless people that would welcome a soft bed inside away from nature's elements.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think all the wheeled campers will be stolen first. But, I think most rv theft in lots is to take stuff for quick sale. For instance, they'd steal your batteries, TV, microwave, first.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Tongue lock? I just keep the tongue off my truck camper entirely. Same with the wheels.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
sch911 wrote:
Make sure you don't leave any valuables in it. Make sure insurance is paid up. That's about all you can do.
I agree.

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose a piece of pipe or even a 2 x 4 anchored across the front (so it blocked the slots where the truck sides would slide) would at least slow down the honest thieves? Or (better/easier idea): a taut piece of chain from one tiedown point, under the bottom, and back up to the opposite tiedown point?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
and remember, unless you changed them, all RV keys for luggage doors are pretty much the same.

And a big screwdriver and the lock becomes useless no matter what it is keyed.

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose if you wanted to, you could put the TC on a support structure and remove the jacks.
Padlocks and cables from the tie down anchor points to something secure, utility pole or fence post, etc.
Insurance and no personal items are your best bet.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer