cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settle this for Sequoia and 4Runner owners...

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
These vehicles gear hunt even when going uphill and you don't have to manually shift to lower gear if it's losing momentum. All you have to do is depress to the floor the gas pedal to downshift to regain power and desired speed.

It's when going downhill that one needs to manually downshift for the engine brake assist.
26 REPLIES 26

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yosemite Sam, wth are you talking aboot?
Been drinking or what?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1, I don’t know how far down it will shift. We’ve never towed with ours, going from OD to 4th was sufficient to slow the vehicle...don’t know if it would continue to downshift when towing! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Our 2013 4Runner, will downshift on a decent, once your speed exceeds 5 mph over the cruise control set point. Of course....you must have the cruise control activated to enjoy this feature! ?? memtb

Thanks, this will be a hoot for my Sequoia, 4runner and Tacoma/Tundra driving friends if they don't know. this yet.

One friend said that his SUV pulling his RV becomes a bit scary wobbly going downhill at 60 miles per. hour at. I-80. Eastbbound from Donner peak. Perhaps he can set the cruise control at 55 mph to keep control.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2013 4Runner, will downshift on a decent, once your speed exceeds 5 mph over the cruise control set point. Of course....you must have the cruise control activated to enjoy this feature! ?? memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not seen any full size pickups using CVT's. This is a quote from FLeetowner.com--"After three years of development, Ford Motor Co. engineers are testing a more robust continuously variable transmission (CVT) design in a Ford Expedition SUV, with its standard 215 hp, 4.6-liter V-8 engine. This represents the first time this technology has been applied to a full-size truck. I wonder how they will work with 400 hp?
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Newer vehicles have a CVT (continuous Variable Transmission). They are more computer controlled via ECMs. They seem to shift quite a bit different then previous automatics.
Yes, they can be manually shifted in most.
Not sure which transmissions are put in Toyotas, but most newer vehicles including large trucks use a form of CVTs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
You may also want to manually downshift before an uphill grade so you are in more of the power band when climbing. The automatic will not downshift until there is sufficient pressure which may be too late.

This is true. I think those that say they they just let it do what it needs to do probably should do more reading on how a auto trans works.

There is a reason why heavy duty truck automatic/automated transmissions rely on GPS coordinates to downshift because the trans computers are not smart enough to know when it is going up a hill. It only knows pressures, throttle input, and rpm. So it generally downshifts after it is too late and needs to use more engine power to regain momentum especially when in cruise control.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
You may also want to manually downshift before an uphill grade so you are in more of the power band when climbing. The automatic will not downshift until there is sufficient pressure which may be too late.

I usually try to gain speed so I'll have that momentum going uphill.

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
They make automatic transmissions so they will shift automatically. I use mine that way and it does just fine.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
How is this specific to 4Runner and Sequoia? FWIW, it's good a practice to downshift going uphill too...otherwise if you have to lift off the throttle for any reason the transmission will upshift, then when you get back into the throttle it will downshift again. If you select the lower gear it will stay there and your lag time to power is less.

The debate is on a forum among owners of Toyota Sequoia and 4Runner.

Not sure, nor part of the debate whether other trucks have these features and capabilities -- which are effectively auto and manual shifting modes.

But you do have a point although I assume that the shift to lower gear is just to regain momentum and maintain previous pace or speed (not going any faster for the gear to get to higher gear).

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
How is this specific to 4Runner and Sequoia? FWIW, it's good a practice to downshift going uphill too...otherwise if you have to lift off the throttle for any reason the transmission will upshift, then when you get back into the throttle it will downshift again. If you select the lower gear it will stay there and your lag time to power is less.