cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should have got the longbed

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I bought my 15 Ram I got the SB as it would be my DD and used to pull my TH.
I got the 3500 as I knew I would eventually get another TC.
Even though there are many SB TCs, The Ram only has a 6'4" bed which creates a pretty good overhang for any TC. The front of the bed also has a pretty good curve which puts the camper further back then what it looks like it should be.
I just bought an 09 Lance 815 with fiberglass sides, elec jacks fully loaded from a friend for a great price.
It mounts ok on the truck but has a 24" overhang. The Lance doesn't have the SB skirts so I would have to buy or I'm thinking of making some out of diamond plate material.
Hate to admit but the SB Ram looks disproportionate with the big crew cab and SB.
I also want to carry a dual sport M/C on a hitch rack and will have to use a 24" ext and I'm not sure if the stock 2 1/2" hitch will be enough for 400 lbs at 24" ext.
Good thing is a buddy wants my truck and there are some smoking deals on new 15s. $10k-14k off sticker.
I will save a few $$ by not having to get the SB skirts and won't have to upgrade the hitch. I'm sure the LB will ride better with a better CG and has 600 lbs more payload.
I also bought a Jeep which is now my DD so the truck will be used for the RVs and when I need a truck.
I'm looking at only $1k-3k to swap into a new LB so thats good. I have some extras on mine and would get a few less options on the new one. Will be a 3500 4x4 Aisin for sure.
Moral of the story is think hard about a SB if you want a TC.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
5 REPLIES 5

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was thinking the 2' overhang would be about the same as my 9'10" Lance I had on my 03 DRW.
But, with the short SB of the Ram, only 6' is in the bed with 2 1/2" unsupported. Plus with the 20" shorter wheelbase the CG is further to the rear.
My pic post skills are lacking but could e-mail it to someone to post.
Just by looking at the overhang I wasn't too sure about adding another 400 lbs + nearly 3' past the bumper.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
11 1/2 ft campers have a 3 1/2 ft overhang on a 8 ft bed, but who doesn't like an excuse to get as new truck! ๐Ÿ˜‰

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you post a pic with the camper loaded? And include a close-up of the rear overhang?
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not consider putting that camper on a standard bed without the bike. The handling would be uncomfortable if not dangerous.

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
You could install a hitch carrier on the front of the truck and carry up to a 500 lbs dual sport up front. A 24" extension on the rear will give that DRZ a lot of leverage out there and I'd be nervous carrying that much weight that far out on that lever.
2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (on order, impatiently waiting)
2005 Ford F250 CC, V10, 4.30, 4x4
Triple A RV in Medford Sucks