cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slam latch BRD by Designer that replaces 751 locks

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Hs anyone replaced either the locking or non locking storage doors with these. I can't stand the current 751 and non locking catches. They are always turned the wrong way or eat into the gasket if not careful. These look like a great solution.

http://rvdesigner.com/prodview.asp?ci=19ฯ€=438
13 REPLIES 13

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Dyer's RV and other places have those: Just search for "slam cam". They seem to have five different keys total, so it is something to buy because it keeps things closed, not for actual security.

For "serious" security, I'd go with a Medeco cam, but even that is vulnerable due to the relative flimsy door it would be attached to.

ReferDog
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea but only need one.
ReferDog 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Dura Max
Artic Fox 30U

Equlizer Hitch

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt if CW has them "keyed alike" so you end up with 6 keys for your doors.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

rexford
Explorer
Explorer
I would be interested in how those work out as well. One thing I did do was re key my storage doors.
Nice having one key that opens every lock. Check out rvlocksandmore.com

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, might be worth trying to see how they work\hold up.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Slam latches are about convenience not security. Combi cam are also about convenience as well.
Sorry but all RV doors and storage hatches are vulnerable to thieves.
Honest people do not scope out RV parks and CG's with pry bars and crow bars but thieves do.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
loulou57 wrote:
A lock only keeps honest people out of these places.

If they are 'honest' then NO locks required

Locks just slow down scumbag thieves
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Let me know how those work out for you. I agree the stupid little key is a pain. (And, I have a friend who's pre school son likes to steal the key.) These look like a good solution if they work. I'm hoping you can just leave then unlocked and not need the key at all. Unless you really do want to lock it of course. Please keep me posted. Thanks

That is my assumption as well. Just like my big slam door once I unlock it it stays unlocked but I can close the door just by pushing it closed. If this does not work the same they also sell non locking mechanisms so I would just swap those out instead. Either way these should work better. Plus I got a free $25 certificate from camping world today and they have 2 of them in the store for 12.49 a piece. That is a free upgrade. ๐Ÿ™‚

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me know how those work out for you. I agree the stupid little key is a pain. (And, I have a friend who's pre school son likes to steal the key.) These look like a good solution if they work. I'm hoping you can just leave then unlocked and not need the key at all. Unless you really do want to lock it of course. Please keep me posted. Thanks

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not concerned about locks or stealing. I have one storage door with the big slam latch mechanism. Love it. It closes and you don't have to turn knobs or keys to get that silver tab to lock behind the lip. These to me would be similar and just plain better.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
A lock only keeps honest people out of these places.

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I don't worry much about the cheap locks on trailers. With a small crow-bar a PERP can be inside the trailer in 5 seconds flat.
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I went with these

Click here