cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Awnings

mmatus
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a travel trailer with one slide. Should I spend the $600.00 to have a slide awning installed?
20 REPLIES 20

MeloyeloCJ7
Explorer
Explorer
Would not be without toppers on my slides. Our newest TT didn't have them when we bought it. I promptly had the dealership order what I needed and I did the installation. Half a day on a Saturday and all done. Saved myself $700 bucks on the installation and have the peace of mind that it was done correctly.
Me, Wife, dogs
2013 Forest River Surveyor Select SV-301
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD 6.4L 4x4

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Someone brought up snow.. A few times In have had 8-10" of it on my roof when camping. Had to use a broom to brush it off to bring the slide in when it was time to leave. I think a topper would have been a pain to mess with then. I imagine that the snow load would've pushed the topper onto the roof. Melting snow from the heat inside would've likely made it wet between the topper and the roof and it may have frozen to the roof at night.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
mmatus wrote:
I recently purchased a travel trailer with one slide. Should I spend the $600.00 to have a slide awning installed?

Is it $600 to install or does the $600 include the awning and installation? If its $600 to install forget it!

I recommend getting the slide out awning also.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have them and never gave it a thought and as you can see many like them so it is whatever you want.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

bama2
Explorer II
Explorer II
The slide toppers are very well worth having. No worry about leaves, and they keep sun off to be cooler.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
Yes, it will hold water, but as noted, a 1 minute/1button fix and you're back in business. Supposed if it rained buckets all day, I'd do it a couple of times.

My slide toppers are sloped so I don't even need to retract and extend to clear the water, but yes it is an easy job to do if needed and takes no time.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it will hold water, but as noted, a 1 minute/1button fix and you're back in business. Supposed if it rained buckets all day, I'd do it a couple of times. Obviously, the main awning should already be stowed.

You probably could install it yourself, but it's a pretty long, bulky item....a several beer job. I'd say just pay and have it done and be on with your day. Think it took them maybe 30 min tops to install it on our HTT.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Had a fiver with one slide and no topper, couch in the slide, and the area would get quite warm. It made a big difference after we added the topper.

Have them on all three slides now, would not be without them.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
Like everything else they have their pros and cons.
My one slide is only 18" deep and has the same white rubber roof as the rest of the camper. I have a brush on a long handle (made to clean ceiling fan blades) to brush off any debris that may be up there before I close it. Haven't brushed off more than a few leaves yet (haven't camped under trees yet, either). Somebody once posted that they had a problem with birds trying to nest under the slide awning. Another reported the head of their bed was in a slide and the awning reduced the noise of rain significantly.
So, you really need to look at your particular application to determine if a slide awning will benefit you.
Do you have deep slides? Awning flap may be an issue in that case.
Do you camp a lot under trees? An awning may save your seals when you close the slide.
Does your slide have a sky light? Maybe you don't want to cover that up.
Lots of things to consider. Good luck!
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had 2 TT`s with slides. first one was in 05. 9 years now and I never found a reason to have one.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
mmatus wrote:

Check this thread.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol wrote:
Is is possible to purchase and install these yourself????? To reduce the overall cost?

possible, yes? depends on your help and skill. I didn't
bumpy

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be without my slide topper!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Is is possible to purchase and install these yourself????? To reduce the overall cost?