Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide Topper / Awning Issue

Dukec
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All

I have a problem that I have not seen posted before.

My Carefree slide topper is having issues. The other day we were caught in a high wind storm in California. I happened to see out my rearview mirror that one of my toppers was unraveling and blowing in the wind as we were driving.
Upon inspection during the trip and upon arrival it appears that something may be broken internally and the anti-billow mechanism has failed.

The ends may have also been damaged. It is currently functioning but there is slack in the fabric. While homeward bound I am still about 750 miles and a week from home. It is also to long to go in the back of my pickup.

Is this thing worth repairing? Can it fail completely and cause damage?

Suggestions

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you just need to adjust the anti-billow device. Here's the manual.
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/documents/Slideout-Cover-Install-Manual.pdf

Dukec
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.
Found the pin thing online.

Talked to a dealer and they suggested cycling it a couple of times.
He said the anti-bellows lock should reset itself.
He also said not to remove it but get it to a dealer for inspection.

I have cycled it and it looks good and snug and seemed to function normally.

Wish me luck as we will keep an eye on it heading north. Also will try to stay out of high winds.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
When shipped from the Factory the spring is pre-loaded, and locked with typically a long cotter pin. You could get some long cotter pin and lock the tube for the trip home. BIG SIGN on the slide out switch REMOVE PINS BEFORE OPENING!!!!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on age and model of topper, Carefree used the lever and plunger on only a few models. Others use a spring and a ratcheting mechanism internally.

As a temporary fix to get home, maybe a large tie strap on each end of the tube to the side brackets, or a bungee rope over the entire awning end to end to immobilize it. You should be able to feel if there is tension on the tube when trying to take the slack out of the fabric.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slide toppers have anti bellow devices, designed to keep designed to keep the roller tube from rotating when the slide is all the way in. I believe Carefree uses a plunger brake of some type.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Possibly broken spring. Unless you can take it apart and wind it up, you might simply lock the springs and take it off.