cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slideout on the side with outside kitchen and entry door.

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in a number of TT options. My main question regardless of brand is, Do you like having a slide out of the side of the rv with the entry door and outside kitchen? I have looked at a number of units and I am unsure if I would like it. It seems like the slide would limit the amount of room you have under the awning as well as make it very inconvenient for walking to the outside kitchen. I would like to hear from owners of tt or FW with a slide on the entry side.
12 REPLIES 12

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
We have the kitchen slide on our Surveyor SC321BHTS along with the outside kitchen and rear entry door for the bathroom. Does not bother us at all, the awning is (I think) 17 ft and you really don't notice the kitchen slide being in the way.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
I have been doing a lot of research on those floor plans. Playing around with many at the dealerships. The one thing I noticed was that when using the burners of the kitchen (cooking bacon!) and washing in the sink etc... , you kind of stare right into the kitchen slide. So, you can't see directly to the front of the TT. The outside covered space was decreased a very small amount, not enough to really make a difference. IMO. Every one sets up differently so only you can decide. We actually rarely use our awning as I like to look up and see the stars! Most large outside kitchens are covered by the large door when they are opened anyway, so not really a big deal if 24" is taken away by the slide.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Strictly personal opinion....we have a Rockwood 2604 with steps at the rear and also in the bedroom about 6' from the front. Our awning is about 19' x ?' width. We use our RVQ, which attaches under the kitchen window + an aluminum camping table about 4' long for work area and to hold the ice maker. By the time we set up a couple of zero gravity chairs and 2 small side tables, our awning space is mostly used up. The onsite picnic table is never under the awning. We don't care for the outside kitchen and would not want a slide taking up awning space. That said, if you were looking at maybe a 35' trailer, you might not sacrifice much usable space, but for us we're set up just fine with the deep slide with the sofa bed and dinette on the street side. Even then, our slide is deeper than the one on our HTT and we have to shift the TT in the site to clear utilities pretty often. Guess the real answer is how you use your outdoor space and if the inside space/outdoor kitchen is that important for your family.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
We have an ez up but our general rule is that does not get set up on a 2 day weekend as we try to keep the set up as easy as possible.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

spud1960
Explorer
Explorer
Our new camper has the slide under the awning and you are right it does take up awning space but we also have a 10x10 pop-up canopy so that is what we use to put our picnic table under.

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
We saw a few at the RV show with a door-side slide under the awning. We spend a great deal of time outside and under the awning so I didn't like those at all. We also don't have an outside kitchen, but I place a 6' table under our awning and use an electric 2-burner stove to do whatever cooking I don't do on the grill or in the dutch oven. We hardly ever cook inside.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
DavisK wrote:
....I would very much rather have the open space inside the living area when the 2 opposite slides are extended than the approximately 12 sq. ft. of outdoor space lost under the awning.

Same here. I don't have an outsude kitchen although I do have a rail for a shelf and a stove / RVQ and while the slide does take up some room where the awning could be longer, at 17' it is still long enough. Outside space is a lot less important than the inside room afforded by the opposing slides. You can always extend the outside space with a canopy.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we downsized to a trailer that is only 26'7" long, I wouldn't want a slide out taking away room under the awning. I can see where it may be less of an issue with a longer trailer...but I would still want at least a 19' awning or so.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We absolutely love our Keystone Outback (see signature below). The outside kitchen is just a stove and a sink. The slide-out is not under the awning at all.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at them and for the inside kitchen island you need it but I spend more time outside than in. I usually put the picnic table under the awning and it would not fit with the slide there. Bottom line I don't like them but the outside kitchen is a must have.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Frizlefrak
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TT with an outdoor kitchen, but the slide is on the opposite side of the kitchen, entry door, and that awning. It would seem to me that if the slide were on the same side it would restrict space under the awning.

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er has a kitchen slide. Yes, it takes some of the space under the awning. No, it is not in the way getting to my outside kitchen because the steps extend as far out as the slide does. I would very much rather have the open space inside the living area when the 2 opposite slides are extended than the approximately 12 sq. ft. of outdoor space lost under the awning.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds