Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, we decided to keep our truck camper

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
... and stay on the TC Forum

This is where all of the action is...

along with truck camper owners being the best...

Actually.... we have owned truck campers since 1969... and we'd never consider downgrading to anything.

So?

How about you?

sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare
48 REPLIES 48

SALTYDOG5435S-T
Explorer
Explorer
We discussed moving to a different RV like most. But we decided to stay with a truck camper as well. Something about fishing at sunrise waiting for the coffee to brew and we are 20 miles past the end of the pavement on Padre Island National Seashore is hard to beat.

People do bring their big rigs down Island but they have lots of problems if conditions turn bad.

Have fun and enjoy.
2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Less Stuff wrote:
Watch the video on this website it will get your travel juices flowing.

World Cruise

No thanks.... We are dedicated truck campers.... seeing the USA and Canada...

Hawaii and a cruise around the islands was fun.... healthy and safe.

Many place across the oceans give too many opportunities to the crazies to make us become statistics.

Cruise ships, no way; We don't gamble, smoke, or get drunk.... and the ships are fat farms... we would regain the lost pounds quickly.... too hard to get off. (We are both more than 25% lighter than we were 10 years ago)

Thank goodness for truck campers.... if we could just find more time to use ours :B
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the video on this website it will get your travel juices flowing.

World Cruise
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
Less stuff

When you say "The entire route would be Seattle to Iceland to Copenhagen to Rome then the above."

How many weeks woud you be staying in each place?

Dick Rutan and Jenna Yeager went around the world on on tank of fuel... never landed... never saw a thing, never did a thing

I'm sure that you wouldn't want to fly 26000 miles and miss anything at all.

At least a week at every stop. At least three in Rome as we want to see other northern Italian cities as well. (by train)
Retirement allows the luxury of time.

When searching air fares the low fair from Rome to Seattle via Korea popped up it got me to thinking. And looking at air fares. Plus other ways to complete a world tour.

Star Alliance Group airlines offers a $10,000 per person one year world flights on member airlines. If you have lots of money several cruise lines offer world cruises.

Dreaming is fun as well.

Alas my better half doesn't want to stay away from Grand and Great Grand kids for more than about a month. So she may go straight home from Rome. I may as well because at this point i'm dreaming nothing is set.
Well we sure want to see that little girl in Copenhagen. That is somewhat set!
DG
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Leer 180 Topper

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
Not interested in ever moving into any type of trailer/5th wheel combination because of the truck campers accessibility into rough country places. As well as its ability to tow a boat.

Pretty sure you dont want to take your fancy trailer down this

And try and turn it around in this

To camp like this

and chill like this (my buddy)

Please note, maximum allowable photo width is 800, with 640 preferred. If you click on edit, you will see my edit for the appropriate photo size.

Wayne
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Less stuff

When you say "The entire route would be Seattle to Iceland to Copenhagen to Rome then the above."

How many weeks woud you be staying in each place?

Dick Rutan and Jenna Yeager went around the world on on tank of fuel... never landed... never saw a thing, never did a thing

I'm sure that you wouldn't want to fly 26000 miles and miss anything at all.

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting topic.
Let me give another point of view.

We sold our TC.

Our Sold Rig!

These are the places we've spent at least one night in the old TC.

My wife was born in Denmark and so we have family in Europe and visits there are important.
In fact next year we need to see a new niece in Copenhagen.

A few years ago we rented a German RV in Europe had a blast.
Rented motorhome in back yard of Brother in laws summer home.

This is what we came up with after we sold the TC and found we still liked camping.

Side view rigged as a tent trailer. It held an outboard motor, a inflatable boat, and all our camping gear.
Only weighted 680 lbs. with 5 gallons of water.
Wimpy little Jeep Patriot pulled it around fine.

BUT it's a lot of work when your 70.
At least one other person liked it and the first person to respond to the ad owns it for what I had in it.

Just today traded my Jeep Patriot for a RAM 1500 V6 with 8 speed rated at 25 mpg. Gracious my Patriot was only rated for 29 mpg.
One of these things may be in my future.

Then when looking at Air Fare home from our next years European trip to see our New Niece.
Korean Air showed a inexpensive flight from Rome via Korea to Seattle.
Then I got to thinking Rome to Istanbul to New Delhi to Singapore to Tokyo to Seattle.
Wow around the World and the price isn't to bad.

If you don't spend all your money on an RV some very interesting possibilities open....

You don't have to be rich to have rich experiences.

The entire route would be Seattle to Iceland to Copenhagen to Rome then the above.
DG
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Leer 180 Topper

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
We LOVE having both a TC and a 5th wheel. We have been full time in the 5th wheel for 6 years, and bought the TC to go to Alaska last summer. We still use it a lot- very flexible way to travel.
We are hanging out in Coconino NF in the camper right now.
We are finally building a winter home in AZ and anticipate the TC will continue to see a lot of use.

Sue.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
jmckelvy wrote:
sleepy wrote:
.....The next year they drove doen to McLean, TX, set up om doggy row and stayed all winter... drove home again in April

The following year they decided that they were going back to the same exact spot in the same camp ground in McLean.

McLean, TX!!! If its the McLean East of Amarillo, I can't imagine why anyone would spend the winter there. We have been though that area numerous times over the years. There used to be a little "campground" just South of the Red River Steakhouse which we stayed at several times but it closed some time ago. The Red River Steakhouse was OK but the rest of the little town is drying up.

Have we missed something?

I goofed up.... thanks for catching it....

I ahould have said McAllen, TX

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought that we would get another 5er. We ended up with a TC thanks to DH's convincing arguments. As it turns out, it's perfect for our lifestyle. Our model is spacious and comfy. I may entertain a triple slide at some point.

I don't see us changing as long as we're healthy enough to climb into the cabover. 🙂
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
.....The next year they drove doen to McLean, TX, set up om doggy row and stayed all winter... drove home again in April

The following year they decided that they were going back to the same exact spot in the same camp ground in McLean.

McLean, TX!!! If its the McLean East of Amarillo, I can't imagine why anyone would spend the winter there. We have been though that area numerous times over the years. There used to be a little "campground" just South of the Red River Steakhouse which we stayed at several times but it closed some time ago. The Red River Steakhouse was OK but the rest of the little town is drying up.

Have we missed something?
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
We had three kids at home... they slept in the dideways queen bed.... Janet and I were "forced" to cuddle on the dinette.... we even took a young barely adult neighbor lady (baby sitter) with us to Florida... Walt Disney world and to watch Apollo 17 's night shot to the moon...

She slept with the kids.... in those days we stayed in campgorounds most of the time... showers, places for the kids to play... etc.

Our son had an Army Surplus screened/rain roofed hammock by the time he was in his teens... added to the adventure.

Slide outs hadn't been dreamed about back then.... of I'd have done it. I built our first 10' 6" TC..., we used it for more than 30 years....

When folks are having a good time the quickly learn to make a concession here and there.

We have 3 great grand children.... I doubt that they'll ever travel with us.

Thank you for giving the kids a good life...

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
... and stay on the TC Forum

This is where all of the action is...

along with truck camper owners being the best...

Actually.... we have owned truck campers since 1969... and we'd never consider downgrading to anything.

So?

How about you?

sleepy

A lot of action here. For us it depends on the family growth. We have an 8 year old. We end up having/adopting a couple more kids and likely we will move towards a monster toy hauler. We are already 53' long with the camper on and enclosed trailer with toys in it. On second thought, the camper might stay and we ADD a toy hauler. love the flexibility of just taking the camper for quick trips to the coast and we can park and camp anywhere.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
poriggity wrote:
I'd love to upgrade to a 4x4 sportsmobile

Not sure I would consider that an "upgrade" from a TC...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
We toyed with the idea of a small Class C (or B+) for the ease of transporting with us our 2 animals.

Because of numerous reasons (winter storage; non dedicated motorized vehicle; very high insurance; fewer places accessible; etc; etc; etc; etc, we decided on keeping our existing rig, and leave the animals at home.

However(!), having a fully paid for truck camper rig with all the bugs worked out shouldn't preclude us from buying 1 or 2 inexpensive "used" tow trailers, to be installed in areas of interest for us, in the "deep south", to be used as pied-à-terres. So, we could have a locally stored $5 grand trailer (or, trailers) bought IN our deep south locales of interest, to be stored and used in situ, where we could relax in comfort, and launch truck camper expeditions therefrom....
....if they should ever get destroyed by flood, pestilence, civil unrest, asteroid strike, lightning, forest fire, torn into pieces by tornado, swallowed by earthquake, vaporized by an exploding volcano, washed out to sea from rapid sea level rise from disintegrating AntArctic ice shelves, sea surge from hurricane, swamped by tsunami, squatted in by Mexican drug smugglers, eaten by termites or turned into a battered hulk by basketball-sized hail, who cares ??!!
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou