cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So what is your take on diesel fuel prices after 2020?

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
For those that do not know, a few years ago the International Maritime Organization made a significant regulation that will have a big impact on everyone's wallet, especially diesel vehicles owners. They set a new standard for sulfur content in ship diesel fuel that they allow at their ports to .5%S by January 1, 2020. That is a significant drop from the current limit. While this will have an impact on everyone's wallet because this new fuel will be more costlier than current fuel used(which will increase prices on everyday goods), it may end up hurting or helping diesel owners according to some analyst.

Many here may remember when the EPA set the ULSD standard and how it effected diesel prices due to the extra refining and purification needed, and causing "sweet" crude prices to increase even more. For years, on land diesel owners alone had to pay the added cost for all of the added refining equipment and processes since the low sulfur fuel was only for them. Diesel fuel refiners also switched to using more "sweet" crude (that was only previously used to make gasoline) due to its lower sulfur content versus less expensive "sour" crude it used before causing the demand(and price) for "sweet" crude to increase.

There are people on both sides of this argument. Some are saying it will cause both diesel and gas prices to skyrocket because it would cause the demand for "sweet" crude to increase even higher. Others are saying that it will cause on road diesel prices to go down because now shipping will also be paying for the added refining processes spreading out the cost for the added piping and other equipment needing to purify "sour" crude.

What is your take on it?
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
83 REPLIES 83

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Not knowing what the PPM levels will be, I suspect the marine diesel regulation will not have an impact with "on the road diesel" prices.

I would have to disagree. As the article a later posted after my original past. It will more than likely increase demand and price for "sweet" crude for a period of time and then settle back down. This will also increase gas prices since gas is made from "sweet" crude as well.

Why Diesel Prices Are Set To Soar
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

What is the current sulphur content and proposed sulphur content in PPM for marine diesel?

Not sure, but current sulfur content in Emission Controlled Areas(ECA)areas such as local waters in the US and EU is .1% which is lower than this .5% regulation. However, according to Shell, ECA's account for a much smaller percentage of fuel demand.

IMO 2020:
Whatโ€™s next?

Shell wrote:
The transition to 0.5%S will cause more changes to global marine industry than the switch to the 0.1%S fuel in the ECAs. The impact of this transition represents approximately 75% of global marine fuel demand when compared to the demand of ECA.

This article from BP has a better map of ECA areas.

MARPOL 2020 and beyond

Not knowing what the PPM levels will be, I suspect the marine diesel regulation will not have an impact with "on the road diesel" prices.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

What is the current sulphur content and proposed sulphur content in PPM for marine diesel?

Not sure, but current sulfur content in Emission Controlled Areas(ECA)areas such as local waters in the US and EU is .1% which is lower than this .5% regulation. However, according to Shell, ECA's account for a much smaller percentage of fuel demand.

IMO 2020:
Whatโ€™s next?

Shell wrote:
The transition to 0.5%S will cause more changes to global marine industry than the switch to the 0.1%S fuel in the ECAs. The impact of this transition represents approximately 75% of global marine fuel demand when compared to the demand of ECA.

This article from BP has a better map of ECA areas.

MARPOL 2020 and beyond
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I figure they'll either go up, or go down, or stay the same.

Bold prediction. Are you sure you want to go out on that limb?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Some of the articles I have read have stated that it won't just be a price increase, but a temporary diesel fuel shortage similar to the fuel crisis in the 70's if refineries do not have the capacity to refine enough low sulfur diesel.

If this is to be the case then you'll see a shortage in gasoline, all coming from the same barrel of oil. Articles like those just add to the excuses for driving the price up... news headline: "CEO of Dead Matter Energy Corp... stubs toe while chasing secretary, oil jumps to $200/bbl, on news toe will take 6 weeks to heal".
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
For those that do not know, a few years ago the International Maritime Organization made a significant regulation that will have a big impact on everyone's wallet, especially diesel vehicles owners. They set a new standard for sulfur content in ship diesel fuel that they allow at their ports to .5%S by January 1, 2020. That is a significant drop from the current limit. While this will have an impact on everyone's wallet because this new fuel will be more costlier than current fuel used(which will increase prices on everyday goods), it may end up hurting or helping diesel owners according to some analyst.

Many here may remember when the EPA set the ULSD standard and how it effected diesel prices due to the extra refining and purification needed, and causing "sweet" crude prices to increase even more. For years, on land diesel owners alone had to pay the added cost for all of the added refining equipment and processes since the low sulfur fuel was only for them. Diesel fuel refiners also switched to using more "sweet" crude (that was only previously used to make gasoline) due to its lower sulfur content versus less expensive "sour" crude it used before causing the demand(and price) for "sweet" crude to increase.

There are people on both sides of this argument. Some are saying it will cause both diesel and gas prices to skyrocket because it would cause the demand for "sweet" crude to increase even higher. Others are saying that it will cause on road diesel prices to go down because now shipping will also be paying for the added refining processes spreading out the cost for the added piping and other equipment needing to purify "sour" crude.

What is your take on it?

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I went back to a gasser.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I can't predict what fuel prices will be next week, next month let alone come 2020.

X2!
2010 Suncruiser

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the articles I have read have stated that it won't just be a price increase, but a temporary diesel fuel shortage similar to the fuel crisis in the 70's if refineries do not have the capacity to refine enough low sulfur diesel.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I figure they'll either go up, or go down, or stay the same.

Yep. I'll go out on a limb and say it will go up AND down. In no particular order.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Up down or sideways, you gotta pay the price, or park tje rig.

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
home heating season is coming ....the prices will only go in one direction and wont be down!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
......oil companies have enjoyed 25 billion dollar profits over a 3 month period, they run wild when it comes to oil prices. .

There is so much more to it than profit $$s. Look at their margins. Way lower than almost any industry
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can't predict what fuel prices will be next week, next month let alone come 2020.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I love the way oil prices just 20 or 30 cents a gallon jump up over night and if they go down it's 1 or 2 cents over a 6 month period. oil companies have enjoyed 25 billion dollar profits over a 3 month period, they run wild when it comes to oil prices. they added lead additives to gas and the price was 25 cents a gallon, now they have unleaded and the price is $3 something a gallon. what makes you think they will sell at a lower price.