cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRW v. DRW

Ducky69
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of purchasing a Columbus 385bhs GVW 15940. But I'm unsure if a new 3500 Dodge Longhorn mega cab SRW with a tow capacity of 16720 will be fine for towing, or should I move to a dually.

Please advise Thanks

Pin weight of camper is 1920 dry weight 12,300
Payload of truck is a little more than 4000 lbs

Is length of camper an issue besides weight of camper?
25 REPLIES 25

Ducky69
Explorer
Explorer
So, never took the bite of the Colombus 5th. But right now considering ( have a great opportunity) to purchase a Heartland Gateway 3650bh. I'm currently driving a Ram 3500 Megacab. the Gross on the 5th is 15,500, with pin weight at about 2K. if I go with 20% of Gross, I'm still under for payload capacity of 5500 on the SRW.

Did purchase the diesel.

so for destination camping and maybe a long cross country trip, is this enough truck for sturdiness and safety?

thanks in advance

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
someone says wrote:
4000lbs is the "advertising" payload number for a barebones truck with no options.

Actually Dodges payload numbers are for that particular packaged truck.
Looking at Dodge Body Builder guide has payloads for a .....
ST tradesman...
SLT...
Bighorn/lonestar SLT...
Laramie...
Longhorn...

They all show a different payload numbers per their package. Granted other options may be added and may change the payload rating by a 100-200 lbs or less.

A DRW has a lower towing capacity but a higher payload capacity than a SRW truck and the higher payload is the deciding factor

Again when we actually look at the numbers the Mega Cab DRW has up to 29000 lbs tow rating with the Aisin and 21000 lbs with the 68RFE vs 17xxx lbs for the SRW with the 68RFE.

IMO the SRW Mega will handle the size 5er the OP is looking at just fine. I also wouldn't go strictly by a payload number but would recommend weighing the trucks axles separately. That will tell the owner how much weight is left for a payload.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
A DRW has a lower towing capacity but a higher payload capacity than a SRW truck and the higher payload is the deciding factor. After 13,000 lbs. the trailer needs to be a 5th-wheel and that puts a lot more weight on the rear axle. The axle can take the load but not the two tires. Easiest solution is to add 2 more tires to support the load.

More than 80% of the people I see towing 5th-wheel travel trailers on the highway are using SRW trucks. The people I know towing them have a wet trailer weight that is under 14,000 lbs. and they do just fine. One is towing a large 35' trailer and I have a hard time visualizing it as being too small for anyone's needs.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Although I am all for getting a SRW unless you need the added payload of the dually I think most of the disadvantages of the dually that your author lists are bogus.

X 2.

Bogus. Could not agree with you anymore 4X4ord.

X3
I don't rotate tires but it can be done. About the only things in that list I somewhat agree with is the snow and automatic car washes. I personally hand wash all my vehicles anyway and many DRW in my area single em out in winter.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
k9mab wrote:
k9mab wrote:
Short story, as I recall, is he lists one DRW advantage and 8-10 disadvantages, many of which I wouldn't have thought of. A few of the disadvantages apply only to commercial hauling, but most are more generally applicable.

OK so here's the DRW advantage/disadvantages as the author sees it. Comments welcome from y'all...

DRW Advantage
  • Easier to control on windy days

DRW Disadvantages
  • Requires Class B inspection (expensive, most inspection stations can't do)
  • Tolls much more expensive
  • Illegal on parkways
  • Terrible on ice/snow
  • Embarrassing fuel mileage
  • Won't fit normal car wash bays
  • Steel bed (uncommon) needed to tow on roll-on flat bed tow truck
  • Can't rotate tires (eh?)
  • $300/tire for 10-ply commercial tires

In spite of disadvantages, author has had three DRW trucks.

Other advantages I see (correct me if I'm off base here from lack of experience)
  • Higher tow/haul capacity
  • Safer in event of rear tire blowout
  • Better braking with more rubber on road

What a crock!! Requires Class B inspection...not in my state. Tolls on the ONLY toll road I drive on, I77, are the same whether I'm driving the Jeep Patriot or my dually:h I guess if you don't know how to drive in the snow, it can be terrible..I don't know of very many vehicles that CAN drive well on ICE!!! I wash my own truck, but I've never had an issue of pulling into a car wash and using high pressure to get salt or mud off:h Steel bed,....haven't figured out what he's trying to say here...I don't rotate tires on dually, never have, though you can. "commercial tires"???? Guess so, I buy Michelin and have seen commercials on their tires...The guy that wrote this would never be asked by me for any advice...definitely out in left field..

What was this guy smoking? I could think of better negatives than what he listed...My mpg has been over 16 mpg which is better than any dually I had going back to 07.5'....

Why would one expect awesome mpg on a 1 ton crew cab, long bed 4X4 Dually? Does better than I expected...a plus to me...

and until you've towed the same 5er over the same mountainous curvy roads that I have with both SRW and DRW trucks and KNOW it's a more stable ride with a heavy/heavier 5er..not to mention when the wind is blowing....I'll stick with the dually, even IF there were now a SRW truck out there that could handle my 5er.

To the OP..forget about empty weight, it's a joke, go with GVW because you never know how much you're going to pack into the 5er...take 20% of that and figure pin weight you'll be putting in the bed of your truck.
From the response of several in here that I feel give good advice, it sounds like a 1 ton SRW truck will work for you...BUT, if you're going to be towing on curvy mountainous roads, I'd "think" about the dually....your money, your call.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

_plit
Explorer
Explorer
i've been doing a ton of research on this as well. I have a lifted 08 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 with airbags, aftermarket 20 in wheels and E rated tires i use for pulling my toy hauler. My TH is an 08 Ragen Fsc2800. My wife is wanting a fuzion 5ver (ok..me too) which pin weight exceeds 3K. I know there are a ton of guys here in AZ and SoCal who tow way over with these 35-40ft THs and i dont want to be in that club.

Since this is strictly a TV, i am buying a dually. I looked at all trucks (2007 +)for towing/truck capacity from 250s to 450's to Kodiaks etc. I am hugely surprised at late model Dodge trucks and their low GVWR. You have to pretty much "order" one to get a dually with over 12,200lbs GVWR (4x4, MC-CC). All trucks since around 2007 have great "tow" capacity from 250s on up but the 5er's PIN in the TH category seem to be going up. Even though materials are lighter and stronger they are throwing in more and more "options" in these. So i am planning for 4-8 yrs down the road myself (not saying i will have the truck that long).

I was pleasantly surprised when i drove a dually (f450) the other day. the longbed made a difference in the ride and the truck rode smoother than expected. I never felt "big" or "wide" driving it. It was also nice not to have to step up into a truck for once (mines lifted). I like the 350/3500s but i dont want to ever have to worry about what i tow size/weight-wise. I know the diffs from the SRW v DRW but i made my choice. Now if it was a DD, i'd rethink this. I know right now i will never make it into my parking garage downtown with a DRW. Heck they had to make an "exception" for my lifted truck and let me park in visitor parking cuz i couldnt make it under their parking signs! 🙂 Anyways..good luck with your purchase.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
1920 is the "DRY" pin weight. Loaded will be much heavier, probably closer to 2500-2800lbs.

4000lbs is the "advertising" payload number for a barebones truck with no options.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Ducky69
Explorer
Explorer
So short of payload (which 4300 lbs is enough) the SRW will handle the camper by looking at the numbers. Getting a DRW seems to allow larger payload. Towing only changes due to gearing. It seems the SRW should be the way to go (as it is also a daily driver).

Thanks everyone

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Although I am all for getting a SRW unless you need the added payload of the dually I think most of the disadvantages of the dually that your author lists are bogus.

X 2.

Bogus. Could not agree with you anymore 4X4ord.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
k9mab wrote:
k9mab wrote:
Short story, as I recall, is he lists one DRW advantage and 8-10 disadvantages, many of which I wouldn't have thought of. A few of the disadvantages apply only to commercial hauling, but most are more generally applicable.

OK so here's the DRW advantage/disadvantages as the author sees it. Comments welcome from y'all...

DRW Advantage

DRW Disadvantages
  • Illegal on parkways
  • Terrible on ice/snow

Other advantages I see (correct me if I'm off base here from lack of experience)

2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

k9mab
Explorer
Explorer
k9mab wrote:

DRW Advantage

DRW Disadvantages
  • Illegal on parkways
  • Terrible on ice/snow

blt2ski
Ducky,

The braking power of your truck is based on its gvwr. It has NOTHING to do with gcwr. GCWR is strictly a get up and go/performance power factor! Braking has to do with the tow rigs brakes, along with the towed rigs brakes. BOTH sets of brakes need to work in conjunction to stop a rig in the alloted time you have per the state/jurisdiction you are traveling in. Manufactures GCWR has NOTHING to do with those laws! In fact, most states do not recognize manufactures gcwr numbers, many like the one I live in, do not follow, nor recognize the manufacture numbers from a what I can go down the road at in a legal fashion gvwr wise! I've even been pulled over commercially WELL over the manufactures ratings, and have yet to get an over wt ticket.

Really it is up to the operator to use multiple factors in figuring out if the tow rig etc is safe enough for that drivers needs!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Ducky69
Explorer
Explorer
First i want to thank everyone for the insight.

My biggest concern is safety with the family in the truck. I know the power is there. I'm assuming the braking power will be there if the truck is rated for the GCW. Yes, this is my daily vehicle. Most often will be destination trips, but do want to take a longer cross country trip.

Thanks again

k9mab
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a book from Amazon, title "No Driver Damage", about the RV transport biz (I'm thinking of getting into that game when I retire in a few years).

Reading the sample pages ("Look Inside" link), there's a sample page or two on advantages/disadvantages of DRW from the perspective of a guy who's done a lot of RV hauling. Have a look -- it's an interesting read.

So now I'm rethinking my impending truck purchase (looking at 2014 F350 or RAM 3500, which should still be new enough to lease on for RV transport when I retire). I was pretty solidly in the DRW camp, primarily for possible improved ride/stability and improved safety margin in case of a rear tire blowout. I may still go with the DRW, but after reading about the disadvantages it's no longer a slam-dunk no-brainer choice.

I'm eager to read the rest of the book when it arrives next week.