cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Load by Tork Lift

taycotrains
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my TC a little over 2 weeks ago I wasn't out of the POs neighborhood with it when I thought...."this was a mistake" but my wife assured me "it will be fine this is a good idea...you'll see".

Well she doesn't have to drive the freaking thing...I couldn't believe the way the truck handled...it swayed side to side like a overloaded tandem dump truck...it was awful!

I read on this site about airbags and Helwig sway bars but figured I would try the easy way out with the Stable Load by Tork Lift.She ordered them Monday night and they were here today.

I installed them in about a hour and drove the truck around town...

Very good results !!! no more sway and the truck seems to handle a lot better.

Finally some good news !

23 REPLIES 23

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
I have them and love them. I had no need for airbags. They have been on the truck since 2010. Install and forget.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

yosemiteford
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed these (not the quick release version) and the first trip around the block yields good results - we leave for Yellowstone in a week, so that will be the real test.
2009 SRW FX4 F350, 2002 Lance 1010,TL Stableload, Solar, mini-table, solar, airbags. front Reese hitch, Michelin LTX A/T2, propane generator, Carefree awning,Rigid Off Road Lights

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
Stable Loads really leveled out my set up, now I only use the air bags for side to side leveling. They were a pain to install on mine because you have to drill out the overload perches to mount them, it was worth it! I’m at 10,700 lbs. on an 8,800 GVWR truck, no more rear end sag.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

Bedlam
Bedlam wrote:
StableLoads work for me too on my 2005 F250 with the same camper above that is on the GM DRW 3500.

My spring pack has one more leaf than yours and I have the upper overload spring. My air bags are only used for towing.

I was wrong. My main spring pack has four leaves!

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

taycotrains
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I'm guessing a 2000 lb flat bed, 5000 lb truck and two tractors weighing 500 lbs each. You can pick up an inexpensive WDH from Harbor Freight rated at 10K lbs.

Pretty good guesses on the weight of the trailer and truck.

actual weights are as follows...

17 foot Deande car hauler empty weight at curb...1875 LBS

1956 Ford flatbed w/2 tractors w/full tank of gas...4267 LBS

A WDH sounds like the way to go...Thanks guys

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use an "Equalizer" brand WD hitch for towing our Airstream (not at the same time as TC).

The Eq is great...very easy to use.

You can make this setup work with your truck. One step at a time.

Agree; the Toys are beautiful!

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
The truck and tractors are beautiful by the way....
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

Bedlam
I'm guessing a 2000 lb flat bed, 5000 lb truck and two tractors weighing 500 lbs each. You can pick up an inexpensive WDH from Harbor Freight rated at 10K lbs.

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be surprised if your rear axle is up for the task. That has got to be around 9K-10K in total being towed. Start looking into a weight distributing hitch.

What does the sticker on your door say?
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

taycotrains
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know ... like I said in the initial post I hope I didn't get in over my head...I hope with the TC on that my F-250 can still handle this in back of it...

Here is a picture of my first F-250 I bought brand new on 5/5/05 and it was dead by July of 2012 with only 109000 miles on it...The motor was a real POS but when it did run it was more than "capable"

I miss that truck everyday.

Bedlam
I have both upper and lower StableLoads since 2005 was the first year Ford had pre-drilled lower overload springs. You could use a block of material with a band clamp on your lower overload spring to see how well it works for you. I used a piece of pressure treated lumber held by a large screw through the my overload hole for testing before spending money on the lower StableLoads. Once I saw the effectiveness, I went with the Torklift product because I wanted a way to engage and disengage the lower wedge.

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the upper stable loads, as I didn't want to have to drill my springs, and I already have airbags to supplement.
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

Bedlam
StableLoads work for me too on my 2005 F250 with the same camper above that is on the GM DRW 3500.

My spring pack has one more leaf than yours and I have the upper overload spring. My air bags are only used for towing.

taycotrains
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Stabeloads work wonders for me too...

Wow !!! that is a big truck ! but I can see that is a big camper too !