cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stableload alternative

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
The other day someone posted pictures of a round rubber disc with a stud in the center to be used as an alternative to a lower stableload.
Unfortunately I forgot to bookmark it, and can not locate the discussion.
Thanks in advance if you can point me to the subject.
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.
42 REPLIES 42

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great thoughts and opinions on Springs, Stable Loads and Anti Sway Bars....and air bags too.

Just thought I'd chime in that I on my third truck Camper and third Ford 250 or F350 The Anti Sway Bars on the older Ford Trucks were great at reducing or eliminating truck sway. Ford went to the puny little computer designed Anti Sway Bar, in the 2011 through 2015 models. It is a piece of junk. I installed the Hellwig Big Wig Anti Sway Bar and basically eliminated rear end and camper sway. My past two trucks I had installed Firestone Air Bags along with stock Ford Overload Springs and I was never really happy with the air ride for load leveling. On the 2012 F350 with stock overload springs I decided to try the Timbren Suspension System.....I will never go back to air bags. Love the loaded and unloaded ride with Timbrens. I did add the lower Torklift Stable Loads to engage the overloads earlier when the Camper is fully loaded for those extended trips.
Just my two bits worth.

Very Happy Campers,
Gary and Laurii
HAM RADIO Operator since 1964 'W7FSI'
EAGLE CAP 2011 950 CUSTOM BUILT by the great folks at LaGrande Oregon
2012 FORD 350 XLT 6.7L Diesel 4x4 Super Cab with lots of stuff

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Steve_in_29 wrote:
The frame has pretty much zero to do with sway.

Sure it does, just like under-inflated tires. The anti-sway bar uses torsional spring forces to keep the frame and axle as level as possible when force is applied to either end. The softer it is, the more it leans.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
Most GM trucks do not need an added rear anti-sway bar, the frame is very rigid and doesn't flex as much. You have a front sway bar from the factory.

The frame has pretty much zero to do with sway.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

2oldnslow
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
I agree with MORSNOW on your having a front Anti-sway bar. I disagree that it is not needed in the rear. I am of the belief, any SRW will have a very notable improvement in sway reduction with anti-swab bars front and rear. (snip)

I put a Helwig rear sway bar on my GMC 2500HD and it made a very noticable difference in sway.

I also added Stableloads. They reduced the sag but had less effect on the sway. The combination has made my truck quite stable.

I don't think the frame stiffness has much, if any, effect on sway.
2005 GMC 2500HD
1998 Lance 845
320AHr Battery Bank
400W Solar Array
Morningstar ProStar 30 PWM Controller
NovaKool R5810 5.8cf 12VDC Refridgerator (best mod ever!)

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with MORSNOW on your having a front Anti-sway bar. I disagree that it is not needed in the rear. I am of the belief, any SRW will have a very notable improvement in sway reduction with anti-swab bars front and rear.

From what I have read, of the big three the GMs have the most flexible of the frames. My understanding is this is the major reason for the softer ride in the GMs.

In my opinion a stiff or flexible frame is not the major cause of sway. I believe it is in the suspension and center of gravity as it pertains to axle/wheel width. The stiffer the suspension and wider the rear tires/axles, the less sway.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
zulu52 wrote:

If I got anti-sway bars for my 2015 Chevy 2500, would I need them front and back?
Zulu

Most GM trucks do not need an added rear anti-sway bar, the frame is very rigid and doesn't flex as much. You have a front sway bar from the factory.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
The Mad Norsky, thanks for the information. I had a DRW for over twenty-five years, but did not haul a TC. I have hauled my TCs on SRW trucks. I believe without a doubt that SRW trucks will find a major positive effect with a sway bar.

zulu52, actually, I think the sway bar is properly called an anti-sway bar. Its only function and purpose is to reduce sway. That is why it is an anti-sway bar. I think you should search sway bars and their benefit.

Simply stated, an anti-sway bar reduces sway, shock absorbers absorb shock, overload springs and airbags handle overloading the basic springs.

This is an interesting topic.
If I got anti-sway bars for my 2015 Chevy 2500, would I need them front and back?
Zulu

Bedlam
I experimented with blocks of pressure treated lumber held in place with a lag screw through the spring hole. Like posted above, the loaded ride improved but unloaded made it feels like you had a hard mounted axle. I knew I could continue using the blocks or get the StableLoads that easily engaged/disengaged. The Torklift product is more expensive, but is very convenient, carries a lifetime warranty and has better support behind it than anything else you bolt up to your truck.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
The earlier Torklift lower stable loads were not adjustable like the newer versions are. My guess is most dont know what they looked like. Basicly they made constant contact all the time, like many of these home made versions. I had a set and they made the truck ride like a tank. The ride was that rough in the rear that I would knock out tail light bulbs on some trips when I was running empty. Loaded ride was no problem. When one of them broke I contacted Torklift and they sent me a new set of the new adjustable ones. Now there is no way I would go back to a lower bump stop system that could not be disengaged quickly and easily.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Grodyman, the solid block does not eliminate the flex in the spring pack. It simply reduces or eliminates the travel for the overload contact. Typically, it will make the vehicle suspension stiffer, and for some people could be a harsh ride.

Wayne

Yep, simple physics here at work. It simply engages the lower overload spring sooner. This gives you the ability to carry more weight, with less sag on the spring pack. Now...one ton trucks are able to carry more weight with less sag due to having an upper overload that engages to prevent sag and keep a 3\4 ton pack to maintain the ride customer want that want a luxury truck and a heavy hauler.

My truck rides like a truck now with the stiff 19.5's. When I load my camper, engage the stableloads and level out my bags, it rides great! Do I kiss my caddy truck ride? Sometimes, got spoiled. But... my tuck is a truck and it works fine.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Grodyman, the solid block does not eliminate the flex in the spring pack. It simply reduces or eliminates the travel for the overload contact. Typically, it will make the vehicle suspension stiffer, and for some people could be a harsh ride.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky, thanks for the information. I had a DRW for over twenty-five years, but did not haul a TC. I have hauled my TCs on SRW trucks. I believe without a doubt that SRW trucks will find a major positive effect with a sway bar.

zulu52, actually, I think the sway bar is properly called an anti-sway bar. Its only function and purpose is to reduce sway. That is why it is an anti-sway bar. I think you should search sway bars and their benefit.

Simply stated, an anti-sway bar reduces sway, shock absorbers absorb shock, overload springs and airbags handle overloading the basic springs.

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
I honestly don't understand the desire to place a solid block between the springs and the lower overload effectively eliminating the flex in the spring pack and preventing the springs from functioning as designed. A lot of people use the product, so it must work, but I don't get it.
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Terrick down Under, Thanks. I am considering a similar setup on my DRW. I am not clear on the "2 x 75 litre propane tanks that just fit between the rails , rear of axle and the hitch which weigh about the same as 4 x steel rims and tyres. "

Zulu, not sure what you are running due to no info in your profile or signature. If you are SRW, and do not have a sway bar, I can say with confidence that a rear sway bar will be a seat of the pants obvious difference in controlling sway. I do not have a sway bar on my DRW. Some folks say not needed on a DRW, with overload spring engagement modifications. I hope they are correct, but I will know in the near future. I am in the process of setting the DRW up for my TC.

Wayne

Wayne,
2015 Chevy 2500, 4X4, long bed, single rear wheels, crew cab.
No sway bar. To tell the truth, I'm not sure what a sway bar does or how it is attached.
Zulu