cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting to look for a DRW

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm at the max for my 03 Dodge 2500 4x4 QCSB, and it does good, but I have the DRW bug because of the added payload, and stablity.
I can only afford up to a 2010, and today drove a 05 Dodge 3500 QCLB. It drove great, and could tell it was stout, but the leather seats are like sitting on a folding metal chair with a little cushion. Also the fiberglass fenders look flimsy, and wavy. I'm in no hurry so any suggestions are welcome.
24 REPLIES 24

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thats a nice bed, but you can't do this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DKN3gogbX8to

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
Pickup boxes on dualies are silly. Truck needs a flatbed. Here's mine.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
2500 Grunt wrote:
garyp4951 wrote:
I'm at the max for my 03 Dodge 2500 4x4 QCSB, and it does good, but I have the DRW bug because of the added payload, and stablity.
I can only afford up to a 2010, and today drove a 05 Dodge 3500 QCLB. It drove great, and could tell it was stout, but the leather seats are like sitting on a folding metal chair with a little cushion. Also the fiberglass fenders look flimsy, and wavy. I'm in no hurry so any suggestions are welcome.

Why not do a SRW to DRW conversion. Much cheaper and you already know where and what your truck has been thru. A DRW has a lower GCWR than a SRW because of the extra DRW truck parts or weight that is added (for my 05 anyway?). Same axle too just shorter?? Stability is your only benefit by going to DRW. Adding an exhaust brake with a controller will cost about $1500 for parts or subtract $300 from that and add a lock up switch ($10 in parts). You will lose mileage with a newer 2010 too because of the added emissions compared to your current truck.

Good idea, I will also check on the trans upgrades.

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
I just moved up to a DRW F350 to pull my fiver.
A 1999 and it is a much better ride and stable.
I installed a PHP-HYDRA chip for better towing and pulling and it is great.
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
I like the metal fenders better myself.. To the OP, I had a 2010 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4 in Laramie trim, towed my 16,000# 5er through the mountains of NC, SC, TN, VA and WVa, truck did an awesome job...The much maligned 68RFE tranny performed flawlessly The EB was aweseome.. I could highly recommend one if you're thinking about getting one..Looks great, inside and out.

Funny how you hear how bad the 68RFE is but I never see any evidence of that unless someone has added a tuner.

My combined weight is 28K and with 42K on the truck the trans is great. Very solid shifting.

If it is so great and I think it probably is, why not keep it???

It is kinda like saving money for future!!!
But of course it is you wife's money so enjoy.
chevman

I for once would like to see someone here with a newer 6.7 cummins keep a truck until it had some real miles on the truck! :R

I guess any truck is great if you dump it every couple of years! :W

Wow, didn't know at almost 64 years of age, I had to ask YOU if I could trade trucks....been doing it since I was financially able to do it.....I figure I EARNED the money, I should be able to spend it the way "I" want to....I had an 01, 03, 05, 07.5 Chevy's D'A's...sorry to have not included you in my decisions....

Maybe pick out someone that lives in your area, maybe a friend...and monitor them. I and my wife will do as we please with our money and what we want for us...If I had purchased Fords, I would have done the same thing....Maybe, if I don't die first, I'll be able to keep you posted on this one...it's my retirement truck.....then again, I really don't care what you think of my life style...believed I'VE earned the right to do whatever I want to with the money I've earned from working....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:

Why not do a SRW to DRW conversion. Much cheaper and you already know where and what your truck has been thru. A DRW has a lower GCWR than a SRW because of the extra DRW truck parts or weight that is added (for my 05 anyway?). Same axle too just shorter?? Stability is your only benefit by going to DRW. Adding an exhaust brake with a controller will cost about $1500 for parts or subtract $300 from that and add a lock up switch ($10 in parts). You will lose mileage with a newer 2010 too because of the added emissions compared to your current truck.
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
I like the metal fenders better myself.. To the OP, I had a 2010 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4 in Laramie trim, towed my 16,000# 5er through the mountains of NC, SC, TN, VA and WVa, truck did an awesome job...The much maligned 68RFE tranny performed flawlessly The EB was aweseome.. I could highly recommend one if you're thinking about getting one..Looks great, inside and out.

Funny how you hear how bad the 68RFE is but I never see any evidence of that unless someone has added a tuner.

My combined weight is 28K and with 42K on the truck the trans is great. Very solid shifting.

chevman

I for once would like to see someone here with a newer 6.7 cummins keep a truck until it had some real miles on the truck! :R

I guess any truck is great if you dump it every couple of years! :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted the higher rating HP and TQ and to get it you had to go medium duty tranny, which was a bonus to me:B
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

chevman

BecauseI want the next best thing and for the first time in my life I can afford to do so.

Someone will get a great truck when I trade this one in.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
45Ricochet wrote:
eHoefler wrote:

You might ought to go out and try to stick a magnet to your dually fenders, they are fiberglass. The steel one piece bed and dually fenders did not come out until 2010.

I stand corrected :S

Yeah I was wondering what Rick was drinking :W

Anyways I still prefer the plastic bolt on fenders on the dually fenders because if you ever damage it, it's an easy replacement that will take only a few hours to remove and replace with a new painted piece, whereas the one piece fenders like the current RAM and Chevys require the complete bed panel to be replaced and repainted which means your truck will be in a body shop for a few days.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:

You might ought to go out and try to stick a magnet to your dually fenders, they are fiberglass. The steel one piece bed and dually fenders did not come out until 2010.

I stand corrected :S
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin