cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step tread adhesive?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
The rubber tread finally came off. This is the one that you step on when it is hinged in the up position as shown in the images, it is on the bottom when in the in-use down position and that rubber used to half hang-on dangle down.

I have tried general use spray can adhesive to try and keep it in place before all gave out... The factory install has some sort of thin rubber like double stick tape of sorts.

Should I use a regular paint-on contact cement? There really on no porosity to either mating surface. I don't think a regular thin double-stick tape will work. Really do not want to use construction adhesive as I don't think it would hold over time.

What you recommend?

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
11 REPLIES 11

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all the comments and ideas... it is not a priority at this time and I will implement one of the ideas sooner or later.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
I used gorilla glue on my fold down step. The rubber on the bumper step is coming up now too. I may try the double sided tape just to see how it compares.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

Bedlam
Mine lasted less than three years on my Arctic Fox in the wet NorthWest before coming up. I used Gorrilla Glue after cleaning both surfaces.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mine started to come up and I glued it back down with JB Weld Steel Kwik epoxy. it hasn't moved since.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same kind of step. I have never understood why there is rubber on the underside of the step. Mine folds up but it no where near level when folded. I have to fold it down in order to get into the camper even when the camper is off the truck and close to the ground.

Anyway, I would just start over and use new material from the home center or hardware store.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I used the 3M molding 'super strenth' tape to reatach our rubber treads back to step. Available most auto parts stores. Been a few years and its still attached.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Skateboard grip tape would also work and it comes pretty wide and in different colors and designs, even clear and it's pretty cheap. A quick look and it looks like a lot of it is in 9" wide by 33" long.
I love me some land yachting

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 on traction tape.
I got a roll of commercial grade tape over 20 years ago and used it on glow steps just a year go.
It stays solid.
Looks like my size of coffee cup 😉

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
3M makes a stick on "traction tape". I made a redneck step for my boat and put the 3M on. Been on for maybe 4 years. I think they were available in different sizes. I might have got it at Lowe's.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
The rubber on my step stool that we use to get up on our TC came off just as yours did, I cleaned off remaining adhesive and went to auto parts store and bought some non skid safety tread, cut it to size ans pealed off the backing and stuck it down. Has been on there for 5 years now and shows no signs of pulling loose.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have had great luck with 3M double sided mounting tape for a variety of projects....(like yours).

3M makes of ton of different types of this tape for different applications...
I think it's the way I would mount tread on my steps....
(we have tread rugs now which I really like)

Here is one designed for outdoor use:

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro