Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

storage question

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
both tow vehicle and RV

do you guys place mouse bait in or around the tires of the vehicles as they are stored for the winter?

one year I had some animal rip the top on my rv while it was in winter storage, always wondered if they were after the boxes of mice bait I had thrown up onto the roof of the rv.

when the food ran out they were mad, so they started tearing up the roof.

its almost a waste of time anyway, as the mice bait I can buy at TSC or other stores TOM CAT only has 0.01% Bromethalin which must just make the mice hungry.
who knows what the other 99.99% is

any thoughts on storage is appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
link

Mkirsch I agree with you, why would you bait rodents to the RV? As I said my RV;s have always been storied outside and I have never had any issues with rodents in any of my RV's. I also have never used any kind of bait or traps.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
There's a reason they call it BAIT.

Bait ATTRACTS the critters. They think it's food. They go towards it. You do the math.

Locate the bait to draw critters AWAY from the RV. I put packets of bait in several locations around the perimeter of the building. That keeps the critters around the edge, away from what's in the middle (i.e. my camper and truck).

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Cat with AK-47 - YouTube
Video for cat with machine gun? 0:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIoLSUeh2bA

(can someone edit this link so it will work....I have to left thumbs----thanks)
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
There is a guy on another forum who used bait, the rat died on top of his black tank and the smell lingered for years. They found it a few years later when he was upgrading his plumbing bay.
One year I used the bait boxes and when I was taking the 5er out in the spring I saw the clear section of the tail light was green. Yeah bait stash.
I used the peppermint bags this year for the 1st time along the walls of the garage. I also set 6 victor spring traps just in case. Caught 2, 1 being right next to the peppermint bag :W
Short of owning a cat I don't know of any solution that is 100% effective for controlling mice.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
I never added anything to or around my RV during storage and have never had any issues with varmints of the four legged kind.

As for the use of sticky traps, they are the most inhuman way of killing any animal period. They should be band from use IMO.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Some have good luck using cotten balls soaked with peppermint oil placed around the RV.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder what diatomaceus earth would do if you spread it on the floor all around the rig.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove any food sources, add some sticky traps and close the doors.