cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions please..new to this!

ValerieSarah
Explorer
Explorer
I need a truck and a truck camper by April. I am new to this so was hoping people had suggestions on what worked best for them. I plan on going out west and living off road and on BLM land and national forest land most of the time. I have about $20,000 to spend for both the truck and trailer. A 4x4 is a must but I am pretty open to everything else. Camper must have toilet and shower as I am going to live in it for 1-2 years. Any recommendations? Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
My suggestion: GO SHOPPING!

The big RV show season is just starting, at least around here, and probably where you are too. Hit the shows, go inside the units, see what you like and what you don't. Climb into the shower and see how it fits. Sit on the toilet. Lay on the bed. Move around in the kitchen.

Salesmen won't bother you. I've been to several shows and the sales people don't even bother looking up from their newspapers even though I'm crawling all over their trailers like a spider monkey.

Once you get an idea as to what size trailer you want, start searching the inventories of all the local RV dealers. They generally have a lot of used trailers on the lot. Watch your local Craigslist.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Valerie, if you are looking for a small trailer (not a truck camper), you can get away with a significantly smaller truck - like a Tacoma instead of a Tundra. Let us know more about your needs and wishes -- with so many of us waiting anxiously to give you our two cents worth, you'll be able to buy an Airstream Bambi! 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thing is, "camper" is used to describe just about all rv's in some parts of the country. However, since she indicated "trailer", I too believe that is what she is looking for.

Hopefully, she will come back and give us more info.

Ro
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, I think a quick explanation of the RV types would help the OP a lot as she goes from truck camper to trailer to camper in her post.

Truck camper - "TC". This is also known as a "slide-in camper". It slides into the bed of a pickup truck. There can range from lightweight pop-up styles to heavy ones with slides (a portion that slides out from the side of the camper when parked to provide more walking room inside).

(Travel) Trailer - "TT". These have one or two axles usually and attach to the tow vehicle's hitch. They come as small and lightweight as a pop-up up to huge trailers with multiple slides.

Depending on how you came to your decision that a 4x4 truck is a must, you could potentially go with either a TC (truck camper) or a TT (travel trailer). Knowing more about where you plan on going and what you plan on doing (as well as if there is anyone or any pets joining you) could help folks offer more advice as to what would work "best" and why (realizing that best is often in the eye of the beholder).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ValerieSarah wrote:
... I have about $20,000 to spend for both the truck and trailer. ...!

I moved this thread from the TC Forum based on this statement. The stated they were new to this. Based on their stated intended use, and available moneys, I think the OP may not realize the different RV types. Should the OP prefer it in the TC forum, they can make the request and I am sure that TT Forum Moderator will move it back.

Wayne
Moderator (TC Forum)

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
You need to look for a 3/4 ton used truck you will need it for a truck camper set up that you can live in for an extended time. Lance makes some of the best truck campers but they are more common on the west coast. You may be able to find a truck and camper already set up for sale. You will be challenged to stay in your budget for sure for a decent combination. Good luck.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Cdaddy wrote:
Why a truck camper and not a trailer? More room better layout. More options

This. A small C pulling a small pickup might end up being better and cheaper in the long run.

But your budget is kind of tight for anything that is anywhere near to new.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
You might even look into to something like a 17 foot "Casita" trailer. You'd have a lot more room then a truck camper. And they can be pulled with just about anything with a 4 or 3.5 liter engine w/tow package.

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you start prowling rv lots and looking at all the trailers that are available. Don't just walk through but spend some time in them sitting pretend you are doing what ever it is that you do, watch tv, getting dressed, showering etc. Once you find a floor plan that you like then start prowling for that floor plan in both new and used. After you find a trailer that suits your needs and desires, choose the truck that is capable of pulling it. Usually a 22-25 foot trailer is minimum that I would even consider for spending a lot of time in. Slides make a lot of difference in living area, some like them, some don't,

There are lots of posts on here that provide info on GVWR, hitch info, and such. Pulling a trailer demands a GOOD hitch. Do not go cheap in a hitch.

Good luck.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd look for a used Northern Lite or Bigfoot, and buy the truck to haul it. You'll probably have to come to the Northwest/BC to get one at a reasonable price. That could be a good thing because our trucks also don't rust out like Ohio.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Valerie, welcome to the forums! I am hoping the moderator moves this over to the Truck Camper forum -- this is the trailer group. First, have you checked Craigslist? There are some great bargains to be had. If you are not experienced, be sure to have someone knowledgeable check your camper thoroughly before you buy it.

It is possible to live off-grid most of the time out west, but it is not easy, especially if you are not yet an expert in boondocking (which is what we call it -- the rangers call it dispersed camping). There is a separate boondocking forum here, which focuses on tips and tricks.

One more question: are you "handy" with tools and repairs? If not, this may not be a great fit for you -- all RVs involve a fair amount of routine maintenance, more than an ordinary house does. (That's mostly because the camper is subjected to a violent earthquake every day -- the road!)

Hang in there, good luck, and ask lots of questions!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Why a truck camper and not a trailer? More room better layout. More options