cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

super single dually tires

mdw60
Explorer
Explorer
Boy my jaw dropped when I saw the Chevy crew cab haul the eagle cap TC that had the door on the right side. 1165 I think?
It had the super single tire on instead of two tires. I want one of those so I can go on the dirt paved roads and not worry about rocks get stuck in between the tires.
I cant find them anywhere here in Colorado. Do any of you use those tires? pros and cons?
I don't want to change trucks to SRW. I love driving with the dually, which gives my peace of mind.
thanks folks
;)02' 6.0 (gas) CHEVY SILVERADO CREWCAB DULLY
Crossroad sunset trail 26rb TT.
2010 8.5 NorthStar Arrow TC.
Homemade boat trailer/redneck 12'sea king.
17 REPLIES 17

mdw60
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I got the answers. My son is a off road nuts and rebuilds engines. He was wondering too, so he got in hold of the big tires guys who works on semis and pick ups. there is few cons of using those tires.
1 is the capacity limit. I will lose about 700bls. they said my camper (5000bls load) is a bit too heavy for those tires.
2 is if flat, possilily will damage the fenders. and where will I put the spare one? its illegally to carry it in front of your truck in Colorado. the two tires on one side if one is flat the second will help hold it till I replace the flat.
3 cost more than the two tires put together!
4 not good in rain snow or mud. dually tires with camper has a lot better traction then those super wide single tire.
So I was told its much better to keep it as is with the dually tires and much safer.
so I guess I stick with the ones I have. many thanks guys for your time. have a good Christmas time wherever you are.

Bedlam
We have not had issues with 19.5's on the WA coast or any of the desert access roads in SoCal (Tehachapi, California City, Johnson Valley, Needles, Salton Sea) so far. I hear that Padre Island can be pretty soft and requires tires that float on soft sand but have never been to Nacogdoches. Since we have vehicles with us that go into much tougher terrain, we don't have to push our luck and only have to go in far enough to get away from any possible traffic.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
There is an area where we go that is mix of volcanic ash and sand once a year and bring off road toys. Two years ago we had to drag our trailers farther into the soft sand than usual (normally back them in with the gravel road closer to the tow vehicle). The tires didn't squat at all with 50 PSI and I did not want chance airing them down less and losing a bead. It was only an 1/8 mile stretch, but it was hard to stay on top of the sand with 245/70r19.5 tires on the SRW and not dig. The driving was in 4-low to avoid wheel spin and getting buried. Use of floor mats and wood scraps had to be used to get moving every time you came to a stop.

old trick I used to use was to carry 20-30 burlap sacks and a shovel. Soft stuff, fill the sacks with sand and make a road bed in front (or behind depending on which way was going to get you to more solid ground) of each tire. Yeah it was slow and a pain but it beat getting buried up to the frame. If a tire was buried I would put the jack on a board lift the rig up and put a full bag under tire
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Bedlam
There is an area where we go that is mix of volcanic ash and sand once a year and bring off road toys. Two years ago we had to drag our trailers farther into the soft sand than usual (normally back them in with the gravel road closer to the tow vehicle). The tires didn't squat at all with 50 PSI and I did not want chance airing them down less and losing a bead. It was only an 1/8 mile stretch, but it was hard to stay on top of the sand with 245/70r19.5 tires on the SRW and not dig. The driving was in 4-low to avoid wheel spin and getting buried. Use of floor mats and wood scraps had to be used to get moving every time you came to a stop.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Bedlam, please keep me posted on how your 5500 does in the sand.
I've taken my 4500 all over my land in Nacogdoches, 4 wheel drive in some places, but I've never had it on soft sand.
When you went down to 50psi, what was it like?

Bedlam
I have taken my 19.5's down to 50 psi in the sand and that helped only marginally when I had a SRW. I have not had my DRW 5500 in the sand yet to see how it does with 19.5's. Those MPT's look like a possibility, but I worry about finding replacements quickly if one fails.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder of you are losing carrying capacity?
I have a 4500 Sterling with 19.5s and it handles beautifully, but I've hesitated to take it out on the beach because I've read on this site that you can't air them down. If I could go to a single, fat tire, that I could air down, without losing carrying capacity, I'd be very interested.

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
I don't know if I just noticed it but seems like a lot of semi's have recently started going to these.

A lot of semi's use them. They are only for the 22.5 rims. I do not know if they make them in a smaller size . From what I have heard, some of the drivers do not like them in the rain or snow. They hydroplane and get pretty squirmy.

The reduce the unsprung weight as you only have one rim and one tire ,albeit a wider one. Weight is very important when you are grossing 80,000#. Weight is also money in fuel.
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

Bedlam
Thanks, I didn't see tires on the site other than the Mickey Thompsons. For some reason few of the images were loading for me and the information I found was sparse. How common are these tire sizes when you get a failure and need to replace them?

Link to the MPT's:

http://www.continental-specialty-tires.com/www/download/industry_uk_en/general/download/prod_mpt_pdf...

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
They use 20" rims with LRE tires. That is big hit in payload/axle capacity.

Not trying to split hairs, but they also use Continental MPT tires with rating from 4,500 lbs to 6,500 lbs for a 37-41 inch single tire on their 20 inch rims.

mdw60
Explorer
Explorer
bobondot, I called them and left a message, Im waiting for them to call back.
mkirsch, that web site is not in service or is down.
I am wondering about the one who had it, got it on special order?

Bedlam
mkirsch wrote:
Take a look here:

http://1stattack.com/super-single-wheels-2/

The nice thing about these is you can use them on all four corners, and only need to carry one spare.

They use 20" rims with LRE tires. That is big hit in payload/axle capacity.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don't know if I just noticed it but seems like a lot of semi's have recently started going to these.

Seems like a nice option but as someone else mentioned, they are so big a simple bolt on replacement is likely not an option.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Take a look here:

http://1stattack.com/super-single-wheels-2/

The nice thing about these is you can use them on all four corners, and only need to carry one spare.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.