cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kitchen table to heavy

shasta24
Explorer
Explorer
One of the projects I want to handle this winter is make a new kitchen table. The one I did the first time is of course used also as the front bed, so I made it way to heavy. I used plywood and then added pieces around the edge for width. It has laminate on it that matches my counter top. Any way I was wondering what they use from the factory when they make them. Any clue? Or have you made one for yourself? thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
What they do at the factory depends on who is making it. I've seen ply and chipboard of various weights with edge trim, and timber framing 3/4 to 1 inch supporting a lighter ply, like 1/4 inch, all covered by some laminate. How it is made has something to do with how it is fastened down, i.e. framing more often for end support with a prop, and heavier single sheet if pedestal mounted.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
There is "lightweight" MDF available. I've used it. The regular stuff weighs in excess of 90 lb for a 49x97" sheet (roughly 3 lb /sq.ft.) The light stuff is about 40% lighter.

A strong and lightweight solution is a "torsion box" Clicky for procedure for a heavy-duty version If you don't feel up to making one, you can get a hollow core door with the eggcrate interior and laminate that up. Though you'd need to beef up your attachment points on the bottom.

If you decide to make a torsion box, you can get "door skin" plywood and build your box with that. Then laminate with HPDL. The only caveat is that you have a thin surface layer so don't be dropping heavy sharp objects on it.

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
The "light duty" factory table in our terry dakota is hollow (like a door). Basically, 1/4 inch ply with laminate of your choice on top and 1/4 ply on the bottom. The width can be what you want. They then "frame" (fill out) the edge with solid spruce / pine that is grooved to receive a vinyl edge trim all the way around to "hide" the "sandwich". For "strength", they "strategically" glue in cross members in the interior to shore up the table and receive things like the tube holders for the legs. Overall, it is certainly not meant to hold a 200 lb plus person lying on it across a 36-48 in gap of the seating area. Ours suffered from this causing it to "fracture" in a few places which I then replaced broken components and reglued. To improve strength, I built a small support frame / stand that fits under the table when it is deployed in the "bed position" to shore up the middle of the table towards the open end / side.... ie the table when deployed in bed position is supported on three sides, the fourth has little or no support which is weak (poor) for heavy "clients"... 🙂

Note, our table has collapsible "scissor" legs which provide no support when "bedded". On a "pipe" leg table, there might be "short pipes" that can be used to provide better support in bed position.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Camping is Camping, RC is RC, and never the twain shall meet.....with any luck at all. This could also be changed to Quilting is Quilting and never.....
Although...on our yearly trek to FL, DH has a favorite RC shop with the best fuel prices anywhere, so he invests in a case and it lasts him all year +. I have a couple of quilt shops and contribute to their economy, but that's as far as it goes. NO FLYING OR QUILTING ON CAMPING TRIPS!!!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly understand how R/C can get in the way of other hobbies. I chose to combine both passions.

P.S dont tell my wife the planes "sleep" on the dinette table when she isn't there.
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww178/FDav8r/RC%20flying/IMG-20120822-00395.jpg

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Believe they have the table and countertops prefabbed and then just install. Ours in Rocky is MDF covered with the same as the countertops. DH is a wonderful woodworker - furniture quality - and I'd love for him to make one to match our cherry cabinets. However, RC has become an addiction and the woodworking - other than rebuilding unplanned landings - has gone by the wayside. Think I'll keep what we've got.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

chily3
Explorer
Explorer
Our table is part of the dinette bed at night, will look at the thickens of this and see if can make another one in the spring as our is heavy also and goes up and down each day.
Mike & Emily
2016 Aspen Trail

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The stock table on my Fun Finder was made of MDF covered in laminate -- 30 pounds! I made my own out of half inch baltic birch plywood -- 10 pounds, and a lot better looking. I finished it with natural stain and wipe-on poly.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my cheapie laminate table with a solid oak one I built (slightly oversize also). I wasn't concerned about weight, just wanted a more rich look to match the rest of the trailers trim. It was in my Jayco TT and our Colorado 5er.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

shasta24
Explorer
Explorer

Here is what I have. Its so heavy it takes two to set it down.

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, I was thinking of the same winter project today.