cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

surge protector

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about getting a 30 amp surge protector for my new TT, however I would like to know how everyone else feel about using a surge protector.
46 REPLIES 46

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky to 30amp Surge Guard
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
I resisted for years, finally bought a 30 Amp Surge Guard and the first trip out pulled into a site with reverse polarity, open ground and low voltage. No telling how much it saved me. I will never plug in again without it. Incidentally, Camping World right now has an internet special on the Surge Guard brand 30 amp portable for $139.97, Reg $329.99. Don't know how to do a clicky but this is the web site http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/Portable-Surge-Guards-With-LCD-Display-30-Amp/58464/&?&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CjwKEAjwr6ipBRCM7oqrj6O30jUSJACff2WHWhaOb8eNLHDfZgvBjmmUIMy1OD2IfAIMMlccwOYQkBoCW8_w_wcB.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I have the ~$200 TRC unit, got a pre-owned deal from a local couple who had upgraded to an RV requiring 50-amp service.

It definitely creates peace of mind for me. We had it trip multiple times for low voltage while staying at the North Rim (Kaibab CampeRVillage). This was in moderate temps and virtually nobody was running air conditioning. So I knew I could NOT run mine safely (and the managers were in the "I don't care" mode during our visit).

It also helped a week ago when we were at a non-traditional spot and plugging into a regular outlet (via an adapter). We could enjoy the TV and microwave and not worry that we could damage the trailer.

I take it a step further and test any outlet before I get started. My process is typically in this sequence:
1) Turn off breaker(s). Then turn them on/off after each step as appropriate.
2) Plug in a 3-light tester to verify the polarity is correct and ground is present.
3) Switch out the 3-light tester for a plug-in voltage indicator
4) Hook up surge protector, cable up RV, then final turn on of the breaker

DW is usually inside setting up things and knows the "click" of the surge protector being happy. She'll then set the clock on the microwave and that becomes our telltale for if the protector has had any issues.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ x3 on the progressive industries inline unit. Cheap insurance for all your electronics. Plus the handy readout gives you how many amps your drawing which can help in a troubleshooting problem.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
cbshoestring wrote:
Cheap Insurance; peace of mind when I see this....

Some CGs have trouble keeping up with the demand that modern units require. It has been "set off" a few times due to low voltage. That can be just as bad as a surge.

It was a very straight forward install, so I installed it myself. I liked this version over the one you use at the pedestal, because of rumors that the other kind gets stolen from time to time.

I have this unit as well. Excellent. Available at Amazon:

Amazon Link

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one. I feel it's cheap insurance.

I don't have a real fancy model. It may not work I hope to never find out but, if it did work, and I ever needed it, sure would be worth it then wouldn't it.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Hill wrote:
Stupid question...won't the insurance package policy I have on my trailer pay for damage caused by a lightning strike, power surge etc?

My deductible is $1,000.00. A good surge protector is 1/2 of that. As others have said a claim could affect your rate.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Hoosier Daddy wrote:
I bought one... and I am a cheap Bast***

Same here but I am frugal not cheap. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I bought the following the surge protector from Progressive Industries.
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
The PI EMS shuts down at 104 volts and the other brand, 102 volts. 102 volts is too low IMO for that reason alone, the PI EMS is the better choice, and overall, a much better choice.

I do have a Surge Guard because I got a great deal on it but I agree, 102 vac is too low - should be 104 vac. Don't understand really why TRC would have chosen this as the low cutoff voltage for the Surge Guard. :@

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Even when insurance will cover obviously damaged items, power surges have an accumulative damaging effect on electronics that are not immediately taken out. Months later after an event, the microwave or stereo or TV will just c r a p out for no reason. Prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:
Blue Hill wrote:
Stupid question...won't the insurance package policy I have on my trailer pay for damage caused by a lightning strike, power surge etc?

What is the value of the likely lengthy downtime required to replace the baked bits? And as noted, what is your deductible? Also, what will be the impact on your annual policy premium as a result of having a significant claim?

Sure makes protection, one time payment, look rather attractive in my opinion!

Although surge protectors probably won't help for a lightning strike, there are other "sources" that make that "one time payment look very attractive"
Here's a bunch of 'em - all in one campground!

And.....*LOTS* of DOWNTIME represented here.....

The Electrician Said "Oops"

Another vote for PI EMS - portable or hard-wired.

Don't "plug in" without it...:W

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
I think they are good insurance. Would not go without one with all of the electronic stuff in today's campers.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if insurance covers your damage, the last thing you ever want on a camping trip is to have a lot of things fried and inoperative. Another thing - you could be frequently experiencing low voltage and not know it and it will eventually kill an AC unit. The PI EMS shuts down at 104 volts and the other brand, 102 volts. 102 volts is too low IMO for that reason alone, the PI EMS is the better choice, and overall, a much better choice.

We're camping right now and the voltage is down at 108 volts at 9am. Vey surprising for this time of the year and for only maybe about 50% full. In the summer with lots of AC units running, it will definitely be lower.

Blue Hill wrote:

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Hill wrote:

What is the value of the likely lengthy downtime required to replace the baked bits? And as noted, what is your deductible? Also, what will be the impact on your annual policy premium as a result of having a significant claim?

Sure makes protection, one time payment, look rather attractive in my opinion!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Hill wrote:

Check your policy ... even if it is covered what's your deductible? This aside, why even suffer damage in the first place when products designed to protect your rig from such disasters are so readily available?