cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Survey - who has had a citation for RV overweight?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Details appreciated like where, details of weight, fine or jail time, did your rig get towed, were you handcuffed...
95 REPLIES 95

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
blt2ski wrote:
Actually, in Wa st, EVEN if pulling for personal pleasure, one must stay under the FBL's, have a high enough paid for license. Follow the truck speed limit of 60 mph even if it is legal to 70 for cars, assuming over 10K in any way shape or form. Need to chain up when signs say to do so over 10K. This will also include those under 10K, but paid for license is over 10K, or the max sum of truck and trailer can be over 10K........You do not need to go to scales, make up a log book etc. BUT, from a weight perspective and a few other things, yes one must follow the same rules regs etc.

marty

Correct.
Everyone is subject to the weight limits. The weigh limits do not specify if someone is hauling commercially or private individual. They apply to every vehicle on the roadway. Think about the reason for the weight laws. The weight limits are in place to protect road surfaces. Doesn't matter who is hauling the weight, either commercially or private individual.
If you buy a D-10 CAT weight laws don't apply just to the trucker who delivers your D-10. If you then decide to load it on a trailer and move it to another location that D-10 is going to weight the same.
People spouting off what they think weight laws involve really ought to stop listening to the fat guy in a flannel shirt around the campfire. They need to read the law before the pipe in and show they really don't know what they're talking about. They don't know enough about the topic to realize how silly they look. Basic weight law class was 40 hours. If a person hasn't actually studied the law then please quit giving their opinion or popping off with what they think because they simply don't know and it just spreads erroneous information.
Camped in every state

Bedlam
blt2ski wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Anything in Washington st over 10k, be it gvw or gcw has to.follow truck speed limit max of 60 mph anywhere! Chains required over 10k where appropriate, whether you have a 4wd vehicle pulling trailer, or single dually 4we rig. Based on PAID for licenses,
Just because you are an RV per say, does not mean you can get away with out following some of the.commercial style rules.

Marty

I did not know that.

I'm not questioning the validity of your statement, just curious where I can ready that info - what's the RCW that makes the statement about following the posted "truck" speed limit when the vehicle is over 10k?

I do not know the rcw off the top of my head, BUT talking to many cveo, leo's from the SP, they have ALL told me this is true from the over 10K total. Most of what I have learned is from a couple of classes taught by CVEO's.
The chain up requirements is from a form I got many years ago via the SP office in North Bend Wa, when I was starting to pull my TT to snoqualmie summit. I have seen similar forms in Or, Id, and CA.
IIRC rcw 45.xxxxx is the weight law info.

Marty

Title 46 of the RCWs deals with motor vehicles. Here is the link for the RCW limiting 10K+ lb vehicle speed. Note this also applies to vehicle combinations over 10K lbs.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.410

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

blt2ski
06Fargo wrote:
So who has actually had a citation or fine for an overweight RV rig?

NO ONE! as NO ONE is near the FBL limit to worry about getting a ticket! If someone does get a ticket, it is more than likely they were way under paid for license max weight. From an RV point of view, and if someone loads to manufacture ratings or under, the chance of getting a ticket if paid for license is over this amount, and really really really slim! more than likely, not happening from THIS forums standpoint.
Some in the type A and C MH area, if they load to a 25K gawr, they will be over by upwards of 5K lbs, and be in a world of hurt, as I doubt too many of them can lose 5K lbs off that axel in the 8 hr max timeframe they have to lose the weight! This is the ONLY scenario I can think of that will get an RV'r in trouble.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

blt2ski
deltabravo wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Anything in Washington st over 10k, be it gvw or gcw has to.follow truck speed limit max of 60 mph anywhere! Chains required over 10k where appropriate, whether you have a 4wd vehicle pulling trailer, or single dually 4we rig. Based on PAID for licenses,
Just because you are an RV per say, does not mean you can get away with out following some of the.commercial style rules.

Marty

I did not know that.

I'm not questioning the validity of your statement, just curious where I can ready that info - what's the RCW that makes the statement about following the posted "truck" speed limit when the vehicle is over 10k?

I do not know the rcw off the top of my head, BUT talking to many cveo, leo's from the SP, they have ALL told me this is true from the over 10K total. Most of what I have learned is from a couple of classes taught by CVEO's.
The chain up requirements is from a form I got many years ago via the SP office in North Bend Wa, when I was starting to pull my TT to snoqualmie summit. I have seen similar forms in Or, Id, and CA.
IIRC rcw 45.xxxxx is the weight law info.

Marty

blt2ski
deltabravo wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:
If you are in an RV you are not subject to these federal and state weight laws.

..unless you are towing or driving an RV for commercial purposes, like being an RV transporter... but then you'd have a DOT number and placard on your truck from the transport company... and in that scenario you are supposed to stop at every truck scale you encounter, if it's open.

In the case when i was doing it, I only had to put a higher weight rating on my vehicle registration for WA State, which is where the truck was licensed. I think I had it registered for 22k.

(someone in an earlier posted mentioned increasing the weight classification of your vehicle registration)

Actually, in Wa st, EVEN if pulling for personal pleasure, one must stay under the FBL's, have a high enough paid for license. Follow the truck speed limit of 60 mph even if it is legal to 70 for cars, assuming over 10K in any way shape or form. Need to chain up when signs say to do so over 10K. This will also include those under 10K, but paid for license is over 10K, or the max sum of truck and trailer can be over 10K........You do not need to go to scales, make up a log book etc. BUT, from a weight perspective and a few other things, yes one must follow the same rules regs etc.

marty

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
blt2ski wrote:

Marty

I did not know that.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
So who has actually had a citation or fine for an overweight RV rig?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
fulltimedaniel wrote:
If you are in an RV you are not subject to these federal and state weight laws.

..unless you are towing or driving an RV for commercial purposes, like being an RV transporter... but then you'd have a DOT number and placard on your truck from the transport company... and in that scenario you are supposed to stop at every truck scale you encounter, if it's open.

In the case when i was doing it, I only had to put a higher weight rating on my vehicle registration for WA State, which is where the truck was licensed. I think I had it registered for 22k.

(someone in an earlier posted mentioned increasing the weight classification of your vehicle registration)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Searching_Ut wrote:
For those mentioning the risk of facing a lawsuit after an accident, if you look at how that sort of suit actually works, it's what you're worth that determines whether or not you get sued, not whether or not you're at actual fault. That said, I do use a dash cam as it's so common for folks to pull in right in front of you, often so close you can't even see their bumper below your hood.

I laugh at these theoritical lawsuit claims all the time. Anyone can be sued for anything at anytime.

What is "safer"... a half ton truck that is overloaded by 500 lbs, or a 1 ton truck that is loaded to the max of its GCWR? Why did you pick what you picked?

What will stop in a shorter distance... that overloaded half ton or that fully loaded 1 ton?

Now, what if the half ton had brand new tires and brand new brakes on it and the one ton truck was right at the wear bars and the brake rotors were at minimum spec.

Now, what if the driver of the half ton was a 35 year old, was a seasoned driver, and was giving full time and attention to the road and the driver of the one ton was 70 years old and distracted by the GPS, or confused about his exit, or simply having a naturally slower reaction due to his age.

Which vehicle is safer now, and why?

There are so many variables into safety, you cannot simply make a blanket argument that the over loaded half ton was UNSAFE simply because it was 500 lbs over its GCWR. You simply cannot make the argument that the 1 ton was SAFE because it was within its GCWR and within tire and brake specs (but at the razors edge of acceptable). The mere difference in age, weight, vehicle condition and reaction time between drivers/vehicles would account for potentially hundreds of feet of distance driven between the threat presenting itself (car pulling out in front of you) and your ability to react to the threat, and then your trucks ability to slow down sufficiently to lower the speed of impact or prevent a collision.

It is a PROVEN FACT that older drivers have a slower reaction time... that doesn't make older drivers inherently at fault and liable in civil court. This is all internet myth, contrived out of pieces of stories, third hand removed accounts and theory.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
For non commercial drivers, you just have to ensure you comply with the license requirements of your state, and of course be under the extremely high weight standards already mentioned. A couple times when hitting the dunes in Glamis California, I've had to laugh at the poor folks with CA plates when they do set up the scales. They just wave us through with our out of state plates.

For those mentioning the risk of facing a lawsuit after an accident, if you look at how that sort of suit actually works, it's what you're worth that determines whether or not you get sued, not whether or not you're at actual fault. That said, I do use a dash cam as it's so common for folks to pull in right in front of you, often so close you can't even see their bumper below your hood.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

blt2ski

Marty

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
moresmoke wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
demiles wrote:
The only one I've seen was down in NC leaving ZMAX dragway and wasn't the normal trailer/fifth wheel. I was following a friend pulling a 30Ft racecar trailer with living quarters and he was pulled over and weighed. He was over his registered GVWR and received a fined which was $150 I think. They told him he was considered commercial because he received money and or products for competing. He also had the usual product stickers all over the side of the trailer.

Over the years I've also read more than a handful of first hand posts usually from Pa concerning weight and or registration fines with these race car trailers with all the advertising and even some where because they could win $$$ they were considered commercial rigs.

Larry

The most common test of this I have heard of is: If you are guaranteed money for showing up at the event - then you would be considered commercial. You are being paid as a performer.

Now some states interpret these rules to their own likes. The 10,000 lb trailer rule is one. Some states have it worded as a trailer over 10000 and GVW over 26000. Others use a trailer over 10000 or GVW over 26000.

I run around to motorsports events in the summer, if I ever get accused of being commercial, I am going to start filing my expenses on my taxes. I bet the IRS will claim its a hobby!

Those numbers are the determining factor that requires one to have a CDL. To be considered commercial your GVWR or combined truck and trailer GVWR will be 10,001# and up. Our F150's and Tundra's are considered commercial as soon as one is hooked to any of our trailers. Our lightest duty trailer has a GVWR of 7'000#.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:

I have been held for a period because another company driver owed a fine, so they confiscated my truck until the company paid up (still was not wadcutter).

Nope, never did that.

VIRGINA.

Drove on to scales in a daycab, officer asked if I was an hourly employee. When I said YES, he sent me around back, told me to come inside. Showed me a fine the company had, as well as a regulation that stated they had the right to confiscate my truck as collateral until the payment was received.

He had several of our trucks cross the scales that day....I was the first HOURLY employee. He was apologetic, but also figured the company may let a mileage driver sit, but would probably use a bit more haste with an hourly employee. He was right, took me less than 15 minutes to get a comcheck, be on my way.

In IL only the State Police has the authority to enforce Motor Carrier Safety regs. We received extra training and certification for MCS levels

Several years back, PA started to allow locals to enforce carrier safety. A lot of municipalities, mostly near industrial centers, are operating portable scales in vacant lots.

See a lot of tri-axle coal trucks, and steel haulers pulled in....I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN RV.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
the bear II wrote:
Lawyers will look for overweight RVs involved in accidents
http://www.justaccidentlaw.com/motor-vehicle-accidents/rv-accidents-motor-homes/

Link

LOL, you don't have to be overweight to have an ambulance chaser after you!

Be way over weight and side swipe someone and you're at fault.........guess what....you're at fault.

Be under weight by thousands of pounds and side swipe someone and you're at fault.....guess what....you're at fault!

The problem comes when some idiot pulls out directly in front of you, or pulls directly in front of you and "Break Checks" you and you hit them. They will say it's your fault.
This is the reason I run with a Dash Cam, underweight or overweight, I would strongly suggest all RV's run with them!!

My favorite is always passing lanes on hills, I will be climbing at the speed limit or a bit better, and as I see the lane ends there is this sect in my rear-view mirror and it is trying for all it is worth to get a head of me. If they make it they may need to squeeze into a the space the following space I allow, then typically because that were speeding about 15 mph over what we were all going, slam on their brakes to keep from hitting the car in front of them!!!

Once again, best defense is a dash cam.

It just doesn't work that way in real life. At least in my area. The HP just doesn't have time to mess with this stuff. If an accident occurs they don't break out the scales and start weighing things. Even in a fatality case. They sweep the glass off the road and get on with getting on. It's just not like CSI on TV.

And they can't weight it later either because of chain of custody issues. This actually happen in my area. There was a fatality and the vehicles in question (boats)were taken to storage. This was a VERY high profile case which garnered nation wide attention. There was a controversy whether a light switch was on or not. The police took pictures of the switch being off in storage. It was thrown out because there was no chain of custody at all while in storage.

Dash cams are good................or not. :B They are a double edge sword. They can prove your case.................or they can convict you!

Be careful out there.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I can only attest to my experiences in CA. I have done my best over the years to comply with all applicable laws as I have had truck camper, pulled doubles, and now the DP with toad or cargo trailer.

First off overweight is an issue with the RVs as well as the SUV running down the freeway with 6 passengers and all their luggage.

CA DMV is most concerned with correct drivers license and tags and only seems to concern themselves with weight if they can collect a separate fee for registration.

CHP and local law enforcement also seems to care less about weight but rather just enforcing the correct license is held for each rig setup. I was lucky enough to experience one of CHP's roadside portable smog emission testing stations and to my surprise the DOT officer pulled out his commercial vehicle corner scales. Knowing I was going to be found over the manufacturers weight ratings I began to explain the upgrades I had made to my truck and FW so the officer might take these into consideration. The nice officer quickly stopped me and stated towing recreational he would or could not ticket me for being overweight in an RV. He stated that I could be pulling my 40' FW with a Toyota Tacoma and would still be legal as long as I had made honest attempts to make the setup safe and was operating in a safe manner. He also said in a civil (financial) case with that setup I would be up a creek without a paddle but still unlikely to get a moving violation.

As it turned out I was over but not grossly on trailer axle weights and the front truck axle but just under on the rear truck axle weight. I was also impressed and surprised how thorough the officer was in inspecting trailer brakes, lights, and hitch attachment. This seemed to be his biggest concern.