cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swear my last question not. TT weight

Camper76
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I'm looking at Jayco jay flight 32' fully load its 9000lbs. My truck can tow up to 8500lbs. I know I'll never fully load it. Would you buy it or stay clear of it?
57 REPLIES 57

Camper76
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Camper76 wrote:
Payload is 1610lbs

There we go... The weight of you, wife, kids, and cargo in the truck, plus the tongue weight of the loaded trailer, should not exceed this weight.

Thank you

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Camper76 wrote:
Payload is 1610lbs

There we go... The weight of you, wife, kids, and cargo in the truck, plus the tongue weight of the loaded trailer, should not exceed this weight.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Camper76
Explorer
Explorer
Payload is 1610lbs

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking for a smaller trailer,just to camp in, to tow without a WD setup meaning I want to stay in the 4-5K range which includes most 24-25 ft trailers without a slide.Just saw an older 24ft that was 3900 empty putting it around 5K loaded for a trip.

There are exceptions though.IMHO the older trailers are heavier than the newer ones at the same length because of the new RV craze sweeping the nation and tow vehicle compatibility.Light weight sells!

I do not whole heatedly agree with the manufacturer tow ratings because,as an example: A newer F-150 ford can be rated to almost 12K towing capacity while some older F-350 Dually's were only rated at 10K.There not even close to the same in the real world!
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper76 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Camper76 wrote:
Once I get home this weekend I'll post the payload.

Thing is. If you do your homework. You can find a good sized TT that you can easily tow. Length has little to do with weight on many new trailers.

My TT in my sig is 31 feet. But with all factory accessories, awning, AC, fridge, furnace, battery, and empty propane tanks. It weighs 4811lb. Once loaded to camp. It is right at 6000lb give or take a couple hundred, depending on where it is going.

Your truck should have no problems towing it. It is a bunkhouse, and sleeps 10. So take your time, and you can find the TT for you, or hey. buy mine from me, and since the whole family don't go all the time any more. I'll get a smaller one. That sleeps 2, TWO, dos, deux. Get the hint.

What kind of trailer do u have?

I have a APEX, 288BHS. 2 full size bunks, Queen in master, sofa makes a bed, and table makes a bed. Really, Light TTs are every where. Google is your friend
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Camper76
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Camper76 wrote:

Thing is. If you do your homework. You can find a good sized TT that you can easily tow. Length has little to do with weight on many new trailers.

My TT in my sig is 31 feet. But with all factory accessories, awning, AC, fridge, furnace, battery, and empty propane tanks. It weighs 4811lb. Once loaded to camp. It is right at 6000lb give or take a couple hundred, depending on where it is going.

Your truck should have no problems towing it. It is a bunkhouse, and sleeps 10. So take your time, and you can find the TT for you, or hey. buy mine from me, and since the whole family don't go all the time any more. I'll get a smaller one. That sleeps 2, TWO, dos, deux. Get the hint.

What kind of trailer do u have?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
deux
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper76 wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Camper76
Explorer
Explorer

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I think the "New member" is having some fun with us.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
You've been asked multiple times to post your payload from the yellow sticker on the door jamb. That's the critical piece of info. If you don't know how to read the yellow sticker, then take a picture of it and post it.

Why are you unwilling to post your payload numbers? Do you want an answer?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"It's pretty amazing seeing everyone towing big these trailers.."

Doesn't amaze me but does scare me. Hopefully if they kill anyone it will be themselves and/or their family.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of trailers on the market that are great family trailers that come in under 5000 lbs!

Camper76
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Camper76 wrote:
If I look for trailer around 4500lbs that's probably a 19' trailer. I have family of 4. I'd need to get a 3/4 ton to tow anything bigger.

Pretty close. The thing to remember is whether you are looking for a mobile home or a camper. If you want to buy a mobile home, then you need a mobile home tow vehicle. Great that you started asking before spending. A family can have a great time camping in a 5,000 pound trailer. We did it for years.

The cruel truth is that manufacturers (and a few forum members) who say that their 1/2 ton pickups "can" tow 11,000 or even 13,000 pounds are not talking about typical units but a few specially equipped models. Read the fine print. Most units found on dealer lots are better suited to 1/2 that. Have fun.

Im looking at a travel trailer