cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swivel seats in pickup for MOHO experience?

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
I have a crew cab dually and tow a big fifth wheel. I am always waffling about getting a motorhome to make long drives (>3k miles) more comfortable. It occurred to me that if I could make my pickup more comfortable then it might kill off some of my reasons for wanting a motorhome. The interior of my f350 crew cab is really pretty large, but the seats take up a lot of room. I have a family of four (wife + two kids). The idea popped into my head that if the front passenger seat was narrower and could swivel and if the rear seats were individual and could swivel then it would allow for those chairs to be positioned (rotated) to face each other. Then a very small table could be placed in the middle of those chairs to allow for card games, etc. Swivel seats might also allow for the rear seats to recline a little to let the kids nap better.

Has anyone ever seen this sort of modification?

I know that there are safety considerations but, hey, I ride a motorcycle and have been known to drink expired milk. So, please be easy on the safety comments and bring me creative observations and ideas.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat
9 REPLIES 9

Clay2529
Explorer
Explorer

I thought about doing the same thing I was wondering if it was against the law

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
GWolfe wrote:
Didn't some of the Chrysler mini vans have swivel seats? I wonder if something like that could be used, they are probably a little smaller than regular captains chairs.

Found a pic:

Edited to add pic.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking of.
Wife, kids, dog and cat

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't some of the Chrysler mini vans have swivel seats? I wonder if something like that could be used, they are probably a little smaller than regular captains chairs.

Found a pic:

Edited to add pic.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
RedJeep wrote:
Ductape wrote:
The comfort of the MH in travel is because passengers can get up and move about. No way to duplicate that in your truck.
OTOH I would prefer the truck if it's me in the driver's seat for 3k miles.

I'm interested, why would you prefer the truck? Are they easier to drive or more comfortable than a motorhome for the driver?

Exactly. Truck is better to drive; MH is better to be a passenger and to live in. Opinions on this will likely differ, but that's mine.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It might be possible if you have bucket type seats.
I did it in my Class C and they do have bases for Fords. It legal to have if they are locked down and these swivels do that.

The place mentioned before,DiscountVan is no longer,It is now Shop4 Seats.
You can see if the thread that I did on putting swivel seats in may be of help.
Here
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I have swivel seats in our MH and would gladly TRADE them for yours! 1st the driver seat is a PIA to try and turn due to steering wheel and the seats themselves are listed as the Flexsteel ones but I really dont like them. We also have an F350 so yes I would like to install some of them. The PU is out long distance travel vehicle for going wo the TT or MH. Much more comfortable than the wifes accord!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Red, some quick Googling turned up this van site that sells seating and such for custom vans.

However, they have this posted:

Federal Motor Vehicles Safety Standard (FMVSS) 208 was set by the Department of Transportation in 1992 to reduce the injuries caused during collisions involving van conversions. Van conversions created after 1992 must have all seating and tables locked down to the floor. Also, captain's chairs can no longer swivel. Adapters are available for pre-1992 vehicles.

Discount Van & Truck also has seats and pedestal bases that may fit your truck.

It looks like you should be able to buy what you are looking for but it won't be legal to install. I'm with you on the safety point, but if you have annual safety inspections in your state that could create a problem for you. Also if someone has the seat swiveled during an accident that could create additional liability since the swivel seating violates Federal law.

Happy MH shopping!

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
The comfort of the MH in travel is because passengers can get up and move about. No way to duplicate that in your truck.

I'm interested, why would you prefer the truck? Are they easier to drive or more comfortable than a motorhome for the driver?
Wife, kids, dog and cat

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...