cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic trans fluid in tow vehicle

stap
Explorer
Explorer
I've read the few synthetic transmission fluid topics, but perhaps not being a "car girl" I don't see a reply that I can understand. What has been your experience with, or would it even be wise, to replace the transmission fluid in a front wheel drive tow vehicle (towing 4 wheels down) with synthetic fluid? My hope is to keep the fluid cooler while towing without adding a fluid pump.
9 REPLIES 9

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
You probably already have synthetic fluid. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
stap wrote:
I've read the few synthetic transmission fluid topics, but perhaps not being a "car girl" I don't see a reply that I can understand. What has been your experience with, or would it even be wise, to replace the transmission fluid in a front wheel drive tow vehicle (towing 4 wheels down) with synthetic fluid? My hope is to keep the fluid cooler while towing without adding a fluid pump.

"(towing 4 wheels down)" sounds like a "towed" car. dingy.
AND
"fluid pump" .. towed car.. again I think she is talking about a towed car. and all 4 down.

synthetic is the best way to go.. tow or towed.. but need more information on what you are asking.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dr Quick wrote:
Are you talking about the "Towing Vehicle" or the "Towed Vehicle"? If it is the towing vehicle, yes synthetic would be better.
If you are talking about a vehicle that you are pulling,(towed) using synthetic will not keep from the need of a "pump" to circulate fluid. If vehicle manufacturer says that you can tow/pull all four down then, fluid type would not make any difference.

Man I am with Dr. Quick. I agree with his answer but also could not figure out exactly what was being towed or towing. how did all the posters figure this out. :h

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Synthetic is definitely the way to go. It's not really that much more expensive than dino oil, but is far superior.

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you talking about the "Towing Vehicle" or the "Towed Vehicle"? If it is the towing vehicle, yes synthetic would be better.
If you are talking about a vehicle that you are pulling,(towed) using synthetic will not keep from the need of a "pump" to circulate fluid. If vehicle manufacturer says that you can tow/pull all four down then, fluid type would not make any difference.
Dr Quick

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Use it no matter what the manual says but use the correct type. It reduces wear and puts up with heat better than any dino oil. This in turn extends the life of the trans.

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
Use what is recommended in the manual. The important thing is to do the service at all.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bryan is right. It's good stuff, there's no reason NOT to use it and if it was built in the last ten years or so then it probably already has it - though it does need to be changed from time to time.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is a good idea. If you have a newer car, it probably already has synthetic.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST