cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailgate storage

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 Ram 3500 can't have the tailgate on when the 10'2" NL is in the bed. I'm sure that's typical for most people, so there must be a common set of solutions for what to do with the tailgate when not on the truck. I'm currently putting it on a pair of saw horses in the garage, but it's in the way. I'm hoping people can provide some options, links, pictures, etc. for what they have done and maybe what they would do differently.

FWIW, I'm currently leaning towards installing a garage hoist platform so I can raise it to the rafters where it won't block the floor and should be clear of the lights. Any other thoughts that don't involve disposing of it altogether?
39 REPLIES 39

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Mine leans against a shelf in my garage on a rug.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
leaning on a wall is winning in this poll. I didn't really want to do that in my garage, but I suppose I could put it in the shop (never drive there with the truck though since the frass is so soggy most of the year).

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my shed, leaning against the wall.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

n0m4d
Explorer
Explorer
It's been on my to-do list to weld up a frame that has the same tabs and latches as my trucks bed, lag the frame to the wall of my garage, and be able hang my tailgate on the wall in the same fashion as its on my truck. As a bonus, I'd be able to swing it down and use it as a lite duty bench from time to time.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I lean it up against the wall, sitting the floor end on top of a piece of Styrofoam, with cardboard between tailgate and wall, spray in liner side against wall, than cover it with blankets and park something in front of it so it don't get bumped.
this is on garage side wall, not front wall where I could hit it with truck 😞

Also don't forget to put the electrical connection protectors (that came with truck) on the tailgate and bed wires you disconnected to remove tailgate.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I built an enclosure for mine, similar to Grass Valley Geode. It is pretty much protected and out of the way. My Son in law just leans his against the wall, either way I guess works

Rickj91
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a single level townhouse complex, and are lucky enough to have free parking for my camper, cargo trailer, and my canopy, on saw horses, when off the truck. I put my truck box under the canopy with the tailgate on top of it. Keeps it dry and safe.
2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was having rope pulleys in my garage and even with triple pulleys hoisting 50 lb was not that easy.
That is easy way to DIY but plan good reduction system.
The gear-driven hoist with manual crank was annoying at first, but once I fitted my power driver to it, everything become a snap.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a similar setup to that wall mounted one a few months back and was foing to do something similar. The tailgate is 24" tall and the studs are spaced at approx 24" so I thought it would work well with a little carpet and a restraining bar or two. I measured again last night as I was planning that setup and tealized it wouldnt really work (at least not there).

gvgeode
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks bedrocker. When I first got the truck my back would handle lying the tailgate on the floor of the garage and, the hard part, picking it back up again. But when I saw the original post on here my back yelled woo-hoo! I back the truck into the garage and only have a few steps between the truck and the rack. Thanks again to the original poster, I wish I could give him credit by name.
2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
gvgeode that's a nice setup I use an old sleeping bag and lean against what ever 🙂

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
That platform type lift is on the order of what I was leaning towards. The bike lift would work, but the tailgate would hang vertically which would require mounting near a wall to avoid lighting issues. The horizontal look great, but jump from $10-20 up to $200+. The platforms are a better solution but a mighty big jump in price. Seems like sourcing a few pulleys, rope, eye-bolts, and a cleat would be about the same but a fraction of the price.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We have our Ram tailgate leaned up against the wall in the garage. It probably been there since 06. We have a fifth wheel tailgate that we use if and when camper comes off the truck. We put a rug over it to protect it. It fits pretty good in its little nook.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

gvgeode
Explorer
Explorer
I can't take credit for the idea as I found it on here but can't locate the original post. I slapped this together with misc 1x4 and 2x4 lumber lying around. It's at a comfortable height so I don't have to bend down after removing the tailgate from the truck. The bottom of the rack where the tailgate sits is covered in carpet and the arm is held in place at the top with a dowel. It saves floor space and lets me park the truck in the garage with the tailgate off.

2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055

Bedlam
I used to have three bike lifts in my previous garage due to lack of floor space. The only downside of these is if your load is not centered, one pulley may stay up while the other only goes down. You can create a two line pull if that worries you and put a tie down cleat on the wall. I would put the tailgate in a closed sack/pouch with loop straps and use the hook pulleys that come with the kit.

I also have a fancier Thule Multilift for a car top storage box, but it is overkill for the box or a tailgate.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo-carrier/car-top-carrier-accessories/thule-multilift-_-1689689

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD