cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Dreaded 1/2 Ton Towing Question

Ruger3739
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, not really but kind of. I currently have a 2012 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 1500. The truck is paid off and a 3/4 ton is not in the cards for me at least for the time being.

I currently pull a 1999 25ft Bunk House TT (just sold it) and it pulls and handles it fine. I will attach specs below.

Since we just sold our old TT we are looking at new ones and I'm trying to stay around the same weight but fell in love with one that's about 500lbs heavier dry. Long story short I wanted to get the experts opinions on the TV and TT's below.

I should also state that we stay pretty local and usually only travel about 100-150 miles one way. I do go to the mountains and accept that I will not win any races going up there. That being said I added a larger trany cooler and everything stays well within range.

I know it comes down to payload and all the other weight ratings.

Current TV
2012 GMC Sierra CC - 5.3 and 3.42 gears
Tow Rating 9600 lbs (I know this will never happen in the real world)
Payload - 1590
GVWR 7000, GAWR for each axel is 3950
Loaded full of fuel and the family is - 5960
I have load range E tires, p3 break controller and will be upgrading to a Blue Ox Sway Pro

OLD TT That Towed Well
1999 Komfort Bunkhouse 25 ft (28 Tongue to bumper)
UVW - 5731
GVWR - 7620
Loaded - 6640lbs with mostly everything except food, beer and clothes ( I only cat scaled it this way and never had a chance once we were fully loaded up) Guessing I was closer to 6900.

Possible New Rig - Open Range UT2802BH
UVW - 5765-actual dry weight from the sticker on the door was 6300.
GVWR - 7450
28 foot box, 31 from pin to bumper

We absolutely love this trailer and it is our #1 choice. If I add 1000 lbs to the stickered dry weight it would put me at 7300lbs or approximately 600-700 lbs heavier than what I was previously towing.

Good combo? Horrible combo? OK combo?

P.S. I know a 3/4 and 1 ton will always tow better, but apparently they make those things out of gold now and I can't afford one and as I said the truck is paid off.

Thanks in advance for your feedback
67 REPLIES 67

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
One more post and I'll let this dead horse lay.
ok, over and out.

I guess that it is over when you say that it is over. Over and out.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
One more post and I'll let this dead horse lay. I agree with you Tom that a well matched adequate tow vehicle is important for a comfortable tow experience.

If the OP were coming to me and asking, "gmw, can I tow your 33' GN horse trailer with my four quarter horses in it, with my 1500 Chevy?"

I would be the first to say, no you can't. You need a bigger truck.

But that's not the question the OP asked. He is an experienced driver towing having had an earlier trailer.
He is asking if his existing truck can be used for two specific trailers, and will he have an acceptable tow experience.

My take is that yes, very likely this can work correctly.

ok, over and out.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
...snip.....
If more is good, then even more is better, right ?

I get sarcasm and exaggeration. See it all the time on here. All I know is that "Not enough tow vehicle can be miserable". Some on these forums like to point out that "Some" half ton tow vehicles are towing huge loads. Bad advice to new people, I think. "Some" half ton models that I have owned were not comfortable towing 7,000 pound travel trailers let alone 9,000 pound fifth wheel trailers. A 7,000 gvwr pickup loaded to 6000 pounds is a lost more comfortable than one loaded to 8,000 pounds. That is my experience.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
At the risk of once again being labeled a smart-azz, I would suggest folks need to get out more. Get out on the road. Go camp. Stay in different places, keep your eyes open and talk to folks in the real world.

As a full-timer, I see a lot of tow vehicles. Most are adequate. Especially those of other full timers who have "been there, done that" with the less capable pickups. Most of us retirees on the road are not on their first or second RV. Try tenth or twelfth.

As I'm sure you'll agree, those of us who are on the road a lot, which is of course by definition, full timers, take "more stuff" and also most full timers are "couples", meaning the spouse also has needs for more stuff.

Those who have worked thru many RV's generally tend to want more amenities, which means more weight. And therefore more need for bigger truck.

I have fairly moderate needs even when on the road for five months at a time. I come from decades of traveling by motorcycle, so my mindset is rather spartan. Other folks like to take a half dozen pair of shoes per person. Etc.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
At the risk of once again being labeled a smart-azz, I would suggest folks need to get out more. Get out on the road. Go camp. Stay in different places, keep your eyes open and talk to folks in the real world.

As a full-timer, I see a lot of tow vehicles. Most are adequate. Especially those of other full timers who have "been there, done that" with the less capable pickups. Most of us retirees on the road are not on their first or second RV. Try tenth or twelfth.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Point taken. Some folks choose to pull their large travel trailer with a 2500 or 3500, even some with 3500DRW. Again, Tom, that is not the subject of this thread.
The subject is, "can we use a 1/2 ton to pull a given travel trailer, and have a good setup" ?

My point is, as demonstrated by both the numbers and real world observation and experience, yes, the OP can most likely have a good setup that will serve his families needs.

"Right tool for the job". Which is why I have three trucks that get used as both daily use and towing needs. All have been over the CAT scales numerous times. All are set up correctly. All tow my four trailers well, because all are in fact set up well and driven in a safe manner.
For example in my case, while for sure my dually would pull this 4000 pound funfinder just great, it would be the equivalent of driving a tack with a sledge hammer. My Frontier pulls it well, and has done so now for coming up on 50K miles.

"Right tool for the job"

And I'm not going to argue the point that I've "found a couple of exceptions". I see a LOT of this. I'm on the road 5 to 7 months a year in everything from state park CG's to resorts. There are many, many 1/2 ton trucks in use pulling travel trailers.

Come on down, it's gonna be 70 degrees and sunny today. We'll walk around the park here and talk to 1/2 ton owners that have some really nice TT's in their space here.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
However, speaking of fifth wheels on 1/2 tons, I have seen two here at the resort this winter. A couple was here for a month with a late model 1794 Tundra and a Open Range fifth wheel, and I have seen one guy with a F150 and a fifth wheel.

Got it. You found a couple of exceptions. Most large travel trailers and fifth wheel trailers used by Winter Texans are being towed with 2500 or higher rated tow vehicles. You do realize that the F-150 might have a payload of over 3,000 pounds. Hardly the domain of most "half ton" pickups.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
To the OP; I would ask a bunch of Internet folks who have their own prejudices and opinions as to what constitutes a great tow vehicle. Or, go to the scales and do the calculations to see where the combination stands compared to the manufacturers ratings when it comes to payload and overall capability.

Forget about the whole "1/2 ton" thing. Which do you think would make the more capable and satisfactory tow vehicle? One with a 6,400 pound gvwr/1,200 pound payload, one with a 7,000 pound gvwr/2,000 pound payload, or one with a 10,000 pound gvwr/3,000 payload rating? The yellow sticker tells you more than the emblem on the fender. Don't be fooled by our "experts" or the RV salesman.

ok, we can do this also. Would my F350 make an "adequate" tow vehicle for the OP ? Yep, most likely. For those who like "adequate payload" number, here is the good old forum standard answer: one ton dually.

If more is good, then even more is better, right ?

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
I thought, I should grab my camera and walk about and take pictures of all the F150's, Tundras, Chev and Ram 1500's that have pulled all manner of trailers here from places that are really far away.

When you say, "all manner", are you including fifth wheel trailers, or just popups and bumper pulls? The Winter Texans in the South Texas parks are mostly using 2500 and larger tow vehicles for fifth wheel and travel trailers. I use a F-150 to pull a small travel trailer. Certainly not a weight policeman. Just a guy who likes to use a adequate or more than adequate tool for the job. Just like most of the people in the parks.

Since this thread is about bumper pull style travel trailers, that is what I am focusing on.
However, speaking of fifth wheels on 1/2 tons, I have seen two here at the resort this winter. A couple was here for a month with a late model 1794 Tundra and a Open Range fifth wheel, and I have seen one guy with a F150 and a fifth wheel.

Being a snowbird park in winter, I have not seen any pop-ups here at all, no surprise there.

My original comment in the above post was referring to 1/2 ton trucks pulling many different sizes of travel trailers. That is the subject of this thread.
My travel trailer is small ( 19 ' ) and is typically one of the smallest TT's in any given park. Most folks who have travel trailers buy much larger than this. No doubt why Funfinder ( my brand ) got out of the short TT business.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP; I would ask a bunch of Internet folks who have their own prejudices and opinions as to what constitutes a great tow vehicle. Or, go to the scales and do the calculations to see where the combination stands compared to the manufacturers ratings when it comes to payload and overall capability.

Forget about the whole "1/2 ton" thing. Which do you think would make the more capable and satisfactory tow vehicle? One with a 6,400 pound gvwr/1,200 pound payload, one with a 7,000 pound gvwr/2,000 pound payload, or one with a 10,000 pound gvwr/3,000 payload rating? The yellow sticker tells you more than the emblem on the fender. Don't be fooled by our "experts" or the RV salesman.

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
You will most likely be fine with your current truck. If after a trip or two you are not comfortable you can pursue other options. A paid-off truck is a beautiful thing!

Explorer II
Explorer II
Ruger3739 wrote:
**snip**
There is another trailer I'm looking at that is lighter than my last one by 200 lbs. I just like the Open Range so much better.
**snip**
So what does a guy do? I love camping, love my current paid off truck, and love the thought of buying this trailer.
Does the same dealer have both trailers?
Make a deal with them. Buy the one you want with the agreement that you can return it within 72 hours for exchange of the lighter model if the heavier one proves to be too much for your truck. It may be a little extra prep and paperwork on their part but it's a guaranteed sale for them.

They can hold onto the paperwork for a few days before processing. If you damage it you bought it!
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
SoundGuy wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
I was chuckling under my breath here a few minutes ago as I walked with my dog around the resort here in Arizona.

I thought, I should grab my camera and walk about and take pictures of all the F150's, Tundras, Chev and Ram 1500's that have pulled all manner of trailers here from places that are really far away. Places like Washington, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Maine.

But oh my, if I posted those pics here, it would raise the collective blood pressure of the you-know-who police here.....would blow the tops of their heads off. What a mess that would be.

Hook 'em up boys, tow on out here, the weather is warm and sunny and we here in the real world welcome all sizes of trucks....even 1/2 ton rigs.

So yes, there IS a point to this post and it is that out here where the rubber meets the road, folks have some nice working combo's that some might say....uh, you can't do it with that......

Oh look, there's a guy in a red suit with a big white beard riding in a sleigh towed by reindeer. Geez, looks like fun, I think I'll do that too! Hey, why not? ... it obviously works for him so there's no reason it won't work for me! :B

Yeah, that's logical ... talk about a good chuckle! :S

And idk what the CCC is of that sleigh, but it looks Overloaded. Just because the reindeer are magic turbo diesel deer running 30lbs of boost doesn't mean the load rating of the runners on the sleigh are up to the task!
And yes, I'd say if I saw a line of a certain type of trucks doing a similar task, I'd maybe figure everyone wasn't ignorant and that there may be some merit......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
I thought, I should grab my camera and walk about and take pictures of all the F150's, Tundras, Chev and Ram 1500's that have pulled all manner of trailers here from places that are really far away.

When you say, "all manner", are you including fifth wheel trailers, or just popups and bumper pulls? The Winter Texans in the South Texas parks are mostly using 2500 and larger tow vehicles for fifth wheel and travel trailers. I use a F-150 to pull a small travel trailer. Certainly not a weight policeman. Just a guy who likes to use a adequate or more than adequate tool for the job. Just like most of the people in the parks.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naw, others getting emotional defending their position.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS