cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!

It was 42 years ago today, seems so long ago, yet still a strong memory in my head, a milestone I reached in my humble beginnings into the home renovation industry building solariums and such.

Yes, it was on this day, October ten, nineteen seventy eight when I had been only 4 years into my lifetime career when I worked my way to being able to purchase my first brand new truck!

Yup, 10-10-78 I drove off the lot of Phillips Chev - Olds in Penticton BC driving my nice shiny new 78 Chev 3/4 Ton Camper Special.

As I pulled out of the lot and turned left on to Westminster Ave and headed east towards home, I though I had lost my marbles, that I am a total idiot.

Who in their right mind would pay $7714. For a new truck. All taxes, fees, dealer prep and all the rest of the junk in came to $8,109.70 out the door...... Bob, you are out of your mind! I kept saying to myself. Financed it on the never never plan I did. How will I ever pay for it? I was barely 24 years old.

It was a great truck, I had it for 26 years and about 527,000K on the odometer when I retired it, still in decent shape.

Hmmmmm......

42 years later, my 2007 truck in sig is getting worn out. 408,800K on the clock and I am eyeing the shiny new trucks on the lot.

92 grand $$$$$$$ for something similar with a few more bells and whistles.

No, just no! That's what, about a dozen times the price I paid back then?
Gosh how can they justify that?

Wow! Just wow. Amazing how expensive pickups have become. All these fancy gizzmobops they have, someone has to pay for all that I guess..

Guess I'll just keep fixing what I have. It was $1423.77 yesterday for a water pump and a U-joint. Expensive!

Oh well, that's life! 🙂

My story of the day.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
273 REPLIES 273

specta
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:

Just a question, your rolling that heavy, why buy a regular cab, limited? To each his own I know, just seems like kind of an odd selection.

He has a 4-dr diesel with an 8" bed that he hauls his camper on or tows his TT with and doesn't want to be bothered with DEF.

That and like me, he really likes the looks of a regular cab.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
A friend of mine told me a long time ago, "its all relevant".

Another close friend had two CDs mature, he cashed the interest, just over $80,000.

He took it and ordered a new Ford F-250 Limited regular cab with the 7.3.
He wanted a run around truck and one for doing chores.

He had to pay $800,000 in income taxes for 2020.

For him, a new truck is nothing. For me, its uncomprehendable.

Just a question, your rolling that heavy, why buy a regular cab, limited? To each his own I know, just seems like kind of an odd selection.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^True story. But at the same time a pickup truck mfgs target market, or even a remote consideration, is not those in the upper half of the 1% ers.
There’s always a “more economical” way to accomplish the same task.
Some say prices ain’t coming down, ever.
I’m not certain I believe that. History shows massive inflation = economic crash = market correction.
I’m sitting here waiting for the correction, to go on a purchase spree!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine told me a long time ago, "its all relevant".

Another close friend had two CDs mature, he cashed the interest, just over $80,000.

He took it and ordered a new Ford F-250 Limited regular cab with the 7.3.
He wanted a run around truck and one for doing chores.

He had to pay $800,000 in income taxes for 2020.

For him, a new truck is nothing. For me, its uncomprehendable.
Kenny

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sad part about the $111k Jeep is that in 3 years you’ll be able to buy it used for $50k!
Yes it’s pricey, but someone’s gotta take the hit!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
You want to see pricey? Check out a fully optioned Jeep Grand Wagoneer Series 3 @$111K! With the 6.4 Hemi.

Thats a joke!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've yet to see a new Grand Wagoneer or the Wagoneer on the road to date. I will say the Wagoneer looks better than the Grand Wagoneer IMO. I would question the future electrical gremlins the Grand Wagoneer will have.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Once the prices go up on consumer products, we almost never see them go down.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have noticed more vehicles on the local lots recently and have seen good production reports from Ford and GM. Maybe we will start getting a brake on new vehicle prices soon. On the other hand, there is a huge production deficit for the last 12 months that needs to be filled.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
dodge guy wrote:
You want to see pricey? Check out a fully optioned Jeep Grand Wagoneer Series 3 @$111K! With the 6.4 Hemi.

And even at that, it sure seems like a MUCH better buy than a $94k RAV4! LOL

I reaaaaaaaly like the new Grand Wagoneers, and the new Tahoooos, but, ****.... You can't even buy an Escalade that is "that" expensive.
More power to 'em I guess...
Apparently, I'm just cheap. Could "afford" one, but couldn't stomach it. If there's ever a 6 figure car sitting in my garage, it sure ain't going to be a daily driver soccermobile. It better be Italian and have 800hp or it better be from Chevrolet in 1970 and have LS6 on the build sheet and under the hood!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
And who has the dough to pay $100k for new wheels? Those that have...and who is the targeted market? Baby boomers, et al.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not only are the prices outrageous, when you see one on the lot and call about it. You get a human/robot stating "OH, we just sold that one an hour ago." Then, when you go to RMV and plug in the VIN, you see it was sold three weeks ago and already registered to a new owner. BUT, it's still advertised on the website as available and for sale.

I know everyone is still recovering or rebooting from all the craziness over the last eighteen months or so, but that's no excuse for flat out lying.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:

That’s scary.:R

specta
Explorer
Explorer
A new Lance 1172 camper, $80,000. Add that to a new Limited F-350 dualie diesel.
Kenny