cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Unicorn has almost landed!!

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly been posting over on the f150gen14 forums lately, but thought I'd share my good news. My 2021 F-150 HDPP has now been built and in transit, set for an Apr/26 delivery. The fancy new Ford VIN/Payload site confirms my yellow sticker will be 2536 lbs, about 30lbs over what I thought based on the order guide. We'll see if that holds true.

Might be a bit tight to do the break in and get it all setup for my first trip in May. It will be painful to use the old truck, but that's life.
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb
21 REPLIES 21

blt2ski
Add me to the list. Never saw a need for the LR E 265-75-16 tires on my SW 3500s. They carried every bit as much just fine at normal 50-60 psi as the D rated did.
I've run down the road at 7-8000 lbs on a SW Ra with 6000-6500 lb paired tired. Haven't blown any up yet! Altho I have had some michiblows get separated plus.....not buying them any more.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
Yep had the axle weights flipped.

Re: the LRC tires, I believe they would be fine too. It's really a personal decision (as tires always are). I like the added stiffness of the 10-ply and tire performance...it's not about load rating. I have always found OEM tires to be crappy performance wise (rain, snow etc.). On a car you can just run them out and put good tires on, but towing with the family, I like the comfort of knowing what I have.

I now have an image of Grit Dog beating the **** out of work trucks. I may know a few people like that!
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb

blt2ski
LR c would be fine on that truck. Your going to have 2500-3000 lbs capacity per tire. Ask yourself, are you really going to put 8000 lbs per axle on your truck?
My new to me used chebby has 265-65-18s in 8.5" rims. Really needs 285s on that width. But ALL the 285-60 or 65 series ties are 10 ply. No XL or 6 ply options. Not sure I want an extra 15 lbs per corner to turn burning up HP either. Can fin 275s in XL or c ratings....may have to go that route.
At this point in time, I need to burn these GY GSA pos tires up asap. They spin on ANY wet pavement. We have plenty of that here in WA.

Nice truck too.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
a-d-s wrote:
Went for a drive tonight and hit some scales. It comes in at 5368 lbs (3146 lbs RA, 2222 lbs FA), so that leaves 2482 lbs for payload. Seems about right as the LRE tires are about 15 lbs heavier a corner. This was with a full load of gas and a few odds and ends in the truck.

I think you meant the RA is 2222lbs.
Yes, it looked like "nice" tires on the truck, so makes sense and good call IMO. I didn't pick up on it initially, because different models actually come with aggressive tires right off the line, unlike I recall in the olden days.

But (not that I endorse it for others) FWIW, I've run countless new 1/2 tons in construction work, starting out with whatever the cheapest C load tires they put on that year. I've basically tried to pop them (hard to get your boss or equip dept to spring for new tires on a new truck...lol). Can't think of a half ton, save for my newest company truck (because I'm a desk jockey mostly now) that I haven't at some point put 50-60psi in the rear tires that were generally 44psi rated or similar, and used them like that repeatedly, hauling heavy payload or trailers. They've always come out unscathed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
Went for a drive tonight and hit some scales. It comes in at 5368 lbs (3146 lbs RA, 2222 lbs FA), so that leaves 2482 lbs for payload. Seems about right as the LRE tires are about 15 lbs heavier a corner. This was with a full load of gas and a few odds and ends in the truck.
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ Nice rig! Congrats!
But shame on Ford for using literally the schittiest, lowest load rated tires humanly possible, especially on a HDPP truck!

They literally shoed it with tires that will be right at max load +/-, at the stated payload spec. (Unless that sticker is wrong and it gots better tires than the sticker says)

Haha, you prob can't see in the pic, but I had the dealer swap them with Falken Wildpeak AT3W Load Range E tires. I was really happy with them on my old truck and I didn't want to mess around with LRC tires. They look way better too!

Anyone in the Vancouver area want to buy those OEM tires, they are on craigslist - they come free with Grit Dog's seal of approval!
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Nice rig! Congrats!
But shame on Ford for using literally the schittiest, lowest load rated tires humanly possible, especially on a HDPP truck!

They literally shoed it with tires that will be right at max load +/-, at the stated payload spec. (Unless that sticker is wrong and it gots better tires than the sticker says)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
a-d-s wrote:
Well it's in! Payload is as expected. With only a few hundred miles on it, I can say it has exceeded my expectations. Maybe that is on account of reading way too many forums on all the little obscure issues some people have. Or maybe it's because I am coming from a 2008 2500...the ride in this is soooo much better. The power is ridiculous, even though I haven't really goosed it yet, still in the break in period. First tow in just over a month from now!

Fantastic colour. Beautiful. Congrats. Looks like a great truck.

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
Well it's in! Payload is as expected. With only a few hundred miles on it, I can say it has exceeded my expectations. Maybe that is on account of reading way too many forums on all the little obscure issues some people have. Or maybe it's because I am coming from a 2008 2500...the ride in this is soooo much better. The power is ridiculous, even though I haven't really goosed it yet, still in the break in period. First tow in just over a month from now!

2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
That's good news!
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb

Gene_K_2
Explorer
Explorer
a-d-s wrote:
Mostly been posting over on the f150gen14 forums lately, but thought I'd share my good news. My 2021 F-150 HDPP has now been built and in transit, set for an Apr/26 delivery. The fancy new Ford VIN/Payload site confirms my yellow sticker will be 2536 lbs, about 30lbs over what I thought based on the order guide. We'll see if that holds true.

Might be a bit tight to do the break in and get it all setup for my first trip in May. It will be painful to use the old truck, but that's life.

I have been unable to find a truck who's yellow sticker payload doesn't match the VIN Specific Calculator. It appears highly unlikely that yours will not match.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Opps , that was just the super duties.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure, didn't ford have a recall because of bad stickers?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thatโ€™s almost exactly what my 2013 HDPP has. 2,592 #
RVing since 1995.