cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things to NOT Leave in Your Trailer for Winter Storage.

Baja937
Explorer
Explorer
What things other than food do you not leave in your trailer during winter storage?
46 REPLIES 46

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Nvr2loud wrote:

PS: I'm in Huntsville, and I have a friend in Vars just East of you.

Oh yes then you know all about the cold temps lately :B

I'm surprised that you had your TV freeze, I've always left mine in every winter and never had a problem, but I have read they aren't supposed to be stored at that low of a temperature. The one that you had at the cottage, did you try to plug it in while it was really cold, I suspect that would do damage to them...
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

audio1der
Explorer
Explorer
The one-way valve for the black tank flush line. I just unscrew it and leave it in the bath. sink (right above where it gets installed)

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
kodiakcanuck wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Some remove their flat screen TV's if they live where it freezes.

I don't and never had an issue with them. Went down to -23F last night :B

Same temp over here on our side of the park last night (-31 C) and I had icicles hanging from my eye lashes.

PS: I'm in Huntsville, and I have a friend in Vars just East of you.

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:

I don't and never had an issue with them. Went down to -23F last night :B
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
I've never heard of TVs freezing. It will get down below zero here tonight.

I didn't think it could happen either, until my cheapo TV did that. The 50" at the cottage was not cheap, reading the instructions later (looking for warranty coverage) it stated that it could not be stored below 5 degrees C

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of TVs freezing. It will get down below zero here tonight.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

cblackard
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine on shore power with a small space heater (thermostat driven) going all winter. Keeps the TT at a modest 55-60 degrees as well as stable humidity levels. I am usually in and out of it a few times a week to make sure all is in check.

I only take out foods that spoil or expire or do not have a heavily sealed container. Bedding and bath towels are cleaned and replaced. TVs, Sat receiver & other electronics stay in. I keep a small supply of bottled water and a couple of soft drinks in the frig (running on shore power) for my visits to the TT.

During warmer, sunny days I try to open up the awning for a few hours to keep it from molding and to dry it out. I keep a little bit of non-damaging lubricant on the toilet seal to cut out any odors. (even though the black tank was emptied and washed out)
Christopher Blackard

jbrowning
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, never thought about removing toothpaste. Good thing I'm going by to see the trailer this afternoon. I will be seeing what I have missed and see if I see signs of little critters running around.

Jim
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 Ltr Extended Cab 4x4
1971 21ft Terry Travel Trailer

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
bob213 wrote:

And those people would be wasting their time. This is SO not necessary!

Mine froze so badly last winter that it was completely destroyed. Same thing happened at the cottage with a 50 inch LED TV. Now we don't leave a TV in the trailer or the cottage during the freeze.

BTW, it was 8 degrees here this morning and heading downward overnight and this is just the beginning of January, typically it gets much colder towards the end of the month.

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
Bull Rider wrote:
We left a Nespresso latte machine in the RV last year. Never gave it a thought. Went to use it in the spring and the pump had frozen and split in two. There went two hundred buck.

Good point! I kept a cheap Mr. Coffee coffee maker in the TT one winter and it must have froze and cracked a line inside because when we went to use it in the spring it was more like a lawn sprinkler than a coffee maker :B We now use a Keurig so I make sure I bring it in every winter.
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I learned was to take out the smoke detector batteries. My camper is winterized, (slide in, batteries out, covered) parked out front. One year the smoke alarm in the bunk area, blocked by the slide being in, started chirping for a low battery. I had to ask my really skinny 12 year old daughter to go in and get it. Now I pull those before closing up and covering for the winter.

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
whiteeye42 wrote:
.....check all cabinets but i leave all bedding clothes TV's radios and things like that i never could understand why anybody would take all the bedding and clothes out

IMHO no matter how well you winterize your MH, after sitting for months the bedding has that "left in the MH over the winter not so fresh odor".

I want my linens to be crispy clean so I take them out and wash them so they are ready to go come spring.

this is fine but how do you keep them crispy clean and fresh smelling all winter in the house still going to get the in the house smell from just sitting would it not be easier to leave them in the trailer or motorhome over the winter and then take them out and wash them in the spring and put right back in the the trailer/motorhome
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
PacNWChris wrote:
whiteeye42 wrote:
... i tried to wash the baking dick but i never could get the smell out of it ...

LOL

I love me some typos. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I am a teacher and I do all my best editing AFTER I've run off all my copies. That's when I catch *MY* typos.

This one is amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚
to fast fingers and not enough brain power but i fixed the typo sorry guys
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you take out the BBQ....all that cooked fat could attract critters
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT