Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about selling our TT..

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah...

Thinking about posting our TT up for sale.
We have kind of lost our steam you could say..

First time camper owners the middle of this past summer.
First camper, we owned it for about 3 months before selling it.
Bought a 97 i think, jayco designer. 30 footer, bumper pull.
Bought from the original owners.. Its in pristine condition for the most part.
This thing is everything we wanted minus about 7ft in length.

We have 3 dogs, we gave up our permanent/seasonal spot.
So now the trailer is winterized/parked in my Dad's backyard.

I just dont think we are going to get to use it much this coming up year.
With 3 dogs, it'll be a hassle. Loading up and towing it someplace for the weekend or a night.

We've tossed around the idea of getting another seasonal spot and
parking it, but im not sure...

Im just loosing interest altogether.

We're young, im 26, she's 29..We have many years ahead of us to
find another camper of our dreams.

Anyone else ever felt the same way during "off season"?
30 REPLIES 30

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I looked into a seasonal or even a lake house. We have had a boat for a number of years that we keep at the lake so a lake house would have made sense. But I find my house is a lot to keep up with at times, not to mention another complete house. We just purchased our first rv, but have been using my in-laws for years. I don't get discouraged in the winter, I use it for planning. We have planned 2 trips for next year already. With that being said, if your hearts not in camping sell the rv. Otherwise you will find you never use it and when you do it will be noting but a hassle. I consider recreational ring, work with a side of relaxation.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV camping isn't for everybody. My friends don't camp, their idea of travel is a resort or high end motel in a large city. Just not my cup of tea. For me the journey is as much fun as the destination. If you don't enjoy it I would not force it.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we were lucky, the DW and I joined our daughter and son-in-law wilderness canoe camping. Our grandkids were in the boat before their first birthdays. They never tried of the out of doors

Twenty years later they still canoe, backpack and fish.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a nice but old 95 Layton TT... Had a Dually pick up....

Way too much truck for our lifestyle.... I WANTED to downsize so I sold the truck and the camper....huge huge mistake.

We now have a PUP and Minivan and despite my best intentions the PUP is not a good fit for us.

First storm in the PUP and my DW was like... I'm not comfortable. That's the end of it.

We spent hundreds of nights in our TT... About six in the PUP and she is done.

Soon...it will be for sale and I will be looking for a 3/4 ton short bed CC or Excursion and another TT...

Can't take the boys bikes with us... Can't take a lot of the essentials because there is simply no room in the pup or in the Minivan...

The pup is great but it's not for us. We will be back in a TT by next spring or so....I hope.. Lol.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Nope! My first TT was a 1967 boles Aero. WE have an Arctic Fox now and love it. Pulled it 13000 miles every year for the past 4. Went from Va to Co-OK-Va on one trip lasting 21 days. It was great fun. Even drove 70 miles in Ok and only met 1 truck and 1 car. Next year its Va to La,
Va to Ok, and Va to Fl. Tha will be about 700o miles.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have 3 dogs, a 3 year old and a one year old boy (1 year old TODAY!!!) and we can't wait to camp. We are leaving in less than 2 months for a 16 day trip to Florida. We have a couple of trips planned for next summer... to the lake, to the beach, to the mountains. We might go to an amusement park next year too. Might go to Niagara Falls or NYC next year too. That's not even including quick weekend trips up to some beautiful state parks within 2 hours drive.

One of the things that we enjoy is having a group of friends who camp as well. My in-laws camp (started because of us), some co-workers camp, some friends camp. We have a lot of fun, kick back and relax camping.

But its not for everybody. If you never really got into it, than why waste time and money maintaining a camper you don't want? Maybe in a couple years as your lives change you might want to get back into it. No sense forcing yourselves to try to enjoy something if you don't enjoy it.

Good luck in your decision, whatever it may be.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer
You guys have the best advice, i swear. lol

Thank you everyone who has chimed in.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
With 3 dogs, it'll be a hassle. Loading up and towing it someplace for the weekend or a night.

I'm betting you don't have a kennel built for the dogs. It always surprises me that anyone would own a dog that doesn't have a kennel. Small lap dogs living in apts. are exempt.

My Daughter does pet sitting for a few folks. I just shake my head because they spend big money for her services. A nice kennel with a dog house would take care of their needs and the dog's needs for a lot less expense.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
It's not for everyone. I've been through stages of buying and selling campers, but I keep coming back 🙂 .

If your not into it now, sell, you can always get another one later. For me, I always feel sad when I sell and see my tt going down the road with its new owner. I think from the time I sell one, I already start wanting another one.

I've been camping since I was 6yrs old and I love it. My boys are 8 and 11 and really enjoy going camping. It's also great family time. It forces you to unplug and get out and enjoy nature. This year I took my summer vacation and we went camping. It was the most relaxing vacation of my life to date. I'm trying to pass the tradition of camping to my boys so they will want to take their families camping some day.

I'm very anal with my rig, so it's a lot of upkeep and work but it's worth it to me. But again it's not for everyone. My wife told me last week she misses camping since we had to winterize and she's ready to go again. That was music to my ears! Her family growing up were not campers so I'm glad she's getting into it too.

Good luck in your decision
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
We camped when in our 20's. Then we had kids. Camping worked until the kids hit their teenage years. They didn't want to camp anymore. We bought a cabin and that worked for a while. Then the kids wanted to stay home and not go to the cabin. After the neighbors gave us a call and complained, we realized they wanted to party. We started to stay home or mix up our schedule to throw them off.
When they were old enough to move out, we sold the house and moved to the cabin. We realized that we missed camping and bought a trailer and are loving it. I've scheduled camping trips for next year through mid September. Oh ya and our kids, want to go with us now, but work and their kids often prevents that.
So the reason for this big history of our lives, you have to make changes based on what's happening right now in your life. One day you will see people sitting around a campfire having a good time and you will say, "I miss that". Next thing you now, you will be shopping for RV's.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
.....snip....

You are young and probably limited in your available vacation time so the RV pace may not fit your needs. Our days of 15 hour drives to the vacation destinations are long behind us.

You know what the RV life is about, there is no reason not to try other outlets. There are plenty of cabins, cruise ships, bus tours, resorts or a simple tent. .....snip....

....and here, I think rbpru really hit the nail on the head. Back in my young days of working for a living, it was important to me to make the most of my vacation time. Once I retired, I swore off of flying anywhere for vacation, and can take my time with the trailer in tow.
RV'ing is a whole different mindset for me.

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
You know what's best for you! When I was in my research phase, a very long time, I would visit campgrounds and walk around. The moment I set foot in one I felt very relaxed and peaceful. I can't explain it, but I knew this was going to be a good thing for me. Then of course had to convince the DW. Now both of us love the traveling, the campgrounds, I really enjoy the puttering around with the RV (even while I hate puttering around for other things, gardening for one).

RV'ing may not be yours, that's OK, I hope you find what yours is, though, because before I found mine I was having a hard time relaxing. Getting a bit older with bad knees from years of playing basketball and soccer (the real football :)) I hadn't found anything to take the place of those sports for relaxation and stress relief. Now I have and it is really nice!!
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

shfd739
Explorer
Explorer
We're at the same place but it's due to be tired and over our pop up and it's time to move onto a travel trailer. We love getting out and once setup we enjoy the heck out of it but the pup set up, take down and lack of space is getting old.

I'll prob sell the pup in the spring even though we won't be ready to buy the travel trailer until late summer. I'm just beyond over the pup.
'17 Shadow Cruiser 240BHS
'08 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
‘07 NBS Silverado 2500 Dmax

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
We are weekend warriors. 3 kids, 1 dog, and our TT sits at a storage facility when we aren't using it. Of course, in FL, we can use it pretty much any time we want - there's no "off season" here. However, the kids play sports on Saturdays for a decent part of the year, we have the dog - which complicates things, and I'm sure there's more justifications I could find to not go camping and sell everything. But that's just it - we value the time away from the house, the friends we have made, and feeling like we have all these short mini-vacations that we find ways and excuses to GO.

However, if we were always at the same spot, that might get a bit old after a while - unless you *really* liked that spot. We can be in a State Park one trip - on the water, in the woods - or we can be at a "glamour camping" resort the next - poolside with a drink - or some variety of the above - all depending on what we feel like doing that trip. Maybe that's what you need - some variety. And now, with a brand new TT, some of the improvements over the old one make it much less of a "burden". For example, I still am amazed how much less time is spent deploying the awning now that we have a power awning versus a manual. It used to be a minor ordeal of 10 steps and making sure that no one came out while it was being done - and retracting sometimes didn't work right away, etc, etc.. Now one button and done in 10 seconds. Ahhhhh... That much quicker to the fun times, and that translates directly into more willingness to hook up and go.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M