cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of buying new hybrid what are your thoughts?

Camper214
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone new here and me and the wife are thinking of buying a new hybrid travel trailer and have some questions.First of all we had a coachman Clipper we purchased last year a 17bh.To make a long story short it got totaled when we got rear ended.So we would like to purchase another trailer but keep in the same size but roomier inside.So we are looking at hybrids now and was wondering if there were any draw backs beside the beds being canvass and with the the extra doors being on the front and back?I know the kids arenโ€™t to happy with not having dedicated beds because they both want one of the beds that folds out.lol.But they are a lot more roomier inside the a small bh.Also when the kids get older and if we ever decided to sell would a hybrid be more desirable then a bh?
25 REPLIES 25

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two advantages come quickly to mind. 1) Fairly large amount of space in a relatively small trailer, 2) the trailer is lighter and can be pulled by a smaller TV. Two disadvantages also come quickly to mind. 1) If the tent ends are wet when you pack up, you have to fold them out again when you get home so they can dry out. 2) Sleeping in tent ends, if the temperatures are in the 40's at night, it may not be toasty warm when you are sleeping.

Camper214 wrote:
Hi everyone new here and me and the wife are thinking of buying a new hybrid travel trailer and have some questions.First of all we had a coachman Clipper we purchased last year a 17bh.To make a long story short it got totaled when we got rear ended.So we would like to purchase another trailer but keep in the same size but roomier inside.So we are looking at hybrids now and was wondering if there were any draw backs beside the beds being canvass and with the the extra doors being on the front and back?I know the kids arenโ€™t to happy with not having dedicated beds because they both want one of the beds that folds out.lol.But they are a lot more roomier inside the a small bh.Also when the kids get older and if we ever decided to sell would a hybrid be more desirable then a bh?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Given the HVAC equipment available today, I am seeing PUP with AC and furnaces. I do not think temperature is a issue in a hybrid.

I can tell you from experience that without electricity my TT is like an easy bake oven.

The one issue I have with PUPs is, when sleeping in cold weather we needed blankets underneath us, because the open ends allow cold to enter from underneath you. Obviously not an issue in fair weather.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œand hotter and colder than a trailerโ€
โ€œbest in favorable weatherโ€œ
โ€œThey can take on some water when folded upโ€

These would cause me to say โ€œno.โ€
I have to agree. When new TT shopping a few summers ago, we were going into various units, and it was hot inside them. I had my sights set on a hybrid, but when going into them - it was a lot hotter.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
We have had two hybrids, a Starcraft and then a bought new Roo 23SS.
There were zero issues with water leaks, however since eventually all campers will leak if not maintained, one could say that with a hybrid you will at least see it when it happens.

Our Roo 23SS was 30" with the bunks opened up. We only sold it because our kids grew up and a family offered us 70% of what we paid 6 years later.

Owning a hybrid is all about preference. You don't move up to a travel trailer or down to a pop up; it is more like moving over to it. There are RVs made for camping and others made for vacations, ie a pop vs a MH.
To say that Hybrid are junk reveals a limited knowledge and experience with them. I could say all Class Bs are garbage and it would be based on the only one I ever owned.
Bump this into the Hybrid section and you should get more accurate and personable responses.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have limited space in your driveway for parking your trailer, a hybrid can give you more sleeping capacity per linear foot than a trailer can. (We measured this out when we were shopping trailers.) We decided to go with a hard sided TT because we really like camping in bad weather -- we live where it is warm and sunny all the time, so rain and snow and cold are a big plus for us.

I have never camped in a hybrid, but I can tell you that a well insulated TT (with thick foam in the walls and ceiling) screens out a lot of noise. But so do earplugs! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Our first TT was not well insulated and was much noisier than our current one.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Don't buy a hybrid unless you want to sleep under canvas. There are people happy with hybrids and others happy not to have to deal with them.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
What do you have for a tow vehicle? If you're looking for more floor space and have the capability to pull it, there are bunkhouses in the 25' range with slides, that have more floor space than a hybrid, while still being small enough to fit into most campsites.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If you do not understand the attraction of a thin cloth wall between you and the out of doors. Then the merits of a tent, PUP and to some extent hybrids are lost on you.

That does not mean it is lost on others.

I have a tent a PUP and a TT, each was it use and place. A lot depend on the family and how they view camping. My grandkids have not slept in the PUP or TT since they were old enough to pitch their own tent.

As for the OPs question, you get more room for less weight and some models are useable with the ends fold up, if you do not need the room. Also the TV can be a factor.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ViewOfAKindArt_
Explorer
Explorer
Hybrids tend to be lighter so better when towing and seem a pretty open feel when all set up, a few experiences with them, was theft, a simple pull down of the expandable and slit the canvas, entry was gained, one winter in storage. Or I have heard that they are not recommended in bear country. Yet they do seem to hold their value somewhat better than most small hard shells, good luck.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
What you'll find visiting boards is most naysayers never have owned one and the ones that did owned one for one season or less.

SoundGuy wrote:
Hmmmm, see a pattern here? Many if not most hybrid owners move on sooner rather than later to some other form of hard side trailer for one simply reason - hybrids suck. :W Put it another way - you can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it's still a pig. ๐Ÿ˜›

Ralph Cramden wrote:
The pattern I see is your constant habit of contradicting whatever I post.

SoundGuy wrote:
hybrids suck.

Ralph Cramden wrote:
As do you! :W :B

I could care less about contradicting anyone ... in this case the OP asked about hybrids, everyone has their own take on them, and having owned one myself my opinion which I am entitled to have is that hybrids suck. Read what has actually been written and you'll see I wasn't the first to have this same opinion that hybrids aren't what they're cracked up to be. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Don't flatter yourself, this has nothing to do with you, 'though you might want to brush up on your laughable attempts to insult. :W

LOL......I sure did flatter myself, and had a good laugh while I was typing it. I almost pissed my pants actually.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am with Ralph. Used our PU for 17 years and we loved it. Our 2 daughters grew up camping in the woods. When they went off to college we got a Starcraft 21SSO and loved that too
Hot, cold and noise complaints are a smoke screen as I see things. I have an Airstream and even that is not all that quiet. Park this tin can in the sun and it is hotter than our hybrid was.
If you camp in your trailer hybrids are great. If you travel with your trailer it becomes a bit of a problem.
We were nearing retirement and we wanted to take some long extended trips. Setting up and closing down each day got a little old especially after 4 days in a row. Throw in the possibility of rain on top of that and we decided to get a TT. We are older now and our style has changed. The TT fits us better now.
Your decision should be based on how you and your family like to camp. Do what is best for you and donโ€™t fall to all the negativism out there. It is all good.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do have a hybrid forum here.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
What you'll find visiting boards is most naysayers never have owned one and the ones that did owned one for one season or less.

SoundGuy wrote:
Hmmmm, see a pattern here? Many if not most hybrid owners move on sooner rather than later to some other form of hard side trailer for one simply reason - hybrids suck. :W Put it another way - you can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it's still a pig. ๐Ÿ˜›

Ralph Cramden wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:
hybrids suck.

Ralph Cramden wrote:

I could care less about contradicting anyone ... in this case the OP asked about hybrids, everyone has their own take on them, and having owned one myself my opinion which I am entitled to have is that hybrids suck. Read what has actually been written and you'll see I wasn't the first to have this same opinion that hybrids aren't what they're cracked up to be. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Don't flatter yourself, this has nothing to do with you, 'though you might want to brush up on your laughable attempts to insult. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:
hybrids suck.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?