Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts/Advice/Opinion Needed

CTEdwards
Explorer
Explorer
New Keystone Bullet TT. Under Warranty.
Three trips out thus far camping. (3-4 day stints)

Hex shower leaking around base pan, outside shower barely dribbles due to severe kink in hose coming off connector, black tank flush kit leaking under covered belly (or a leaking water line in belly), concerns over fiberglass possibly separating on rear of TT.

Brand spanking new camper. This is our third RV. Guess they just don't make em like they used to. Geez.

I refuse to take it to CW for warranty work due to the local ones terrible reviews and ones on the www. Contacted Keystone for authorized dealers for warranty work. Another one of their dealers has just as bad reviews as CW does. I mean BAD. So on to no.3. It turns out to be a used car/trailer/rv dealer. Cannot find any reviews on the svc department. Of course a phone call to them receives a sure..bring it on in..we can work on it.

Here is the dilemma........my wife and I are at a strong disagreement on this. I refuse to go drop it off for a 3-4 month wait and get sorry results. I have a svc tech at a repair shop 10 mins from my house who has always handled our RV work. He does jam up and jelly tight rv svc work. I want to just go drop it off there and pay out of my pocket. At least I know what I will be getting. Course, I can get the caulk gun out and go to caulking the heck out of the shower. Unbolt the belly cover and go to looking for a water leak. I'm just so ticked about issues on a brand new unit.

What am I missing. I can't see straight.
I do have GS ext warranty, but I would be lead to believe I can't possibly use it at my local tech until the one year manufacture warranty is up.
15 REPLIES 15

CTEdwards
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Cecilt.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Outback and refused to take it to CW for warranty work. I bought mine out of town so taking it to my selling dealer was not an option either. I have an independent shop that contacted Keystone and Keystone agreed to have him do the work. I paid up front but was reimbursed from Keystone a few weeks later. Just make sure the independent will accept the hourly rate keystone will pay or you will be out of pocket the difference.

Also, if you are referring to the rear wall of the camper that is normal. The rear wall on Keystone's "float". It seems odd and I don't like it when I wash it, as I also feel it is not secure but this is 100% normal. Good luck.

GaryLee4
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Keystone Cougar three months ago from CW and have had a couple problems with two led interior lights. Called CW and talked to the service rep. and have had great service. Took about three days to get the lights in and left the trailer two days and it was ready to go. The hot water heater would not work on electric on our second camping trip so I called again and left it for one day and the rep. called and said they had repaired the water heater and I picked it up the next day. I'm sorry you haven't had good service, but not all shops are that way.

CTEdwards
Explorer
Explorer
jam up and jelly tight....off the chain...

It's a southern thing, I guess. Slang for something that is great!!

Thanks for all the input. My biggest issue for me is time constraints. Out of bed in the dark and back home at dark.

I've found out how Keystone works their warranty, apparently. Dealer has to investigate issues and submit work to Keystone who then reviews. I feel that there is "one" delay. They apparently do not get in any hurry to approve work. All they indicated to me was that if I use an unauthorized dealer, they would have to review work to see if I "might" get reimbursed. They were not going to just approve my local shop. I think I'm going to see if I can get time to seal shower panels and pop belly cover off to find that other leak. If I can't make the time, then.....

Rburkes
Explorer
Explorer
I now own Coachmen #5 and have never had 1 issue requiring warranty work. There has been a few small issues. I have taken care of them myself.
Been camping off and on for 35 years.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
jam up and jelly tight.... :h

I agree with Westend. Check and see if your local rv guy can get authorization from mfg.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
Get the manufacturer to approve the guy you trust, or do it yourself.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible that your trusted service guy can get factory authorization for some of the repair work? That might save you a few bucks. Even if not possible, judging by the stories on this Forum, the dealer would be my last option in most cases. A repair process that takes longer than one week is only discovering a problem in the shop's scheduling/manpower. I know that a dealer will have to wait for parts but that doesn't mean your trailer has to sit in his lot while waiting.

FWIW, I married a Blacksmith/Mechanic's Daughter and I still need to keep her out of the repair loop on occasion. Sometimes, one head is better than two.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
The separating fiberglass would be my biggest concern. That's seems like it would be a major repair, and one that would concern me for issues in the future.

The others I would do myself or have done locally, it seems it would be easier and quicker than hauling to a dealer, which for me is an hour away.

I just had mine at the dealer to have a window replaced under warranty, and they left the old caulk on the camper. I mentioned it to them, and he came out with a metal puddy knife. When I saw that, I looked at my watch, and told him we had to get home and I'd clean it myself. I really didn't want the paint all scraped up.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
2DHoop wrote:
Absorbing the cost will only hurt once, but your peace of mind will repay you every time you go out and enjoy your new rig....

Nailed it ! :B

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Our Outback had one problem when we purchased it. The drain in the shower was actually higher than the bottom of the rest of the pan. And water doesn't run up hill. I could look under the shower pan, and it was all set it stone (almost). Black plastic pipe cemented into place.

I did take it back to the dealer and under warranty they set the P-trap under the shower correct. BUT! Didn't tighten it right, so, following trip was no over Christmas to Florida and, yup! Shower leaked. Fortuntely, I just let it leak on the ground until we got back. Took it in again and they had to removed everything again tighten everything up. But the second time they got it right. It's been 3 years now and not a hint of trouble with my Outback (also by Keystone). Although we did have the front cap repainted.

What I'm getting at, unfortunately, getting a camper right out of the box is going to have some problems somewhere. Sounds none of your problems are major, just little things, like most are. You CAN fix it yourself or wait your turn in line for the next available slot at the dealer.

Personally, I prefer to fix it myself, warranty or not, unless it's really something over my head (like painting the front cap or pulling the entire shower). We did have 1 screw missing on a cabinet door I replaced myself.

So, really, it's all a matter of what you really want to do. If you want to take the time to fight city hall and have your camper out of commissions (sort of say) for a while, then fight for warranty repair. If you want to use the camper right now, get out the screw driver and fix it yourself and get on with life and camping.

In my opinion, if I have the ability, time, talent, tools, and resources to fix it myself, I will. If it's something over my head, then I take it to a shop, warranty or not.

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
Absorbing the cost will only hurt once, but your peace of mind will repay you every time you go out and enjoy your new rig....
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
I can sympathize with your wife getting irritated.

Keystone skates on warranty work.
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Tyler. If the cost is not enormous, I'd bite the bullet and pay for it especially when you have a good relationship with a tech that you trust. Doing that will also cement that relationship even more. He sounds like the type of guy you could count on in an emergency. He's the one you will probably turn to when the warranty runs out anyway. My wife gets irritated when I just fix stuff myself that fails on our new Winne but it's sure easier on my blood pressure.