cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tiedowns ect

cubbear
Explorer
Explorer
have a new F 350 ford dually will be installing new AF 990 what should I use for camper mounts tiedowns ect should I put rubber mat in bed?
16 REPLIES 16

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I also don't have to remove the fastguns to refuel. I was using chains and turnbuckles but found a set of fastguns used locally for a good price and they are pretty nice.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
homefor2 wrote:
The truck in my signature does not require releasing the Fastguns to open the fuel door. It touches the door but no problem fuelling like that.

X2
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
The truck in my signature does not require releasing the Fastguns to open the fuel door. It touches the door but no problem fuelling like that.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my previous truck/camper combo from original owner that had installed happijacs and turnbuckles and rear were tied to bumper buttons. The bumper was bent upwards on ends and the camper seemed to shift and move. I replaced the front set up with torklift tie downs and fast guns. One drive made a believer out of me. I purchased a new truck this summer and after finding my current camper, I bit the bullet and bought the torklift talon and fastguns and a dz rubbermat.The set up is awesome. I do have to unfasten the driver front side to fuel but it is quick to disconnect the fastgun and reconnect.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
One thing to check when deciding on a fast gun style or a simple turnbuckle. Can you open the fuel door with the TC and the tie down tight. If it opens get what you want. If you have to loosen it to open the fuel door, fast gun style is the only way to fly. On my F350 I have to pull the pin and slack the fastgun to open the fuel door. No way, no how I am messing with a turnbuckle every time.

We just completed a trip with another Ford hauling a TC and I was able to compare my short bed alongside their long bed. The fuel filler is farther back and closer to the rear wheel well on the short beds which allow it to clear the tie downs without any interference. The long beds place the filler closer to the cab right in line with most tie downs which makes access impossible without removing one end of the tie down. I always heard about people complaining about this yet never had the problem - Now I see how easy I have it compared others. I see no functional reason for the filler door shift between beds other than aesthetics or styling but the short bed tanks are smaller...

On my Dodge longbed, I just have to turn the buckle a half dozen times to make some slack in the chain. My wife is usually not even out of the truck on her way to the restroom by the time the gas is flowing.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Bedlam
Buzzcut1 wrote:
One thing to check when deciding on a fast gun style or a simple turnbuckle. Can you open the fuel door with the TC and the tie down tight. If it opens get what you want. If you have to loosen it to open the fuel door, fast gun style is the only way to fly. On my F350 I have to pull the pin and slack the fastgun to open the fuel door. No way, no how I am messing with a turnbuckle every time.

We just completed a trip with another Ford hauling a TC and I was able to compare my short bed alongside their long bed. The fuel filler is farther back and closer to the rear wheel well on the short beds which allow it to clear the tie downs without any interference. The long beds place the filler closer to the cab right in line with most tie downs which makes access impossible without removing one end of the tie down. I always heard about people complaining about this yet never had the problem - Now I see how easy I have it compared others. I see no functional reason for the filler door shift between beds other than aesthetics or styling but the short bed tanks are smaller...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Dewclaw
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Torklift frame mounted tiedowns with Torklift spring loaded turnbuckles and they work well. I had Happijac bed mounted tiedowns and Happijac spring loaded turnbuckles previously on my F250, and liked those a lot better than the Torklift. But, I did not think that the sheet metal on the new GMC would hold up with Happijacs.

The Torklifts offer a chance to snag something like a log on narrow dirt roads, so one must be aware of that. Not an issue with bed mounted tiedowns if the truck will tolerate them.

Torklifts are probably stronger, but I traveled many a primitive road and forded a number of creeks with the Happijacs with no issues or damage to the truck.

Yes, rubber bed mat. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic SE
2007 GMC 2500HD

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
wsdepa wrote:
I use the turnbuckle on rods and they are simple and work just fine. I do not really see paying the extra $$ for the fast guns. It only takes a few minutes to install and adjust the turnbuckles.

I'm with you on the extra money vs. time thing. In my particular case, I have the torklift mounts that are spring loaded so I already have the give supplied in a fastgun. Additionally, I use a 3/4" rubber stall mat which also provides some give beyond the anti slip features. If someone wasn't using a heavy rubber mat nor a suspension type tie-down, I could see the possible need for them. With my set up, buckles and chains work just fine. They aren't meant to be that tight. Number one mistake for damage can likely be tied back to over tightening.

eagle777
Explorer
Explorer
if you want to look at a scratched up truck bed then don't get the bed liner. I prefer not to see that so I have the liner and no slippage at all. but I can see the benefit of the rubber mat with the bedliner as they are rough and could scratch up the TC bottom.
jack
Manteca, ca

wsdepa
Explorer
Explorer
I have put over 100,000 miles on my Ford dually and Lance 981 on all kinds of roads and conditions. As has been mentioned, a rubber mat is manditory, forget the spray in liner. I have used Happijacs with zero issue, but I am sure that the Tork Lifts are just as good. I use the turnbuckle on rods and they are simple and work just fine. I do not really see paying the extra $$ for the fast guns. It only takes a few minutes to install and adjust the turnbuckles. Although I have airbags and extended bumpstops, I highly encourage you to invest in a set of the Tork Lift Stable Loads, both the bottom and top ones. With these, you probably will not need airbags and will have a reliable and trouble free ride. The best advice that I can give to a new TCer is Keep It Simple.
2006 F-350 S/C 6.0 DRW 4x4 3.73, 2005 Lance Max 981, most options. Camped 49 states and all Canadian Provences(cept Labrador). 100,000 miles and 500 plus nights of TCing.
http://truckntravels.blogspot.com/

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
With a dually, one of the main obstacles to tie-downs is the angle from the frame to the camper tie point so it doesn't interfer with the dually flare. Your camper is longer than mine so you may be alright.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Rubber bed mat is a must.

I should have elaborated, like the Kohldad did.

Even with a sprayed in bed coating, a rubber mat provides the slip resistance than a sprayed in liner can't.

THe sprayed in liners are a hard surface that doesn't offer the added slip resistance that a rubber mat will.
Bob

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even if you have a spray in bed liner, would still recommend a rubber bed mount. Helps prevent the bedliner get damaged from any small screws in the bottom of the camper while also preventing any of those screws getting pushed too hard by the truck. It just adds that little bit of give and take needed to make sure bed and camper bottom work together well.

I'm a cheap skate of sorts, yet even I saw the advantages and quality of the Torklifts mounts combined with Fast Guns. Been using them for five years without an issue.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)