cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Timbren question

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of installing Timbrens on the rear of my F350 dually. Do those of you who have them notice a harsher ride?
27 REPLIES 27

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
The things remind me of the old Freightliner 'Velvet Ride' suspension. Thete is no give. Velvet ride allowed truck drivers to seriously overload without fear of a sagging suspension.. They rode like a lumber wagon as well

Give me air bags and an on board compressor anyday. I can tailor the ride to the load plus the air bags have travel, the Timbrens are just solid urethane blocks. No travel.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
FYI --- after driving around for a week with the extra 1" spacer on, I took then off yesterday.

It was just too stiff without a gap between the Timbrens and the axles.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I love mine. Installed them on 2007 3/4 Chevy 6 years ago. First used them for my cab over for years and the ride was really good. Now i have a 5th wheel and still love them smooth ride empty and stable ride with load and still smooth.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Beau_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
After I installed them I didn't find the ride rougher but I did find it different. The sensation I noticed was that when hitting bumps, highway expansion joints, etc., it feels like a lurch or a launch out of the bump as the springs in the Timbrens decompress. I called Timbren and they sent me replacements with a lower spring rate (no cost to me) and although the sensation was diminished it is still noticeable to me.
2016 EC 960; 2016 RAM 3500 DRW CTD; Superhitch w/42" Ext; 2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon w/16' carhauler

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
I've had them on my truck for the last five years and they perform as advertised and the ride is a lot more stable.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

smooth1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I don't have them, but you should make sure your TC doesn't lean to one side or the other. If so, they won't easily fix that.

My camper is heavier on one side (drivers side), and I used to have to run 60R/40L psi in the airbags. Same camper on a newer Ram leaf spring SRW truck (2006 to 2015) and there is no extra sag on the drivers side with the Timbrens.

I also don't have to put the rear camper jacks down to stabilize the camper anymore as it used to rock an roll with the bags and sway bar on the 06.

I tried the camper on the 2015 truck without any mods and the truck sagged bad. All I have added now are Timbrens, the truck rides nice and level, and I feel that is all I will ever need.

I was surprised how well they work loaded and don't notice them at all unloaded. Worth a try for the price.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have them, but you should make sure your TC doesn't lean to one side or the other. If so, they won't easily fix that.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using them on my last two trucks for years towing TT's and FW.

Unloaded I don't know they are there, same ride/feel. The ride is more stable and less sag when loaded.

All my future trucks will have Timbrens installed.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had them on 2 different GM 1 ton trucks and they work as advertised.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Timbrens for about 5 years and my experience up until two days ago matched the other users.

I am now driving around daily with 500 pounds of tools in my truck. The space to the Timbrens decreased to about 1/4 inch. Two days ago, I installed the "optional" one inch rubber spacers so the Timbrens are in constant contact with the axle.

The ride is a bit stiffer. Fortunately, the truck is back to it's original rake, and, there is almost no lean or roll going around corners. And I am expecting one inch less sag when I load the camper.

I like it.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
I have the HD version on my truck. There is about 1-1/2" gap when unloaded so it does not affect the ride at all. When my camper is loaded there is a small gap or they are just touching and provide cushion down the road. I haven't noticed a harsh ride at all even though I was sceptical at first especially when they weren't compressed at all with the camper loaded. I thought the initial impact would be harsh, but it's not.

Ditto...but with a fifth wheel. They were a great addition.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I have the HD version on my truck. There is about 1-1/2" gap when unloaded so it does not affect the ride at all. When my camper is loaded there is a small gap or they are just touching and provide cushion down the road. I haven't noticed a harsh ride at all even though I was sceptical at first especially when they weren't compressed at all with the camper loaded. I thought the initial impact would be harsh, but it's not.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
You normally install them without a load on the truck, leaving about a 1 inch gap before they contact when loaded. I've had them on 2 trucks, and never noticed a harsher ride.