cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time for new E rated tires. Any suggestions?

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
It's time for new tires. Any recommendations for E load tires?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
32 REPLIES 32

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geewizard wrote:
Thanks to all for your input.

I've decided to go with Toyo AT II tires.

Great choice IMHO and the one I was going to recommend. All our ponies get shod with Toyo!!

I run the Toyo MT which is not a good choice for quietness or mileage. But they do have traction!!! :B

I'll have to replace them in another 6K miles (30K) and debating whether I am going to need that much off road traction anymore. If not I am going with the AT II also. At $400+ each, neither is cheap!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your input.

I've decided to go with Toyo AT II tires.

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
I like my Goodyear Silent Armour tires. They are AT tires with the mountain snowflake symbol making them count as un-studded traction tires for winter travel (superior to the common M+S rating).
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
I too had been a fan of the Michelin's but not so much since they appear to have started having problems with their newer tires. The truck currently has Firestones and they have been working out well. I really don't know about mileage yet.

Also, I use Tire Rack as a data base a lot but I find that they do not have all of the sizes of tire available on their spec lists.

The Nitto Duras look good.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
travelinglane wrote:
Hey GeeWizard - I had the same truck and year as you and I had the Firestone Transforce AT E-load tires and they were great. My Toyota was also my everyday driver and I did not think the road noise was too much. Hope this helps!

Hiya Cheryl. Yes, that helps. Thanks!

Nautique200
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Cooper AT3.
2016 Ford F450

2015 Arctic Fox 1150
2009 Trails West Warm Blood Trailer

Hodag1
Explorer
Explorer
travinglane defected to a motor home from a truck camper but her opinion is valid. Love you Cheryl!

travelinglane
Explorer
Explorer
Hey GeeWizard - I had the same truck and year as you and I had the Firestone Transforce AT E-load tires and they were great. My Toyota was also my everyday driver and I did not think the road noise was too much. Hope this helps!

jimbob3ca
Explorer
Explorer
I ran the BFG Rugged Trails on my Dodge 3500 while new until they needed replacing, then found a set of "new take-offs" for about one-third the new price. I also found that they were very poor in snow, as well as in mud. The tread just wouldn't shed the mud so it was like having slicks on. OK on pavement and dry gravel. The sidewall rubber would easily rub off if brushed against the curb.
I have now replaced them with Toyo AT II's. I am happy with these so far. They offer an 80000 km (Canada) tread wear-out warranty. Most of the loggers around my area run Toyo's, and I assume that they know what is the best, as they put huge miles on their pick-ups getting to and from the jobsite and mostly on gravel or worse roads.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Nitto Terra or Nitto Dura High load index on 17" rims. On second set now. Got 48,000 on the Terras and bought the Durra rated at 3970 lbs. at 80 psi. Cheaper than Michelins.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too must replace soon.

I have always loved my BFG AT KOs. And ran the BFG AT Rugged Trails that came on my new 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 until they wore out. Then bought (what was available in Fairbanks) a set of studable BFG Commercial ATs for our Jeep Cherokee. LOVED ALL OF THESE except the Rugged Trails sucked in the snow. They were a much milder tread that the KOs.

Began researching replacement tires about a year ago and discovered MANY online complaints about sidewall rubber deterioration and it simply falling apart! All based on a new rubber compound used by BFG. It scared me. My neighbor gave me a used set of his NEWER Rugged Trails that he had sitting in his garage and they are on now to finish out their wear. I am seeing that sidewall deterioration others have talked about!

I have been leaning toward the Michelins, but someone here said they are using a faulty rubber compound? I was leaning toward a milder AT due to travel trailer towing but now looking at a truck camper and more offroad use so will probably get the KO ATs again and hope they don't fall apart. ๐Ÿ˜•

What's a loyal consumer to do?

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
FreeLanceing wrote:
BFG A/T's 265 75 r16 rated at 3400 lbs plus. Excellent wear, exellent traction, quiet for what they are. The white letters are the best looking tire made IMO. They have an extra stiff sidewall. I am buying a set myself this week, mounted balance with FEA under 1k. I have the same tires on my other truck have 37000 on them. Someone asked me a few weeks ago where did you get the new tires. Best of all they are made in Akron Ohio USA, by hard working americans. I don't run chinese tires.

THIS ONE!!

Been running BFG 265 AT "E" on my truck for as long as I can remember (30+ years)- excellent tires. All weather - good on dirt, gravel, road, highway. Multi-purpose when it means it and needs it.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
lanerd wrote:
I put BFG Rugged Trails "E"s on mine and they have performed very well.

Ron

Same here. . .the factory equipped originals lasted 80,000 miles - mostly with the camper on.
Mostly drive black top, some dirt, a little washboard, no snow to speak of and no beaches.
So I went with same tires for replacements.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFG A/T's 265 75 r16 rated at 3400 lbs plus. Excellent wear, exellent traction, quiet for what they are. The white letters are the best looking tire made IMO. They have an extra stiff sidewall. I am buying a set myself this week, mounted balance with FEA under 1k. I have the same tires on my other truck have 37000 on them. Someone asked me a few weeks ago where did you get the new tires. Best of all they are made in Akron Ohio USA, by hard working americans. I don't run chinese tires.