cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time to Re-tire

freddmc
Explorer
Explorer
Its time for new tires for my 2005 Dodge dually. Currently it has General Ameritrac LT235/80R 17E 117R tires. I don"t know the mileage on them as I bought the truck used but they have nice even wear on them. A rough estimate is between 40-50000 miles.Coincidentally, as I browsed some of the tire dealers, the same tire appears to be the cheapest available.(145 plus shipping and installation at Tire Rack) We tow a bumper pull horse trailer so the weight is not excessive. Anyone have any other suggestion.

Thanks

Fred
13 REPLIES 13

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your next set of TIRES, sir.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been very disappointed in the Michelin LTX A/T2's that came on my F350. Currently they are worn somewhere between bald and popping with 43500 miles on them.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good service from Michelin LTX A/S tires. Over 100k on the last set on a Ram 2500HD. Just replaced the Continentals on my F250 with Firestone Transforce HT's at 66k miles. Don't know about longevity but first impression is they're perfectly round and balanced with very few and little weights on the rims. One tire has none. I hope they last because I like 'em now. Friend has had good longevity from Coopers as well.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

MOtrout
Explorer
Explorer
We have 4 Dodge dually's ranging from 2005-2008 at work and we have tried a few different brandsnof tires and so far the best 2 we came up with is the Toyo Open country HT and the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A. E rated of course. We almost always get 60k plus out of both brands. The T/A's seem to ride better though.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tires are a crapshoot! My Dodge 2003 dually 2wd came new with Goodyear Wrangler SRA. Got 67,000 miles out of them. Go back with the same tire, you bet. Struggled to get 45,000 out of that set. Was thinking about going with Michelins but I really believed they were price fixed. At that time, spring 2010, they had just brought out the LTX MS2. I could tell you the price of the LTX and the new MS2 before even walking in the tire shop door. I don't care if it was a Mom and Pop operation, franchised deal, or a nationwide corporate outfit. LTX $232 and MS2 $242. So I eventually went with Firestone TransForce HT. At the price I paid at the time even if they didn't wear well I'd still be ahead of the game. Well it will be hard to get 40,000 out of these. Never had a tire problem with any of the brands, they just wore out. No funny wear problems, alignment problems, they just wear out smooth. Rotated also. Basically same roads, same amount of trailering, same amount of running empty. Anybody that says "yeah I have 5,000 miles on these tires and they are the best I've ever had" pure BS, wait for miles on down the road. I do run Michelin XPS Ribs on the trailer, mileage doesn't come into play, just a great tire for the triple axle big boy. I have no brand allegiance to any outfit.

Al__B
Explorer
Explorer
You are happy with them? If it aint broke, don't fix it.... IMHO Replace with what you have.
Cummins Powered

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had great service out of my General Ameritracs. Good tires IMHO. I honestly forgot about them so I may be looking at a set for my dually.

I have looked at the Firestobe Transforce and even retreads from Treadwright ( great reviews btw)
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
catfishmontana wrote:
I had the Michelins from the factory on my F350, they were shot at 22,000 miles and had hundreds of cracks in the sidewalls near the bead. Way overpriced******tires. Sounds like you got decent life out of your Generals OP.

I have a set of 3rd gen take offs on my 98 Ram with 105K and they are good for another 10 easy. Michelins on the same truck 120K.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Michelins from the factory on my F350, they were shot at 22,000 miles and had hundreds of cracks in the sidewalls near the bead. Way overpriced******tires. Sounds like you got decent life out of your Generals OP.
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
freddmc wrote:
Its time for new tires for my 2005 Dodge dually. Currently it has General Ameritrac LT235/80R 17E 117R tires. I don"t know the mileage on them as I bought the truck used but they have nice even wear on them. A rough estimate is between 40-50000 miles.Coincidentally, as I browsed some of the tire dealers, the same tire appears to be the cheapest available.(145 plus shipping and installation at Tire Rack) We tow a bumper pull horse trailer so the weight is not excessive. Anyone have any other suggestion.

Thanks

Fred

The Ameritrack Mexican made junk came on my 11 Ram Dually. They were worn 2/3 at 25K. I went with Michelin M/S 2 from Discount Tire $1,408 out the door. So far with 3K on them they show no signs of wear. The Ameritracks were showing wear at the same mileage.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hankook tires are getting good reviews. Next up the line might be BFGoodrich Commercial TA

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
I always bought used one's off wrecked trucks, some had less than 4k on them. I'm not a fan of $300 tires, I'm just too cheap, and know they all wear out anyway.
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no fan of the "cheapest" tire. Rather the most affordable for my application
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.