cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIRES,,,,,need 4

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
need tires for my ram pick up truck 2012, LT265/60R20, haven't bought tires for many years and didn't realize how many different brands are out there and how expensive they are now.
Any suggestions as to a brand that is decent out there? just looking for a all terrain tire with NO off road driving. mostly highway and city streets.... thanks
49 REPLIES 49

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I used to be a diehard BFG AT fan, now I am on my 3rd set uf Sailun terramax at's twice the life of what I was getting with my AT's and more grip in the snow, and quieter on the highway. with my BFG's I would have to get new ones every 30000miles, the sailune I am averaging 50 to 55000miles.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Got some new baloney skins myself yesterday.
Took advantage of a trip to Portland !
21/32 of tread on these suckers!

Yes theres only 3 there. Similar to the OP, need 4….lol.
As luck would have it bought all 4 tax free and the 4th one is sitting in Spokane where I can pick it up next week when I’m over ‘der.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To Marty. Agreed on the greasy snow/ice comment. But for what is essentially a mud tire, the Duratracs are pretty good comparatively.
But straight cut siping always yields the best traction short of a dedicated snow/ice tread.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
made in America.

Which means absolutely nothing where quality of construction and longevity are concerned. There is plenty of made in America junk out there.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I can get the same mileage out of a set of tires regardless of price, I'll go with the cheapies. And never had a moving flat on a vehicle since the 80's, and that one was running over a big piece of something in the road.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Look at BFG All terrain, and Trail Terrain ... made in America. I've been driving on BFG TA radials for years and years and years. No problems, but one tire, one time which BFG replaced instantly. Not the least expensive, but my family rides on these tires. If I'm gonna save money, it wil be elsewhere, not on my tires.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Pbutler97 wrote:
All Terrain

Highway

Badass

You can not go wrong with this brand, performance division of Sumitomo.

I like tread on those AT's. I wonder where these tires are made?

Japan

SUMITOMO RUBBER INDUSTRIES, LTD.
MIYAKONOJO CITY, MIYAZAKI PREFECTURE
JAPAN

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pbutler97 wrote:
All Terrain

Highway

Badass

I like tread on those AT's. I wonder where these tires are made?
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
administrator/moderator wrote:
* This post was edited 10/05/22 11:16pm by an administrator/moderator *

Huh? It was censored.

Lol, you're gettin' doxxed by rvnet, Matt!

Not me, but do agree with what was first paragraph
"Opinions...... stink ??!

I also agree with grits long winded GY Duratracs comments. I'm about 20k miles. The front edges do wear quick! I'll swag my city driving at 80%,is causing this issue vs grit having 80% highway driving speeds, does not cause issues like mine.

I can't hear tone on a piano above an octave above middle C between Eand F kekeys. I hear E tone, F I hear hammer hitting the wire tapping. I hear these tires! Yes great in snow, not so great on sheet ice/snow, not enough micro sipping. After market sipping voids warranty! Boo hiss!!!

Should've stuck with Cooper AT3 like I had on 2500, both sons have on their trucks.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I've always been happy with Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Michelin at Discount Tire I've had several sets and they do well on dirt roads. Here's some discussion about them, off pavement. Expedition Portal

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
All Terrain

Highway

Badass

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:

Huh? It was censored.

Lol, you're gettin' doxxed by rvnet, Matt!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Huh? It was censored.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Contrary to my previous post there are a couple tires I DONT like.
1. Is anything that starts with Michelin….but whatever.
2. GY Duratracs. First the good. They wear as well as any quality AT/MT tire. They actually out kick their coverage in the treadwear department considering how aggressive they are and how good of traction they get in inclement conditions. But something about that particular tread design pattern (a pretty exclusive pattern. Don’t see others that look similar) makes them far and away the loudest tire that is not a dedicated mud tire (Talking tires like Swampers, not your run of the mill MTs) that I have ever used.
On my second set. First ones I bought voluntarily. Held up well considering 95% of the miles were basically I-70 and SH82 in Colorado. High speed mountain curves. A year of commuting through Glenwood Canyon at far greater than posted speed limits… They were howlin mofos!

Current set, OEM on my Trailboss. 45k miles and I’d still run them this winter no problem tread wise. And I drive over Snoq Pass couple times a week year round. Wonderful tread life.
But they are literally louder than ANY other MT tire I’ve ever had. Hands down, no contest. So loud that at certain speeds they actually resonate in the cabin. And I’ve rotated them no less than a half dozen times since new. Back tires to front, they quiet down a little because the minor tread feathering that happens on steer tires has been flattened out by running on the drive axle. And within a few tanks of gas they’re back to sounding like 44” Interco TSLs!!

I’d use them in a heartbeat in only snow conditions or jeepin. They are horrible for a daily driver.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
joelyn wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Just curious why you want an all terrain tire if you don't intend to go in the dirt? A straight hiway tire will be quieter and give you a smoother ride. And do better on ice.

I generally buy the cheapest. Works for me for over 50 years. But I do things differently with the bike. 🙂

I live in the rural section of Az all dirt roads like washboards. so thats why i think i would like a stronger tire for to and from the main roads and house...... i had the Passenger tires on the truck when i bought the truck in 2012 and they only lasted 20 ,000 miles before all tires got flats within 2 weeks of each other and all split right in the threads from the rocks...... at that time the tire guy advised me to get the LT tires and go from the P275/60R20 to the LT265/20R20 size and made a huge difference and never a problem again with flats or anything. have 40,000 miles on them now and thread is hardly worn, sidewalls still look good but the heat is a killer out here and so far 6 years might be getting to the worn point from the heat... truck rides really smooth and quiet and to me even better that the OEM P275/60 R20 tires and never have ice out here so i figured i would stick with them. just some sticker shock compared to when I bought these, LOL................... thanks for your post

Get an LT matching the size and load index (weight rating) you need. After that, I go with the cheapest and have always done well.

Not off roading but a highway tread will do just fine on dirt roads.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV