cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To delete or not to delete ?

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem with my wife’s car the other day and took it to a repair shop . As I was talking to the tech about it I noticed they had a F450 6.7 Powerstroke fire truck in a bay with the whole exhaust pipe, DEF tank off the truck. He said the fire truck ideled a lot and was not running right so they were deleting it, it only had 30,000 miles on it but being a fire truck it needed to sit and idle a lot. They saw my F350 6.7 and said it would be just a matter of time before I would need a new DPF exhaust system and said for $1700 they would delete it or when it goes for $5000 they would replace it factory new. Never had a problem with it but that got me thinking......anyone have their truck deleted ? They said it would run better, get better mpg, no DEF or regen. I told them I will think about it.
55 REPLIES 55

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Deleting any emission equipment is illegal.

There are different requirements for different classes of truck, but I think even the big rigs run DEF. I don't know if there is any exemption for things like a fire truck.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Deleting the exhaust system on the fire truck...... huh.... ok so let me just add to what the shop is doing wrong... first the only trucks exempt from emissions are the military. I can tell you from fact that our fire service can't delete and emissions unless we get the good old gov to let it happen. Despite all of the ongoing regen issues we can't still have any... repeat any of our fire service trucks deleted... EPA would have a field day. Military can however since those trucks are used throughout the world. As far as the 6.7 having any need for a delete, I don't see the reason. They seem better now then other models in the past. If u do delete keep all your parts cause u will need to put them back on prior selling the truck. And of course the shop wants you to delete it. Not only because they make money on parts and installing but they sell your deleted system on the other market and make money there.....that my experience and my opinion only. I know that in Florida, you can't trade in a truck with a deleted system. The dealer can't resell unless they put the system back in... of course they take full advantage of a deleted truck and charge u the bill or severely drop ur trade in value to reinstall the system.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"They said it would run better, get better mpg, no DEF or regen. I told them I will think about it."

Does the State of New Mexico allow the deletion? No thinking needed if the state says "no." If the state says you can, then why would Ford put parts on your vehicle that make it run worse? Get less MPG? Etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No way I would do that to a new P/U.
The systems are much more trouble free than they once were and the real life difference in mileage is negligible.
And eventually it will cause you legal problems.
Just not worth it to me.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
On another note, if you live or drive in an area where the NOx can stagnate in the troposphere and the heat creates even more NOx(like southern California or large cities) then deleting might be a bad thing. Other places where the NOx has a chance to dissipate in the stratosphere where we want more ozone, then not so much.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Deleting is typically a DIY endeavor. “A shop” advertising to perform a delete is at risk of serious fines and loosing their business license. Wonder how long they have been in business.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
My BIL tried to license his deleted 08 RAM in Arizona and they rejected it after the mirror look under it and the EGR stuff missing under the hood with caps installed. And he failed to keep the deleted items given to him when he bought it. RAM/Cummins is coming out with a new system that is going to be completely down stream of the engine. No EGR. Any repair shop that is deleting truck is putting themselves up for large fines in the fed suits walk in.

Our son's major West Coast wholesale exhaust system supplier with not even stock delete pipes anymore.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
It will all depend on what tune you use. I have two different EFI Live custom tunes and while both get better fuel mileage then stock, one gets noticeable better fuel economy than the other.

The one that gets better fuel mileage hardly ever goes past 1,600 rpm and will lug down to 950 rpm with the transmission tuning. The added power lower in the powerband allows for this. Another thing this tune does to conserve fuel is alter the VGT vanes to stay around half open cruising down the highway which is where VG turbos are most efficient. The tune that gets worse fuel mileage keeps me above 1,600 most of the time and the VGT is always around 30% while cruising down the road.

So if you decide to do it, research the proper tuner and ask plenty of questions. The right tuner can make a world of difference no only for fuel mileage, but also for reliability. There is also a myth that DEF trucks do not gain when deleting, but this is false.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
A bud of mine has a 2012 Duramax deleted. We use it to go snowmobiling in the rockies in winter. It gets much better mpg deleted. Other than that it is really no noticeable difference in running and driving. The truck is probably the opposite of a fire truck. Its main use is interstate towing a light trailer. Very little city or idle time. He did have a sensor in def tank go bad, and I think a NoX sensor go bad as well.

Note, the exhaust is louder than stock. He left the Cat on and bought a quiet exhaust. Its not loud by any means, but its still louder than factory. Not loud enough to be annoying, but driving for 24 hrs straight with loud exhaust is not cool. Just a FYI.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Only do it if you want to deal with the legal issues. It is illegal to modify the manufacturer emissions systems. In Texas, and probably other states, it is illegal to sell a vehicle in which the emissions system has been "tampered with".

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
we had a 2016 Ford 6.7 deleted. Had to put stock exhaust back on.
Here in Manitoba Canada where we don't emission test, the gov figured out they can make great deal of ticket money on deleted Diesels and vehicles with catalytic converters removed.

In Manitoba they now have roadside checks with mirrors to see if you have you DPF on, if not it fails a safety and you tow it home until it can pass a new safety with the stock DPF back on.
The 2016 we had deleted, ran better and better mileage. We put the stock exhaust back on and sold it and went down to a F150. Our other 2016 F350 6.7 long box we use for camping has always had the stock exhaust and we are keeping it.

Now the locals are gutting out the stock exhaust and getting away with it that way.
Clandeboye , Manitoba